Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
Help! My three year old suddenly won't sleep alone!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

My three year old daughter has always been a wonderful sleeper. She has been in her room for 1 year usually goes to bed at 7:30PM until 7:30AM. She takes a nap when she is tired, but this is not consistant and I don't push if she isn't acting tired. This all changed two weeks ago when  we had to travel to a wedding. (My whole family was involved. I was a brides maid, my daughter was a flower girl, my son was a ring bearer, and my husband did a reading.)  We all slept in the same room at the hotel since suites were not available. Myy husband and I were in one bed and my 3 and 5 year old (son) in the other bed. We stayed for two nights and the kids had a lot of fun being in the wedding. They slept pretty good in the hotel and we drove home. The day we drove home it was raining and after settling in our house the rain storm caused a power failure.  This had not happened in a while, but we lit candles, used flashlights, and read lots of books together. When the kids were ready for bed the power came on and we put the kids to bed as usual. This was the night our daughter decided not to sleep alone anymore. I don't know if it was the sleeping in the same room at the hotel or the power failure, but she would not stay in her bed and cried and screamed. I offered her a flashlight in case it was the power failure that caused this behavior. I usually stay and "snuggle" for awhile before she goes to bed, but that night she screamed when I left and continue screaming all night. She kept leaving her room while screaming and crying until she her voice became hoarse. We gave her extra time and tried staying longer, but everytime we left the leaving, crying, and screaming began.  This had been going on for almost two weeks!!! saWe have tried "punishing" her for leaving her room by taking away her toys in her room etc.., but she doesn't seem to care about the consequences. If she will fall asleep while we are "snuggling" she will wake up after 1 or two hours and begin the screaming and leaving her room process all over again. This will continue all night until morning. During the day she is overtired and in desperate need of a nap and she will scream and cry at nap time when I put her in her room. She falls alsleep constantly in the car because she is so tired. I am afraid to put her in my bed because I don't want to create a "bad" sleep habit. I am also afraid to sleep in her bed because I don't want her to expect this everynight. My husband and I are exhausted from all the sleepless nights. It has been two full weeks of this and no signs of getting better. Last night in my exhausted state I let her sleep on the floor of my bedroom in her sleeping bag. She was very happy and slept until she heard me trying to sneak out of the room in the morning to exercise. I want to mention that my son had a lot of sleep issues as a baby... lots of crying, no napping, etc.. from the moment he was 2 weeks old until her turned 8 months.  I read all the sleep books I could find and worked with him until he became a good sleeper. This happened at the age of two.  (He is an early riser, but is well rested and still sleeps without any problems.) The reason why I am mentioning this is because I remember that all the sleep books I read stressed how parents can creat negative sleeps patterns when allowing their children to sleep in their beds and when parents sleep in their beds.  I am afraid of doing this with my daughter, but when I ask her why she won't sleep in her room she tells me she likes to have someone with her and will occasionall mention the dark house. (I am guessing from the power failure) She has always used a night light in her room so it is not dark. So far the only thing that worked was having her sleep on the floor in my room last night. I hated it because I usually get up early to exercise (my only time I can get it in) and am trapped in my room out of fear of waking her! Help!!! What do think is going on? Most parent "blogs" talk about younger children with sleep issues and older children with night terrors, She is screaming before sleeping so I don't think this is considered night terrors. She was such a happy and independent sleeper I am having a hard time coping with all the screaming and crying. I can see her fighting sleep. Her eyes are rolling and she will close her eyes when I sit with her and then she will startle and open them to check if I am still in her room. When I manage to "sneak" out the screaming, crying, and leaving her room will begin. It breaks my heart to see her so unhappy, but my husband and I are in desperate need of sleep. What can we do?
Nothing going on other than you are sending her mixed messages,by staying with her, and letting her be on the floor in a sleeping bag,sometimes it's okay with you sometimes it isnt okay, be consistant and it will go away.Each night take her to her room read stories to her tell her she is sleeping in her own bed in her own Room and leave,she will yell and she will come out, dont punish ,quietly with no words take her back, keep repeating it, you amy have to do this to break the Habit for a few nights but trust me she will get it.You will feel bad but if you dont this will go on for a long time, make sure she is tired aswell and give her plenty of Games and positive attention and fun, get Dad involved a lot and he can do some story reading at night also. It 's called tough Love.
Being that this post is so old, im hoping I hear back from you still! How did you make It past this? My daughter and what you are doing is an exact replica of what I'm going through now. thank you in advance if you get this.