Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
Help

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

Help

what is normal behavior and development for a 3 yr old. Somone asked me about  inquired about having my son evaluated since he is very active. Turned 3 yrs old  4 months ago Receive behavior reports from school saying he is busy, wouldn't stay in line, or sit still in circle time. Has time outs.  Other children in class closer to 4 yrs old. Called to pick him up because he was busy. Not aggressive or disruptive. Very smart and happy. Suggested that he repeat 3 yr old class next yr.

What is your recommendation?      
If you have confidence in the teachers, then it would be wise to follow up on their observations. Experienced and well trained teachers see more kids over time than any parent will ever. It is in your child's best interests to seriously consider whether they are alerting you to something that needs further attention. Are they seeing the same kid who you know? Are you surprised that they described him in the way they did or is that consistent with some of the things you already know about him. Is he "busy" or overactive in situations other than school? "How do other kids react to him? Normal" is quite variable. Many boys are immature. Evaluation will not hurt your child. It will give you more information to go on. Take it one step at a time. Good luck
I think it depends on maturity level also...I have two boys one just turned 5 the other is 3--when my oldest was 3 he was very active and disruptive in class--say at cirlcle time would not sit still or kept talking or growling--very active at all times even at home--he is know in his 3rd yr of preschool and he is so much better--does not disrupt at school--the teachers love him and say how much he has matured over the three years...now my other son is so different has never had a problem in school (1st yr) he is just a much more layed back child and more of a follower--so he does listen better...If this is your child first time with formal instructions--have the teachers give him more time to mature and also have little discussions in the car with him--of different rules at school it just reinforces what is expected of him...also make sure that your preschool is formated to letting little kids learn--when they are this small they need lots of activities to keep them busy--not just sitting for the whole class and having them recite what they are being told--Where my boys go they have everything structured into 15-25 minute activities and they are based on the old philosphy of letting kids play and imitate while learning.