Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
How to handle a 5 year old who won't use the potty at night?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

I have a son who just turned 5 this month. He is completely potty trained during the day. At night, however, he wears Pull-Ups. We have tried to keep him from wetting the bed at night by restricting the amount of fluids he drinks before bedtime and encouraging him to potty right before bed with no success. We have not forced the issue, thinking that perhaps he just wasn't ready.

Recently, however, he told us that he wants to keep his "overnight" pants because he can urinate in them without having to get up. He even describes instances when he woke up, knew the pants were full, went in them anyway, and slept quite comfortably for the rest of the night in wet sheets. While we don't want to rush or pressure our son, my husband and I are starting to get the feeling that we are being controlled by a 5-year-old.

We have taken the Pull-Ups away before, trying to draw a firm line, and insisting that if he wets the bed, he will have to wake up and stand around while his sheets are changed. The problem is, he doesn't wake up. He can happily sleep all night long in a wet bed. We have encouraged him to use the restroom right before bedtime (around 7 p.m.) and made him get up to go again before we go to bed (around 11p.m.) and still he urinates in the bed. After a week of changing wet sheets every night, we caved and he is happily back in Pull-Ups again.

Any suggestions as to how to approach this dilemma would be greatly appreciated!
I would go wake him up and make him go to the restroom. Maybe he just cant get awake enough or it really doesnt bother him. Maybe if he sees you will be waking him and putting him on the potty he will eventually just start getting up himself.

Maybe some other members have dealt with this and have better advice

GOOD Luck
Is there the chance that your son doesn't feel the wetness as a sensation?