Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
How to know if my child is dehydrated?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

How to know if my child is dehydrated?

my 16 month old has 2 ear infections a sore throat and a fever......... he will not drink or eat anything, he tries to but screams like its hurting his throat and he pukes it up 2 minutes later he has had on the same diaper since this morning and it has been peed in just once....... CAN ANYONE HELP ME?
It depends on when he peed? It shows that he is getting some intake. Whenever my daughters got sick I would give them pedialyte. Last year my daughters caught some sort of bug. They passed it to each other at different times. They were vomiting/heaving about every 20-30 minutes for probably 8 hours. So I would wait for awhile, when I thought it might stop and let her drink about 2 oz but she would always throw it up. Eventually she was able to drink some and fall asleep. The nurse at our pediatricians office had me stick my finger in my daughters mouth. She said that if it comes out dry then she might be dehydrated but she wasn't. She said as long as she is having a wet diaper every now and then and having some intake then we shouldn't worry. But it always makes me feel bad watching them feel so awful and helpless. Oh yeah it is also recommended not to give them milk when they can't keep stuff down.
If he has had the same diper on all day he is dehydrated, so you have to give him liquids , water and pedialyite . even if they come back.. it wont be much ..give him sips of water often he will keep some down , if it continues go to see a Doctor as dehydration can be dangerous in a small child.you can tell if older children and adults are dehydrated as they wont go much and when they go it will be a darker than normal color, hydrated urine is pale yellow.He probably has a sore throat thats why he wont take it, persevere giving him a lot of small amounts if it is a big gulp he will throw it back..sips..