How to stop a 15 month old SCREAMING tantrum
How can I stop my nearly 15 month old son from Screaming at the top of his lungs to the point, I leave the shops and went out to dinner with friends for the first time - and left early!

My little boy is an extremely happy baby and like his older sisters, has a huge vocabularly for his age (his younger sister had to have speech pathology at 2 because her vocab was equal to a 5 year old and she purely stuttered as the words were to big for her).

He can say:   What's that, Who is this?  No, Don't touch, Sissy's, Mum, Mummy, Mumma, Dad, Daddy, Dadda, Oh WOW, woooo WOOOOOO, yes, Ta, Peas (please), Poppy, Gig-gwar (a grandfathers name), Narnie (one of his grandmothers names), Nanny, Nan, Squishy (his baby cousins nickname), Cuppa tea, cheese, more, fishy, blue, red, car, look, here, where, all gone, good girls, good boy (as i am always saying that to him and his sisters) and much more.

I am beside myself.  I have done nothing different with him then I did for his sisters (now 8 and 10).  I spend heaps of time with him like I did them and hence why he is a fluent early talker.  I had the girls reading first readers and writing their own names and mum and dad by 3.  I am doing all the same things for him....but to scream blue murder in the shop I find very embarrassing and frustrating.  I have all the patience in the world for him and am teaching him heaps at home like i did the girls....but my age might be making the screaming less tolerable but I actually never copped it with the girls.

How can I stop him.  I don't believe in time out at this early stage.  He most certainly will know his place by 2.  Like his sisters he will be polite, well behaved and very well mannered little boy.  I need some help to learn what I can do to stop him squealling now though please.

Hi, my son is 19 months old and has had these temper tantrums like yours since he was about 13-14 months old. I usually try to ignore them, although they are quite embarrassing in public, and I usually pick him up and take him outside until he calms down. At home I usually ignore it and he'll either stop or I'll put him in a chair and let him kick and scream until he's done. Your son is trying to get your attention, and the screaming is how he's getting it. Don't let him get your attention, the best thing honestly is to ignore it he'll learn he can't get his way and screaming won't do him any good. My son has stopped doing it so much now, he's starting to go through the wanting to get his way phase, and terrible twos. It's just time to be a tough mommy and not let him get his way, and to learn his place. Just like you may have had to deal with him crying and getting upset when it's time for a nap or bedtime, he's pitching a fit because he wants his way. Stay strong, it's a phase that will eventually pass, not today and not tomorrow but eventually it will.

By the way it's great that your son has such a wide vocabulary already, my son is the same way. At 19 months he puts four words together now (what are you doing). His vocabulary is more than 30 words, and I'm still amazed that he can say sentences!