Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
Inappropriate Touching

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

Inappropriate Touching

Last night my 5 year old daughter confided in me that her 6 year old cousin made her lick his penis when he stayed with us this summer. I don't know what to do next. I told her she was right to tell me, that that kind of touching is inappropriate and to always tell me right away if it happens. She doesn't really seem too bothered, though she was scared to tell me, but it sickens me that this happened.  Should I take her to a counselor?  Should I let it go?  I did call my sister to tell her what happened and I know my husband won't let the cousin near my daughter for a long time, but is there damage already done?  I really need some answers.  I am just devastated.
I think you should ..put her in counsling,if u didnt discuss what her privates are and who she should let see them touch them exc... u should def...have that with her this is not normal of a six year old aswell it makes me think that he is being abused in some way....like someone is making him lick there penis this is very importent!!!!!! DO not let it go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I would like you be very worried, but i guess us moms always worry, you want whats best for your kids and you have a urge to keep them safe and protect them.
I think that the 6 year old is in some way being exposed to something of a sexual nature, be it sexual abuse or watching inappropriate television or whatever.. but he is obviously being exposed to something.
I think you handled your daughters confession beautifully and said exactly what you needed to say.

I would keep her away from him just because you dont want her being exposed to that kind of thing... remember there is not only the opertunity available for her to be exposed to him... but also she could be in the same house exposed to the things the boy is being exposed to. I would keep her away unless you are with her at all times.

I would also just watch her closely, If you see any signs of her being bothered by the incident.... eg, pictures she is drawing, funny things she is saying etc, then I would take her to see someone.

But otherwise i dont know.. you as a mom knows whats best, you know your daughter better than anyone, you know if she is upset or acting strangly, but i wouldnt make too big a deal of it, otherwise she is going to start wondering what all the fuss is about.
But again, trust your instincts, watch her and make a call.