Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
Inappropriate Urinating in 3 yr old son

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

Inappropriate Urinating in 3 yr old son

Recently I've discovered that my 3 year old son had been urinating in inappropriate places. A little background information on our family. I'm a single mother of 2. My oldest son (from my prior marriage) moved out of our home last summer to try living with his dad; he is 8 years old and has had a nightime wetting problem his entire life. Doctors have told me that it's something he will likely out grow or if by the age of 10 it has not changed we can look into medication. Thru research it appears he has involuntary nocturnal enuresis.
During the time frame that my oldest son moved to his fathers house in another state, my youngest sons father was temporarily "unavailable". We went from a 3 person home with an active father in his life to a 2 person home with an inactive father. The 3 year old began urinating in the corner of the living room on the carpet . I did not notice right away that it was urine, at first I thought it was spilled juice or something else--it was typically something I noticed after the fact, or at least an hour later. This began 3 months after his brother left, 6 months after his father was unable to communicate with him and 1 month before his brother was suppose to come home and visit. After I discovered what happened; he was disiplined and the behavior stopped. There were 3 occassions that I knew of during that time frame and none after I realized what occured. I realted it to potty training because he was new at it; however exteremly intelligent and had been doing very well with the potty training and was daytime trained.
After his brother came home to visit (3 months later then anticipated due to snowy weather) things began to get back to normal, his father and him picked up right where they left off, his brother came home to visit and that has stayed this way for several months now. His brother left, and is again coming home for good in less then a month and in the last 3 weeks I have caught my 3 year old urinating outside in a public park under a slide, outside in the back yard 2 times and just today in the corner of his bedroom on the floor. He said he didn't know why he did it. He has access to a bathroom each time (except at the park, but never mentioned he even had to go). This morning was the most disturbing as we have 2 bathrooms and both were available. I know there are occassions where he does things to act out or throw a fit when he is not getting his way and he has a tendency to do that when he's angry, but I find this to be very disturbing and can't seem to find a lot of information about it. Im sure that some of this may have to do with the changes our lives have had the last year, but would like some information.
It's just a boy thing I think.  My son did this for a little while and so did my best friends son.  After a few months, they stopped.