Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
Is my child too young for Kindergarten?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

Is my child too young for Kindergarten?

My son is 4 years old and has an October birthday. He is in pre-school and doing very well academically. He is also doing well socially, although he does tend slightly toward the shy side. He will meet the age requirement to start Kindergarten next fall, however, I have heard that children who are young for their class often struggle in developing leadership qualities. Am I better off holding him in pre-school one more year and [potentially] boosting his confidence, or will that possibly put him at risk for being academically bored when he does begin school?
I don't mean to over think this, but I do want to provide him with an environment where he can do his best to thrive.
If he is smart enough to go to Kindergarten I would put him in.  My son is also on the younger end for Kindergarten this next year.  The problem with holding them back is they will get bored if they are academically ready for kindergarten and we hold them back.  When boredom hits in school it comes out as behavioral issues and social issues.  Unless you feel he would struggle by sending him I would not hold him back.

Hope this helps.
My son turned 5 in July and that year I kept him out of Kindergarten.  He is now in 2nd grade and is doing VERY well.  Leaps ahead of the rest of the class academically and socially.  I opted for holding him off a year because I would rather he be the oldest in the class as opposed to the youngest.  It is not such a big deal in the early grades but I think in Jr high and high school it will serve him better to be more mature.  Especially since boys tend to mature slower anyway.  My 3rd son will be 5 this year and I am planning to keep him back as well.  He will attend a 5 day pre-K this year and start Kindergarten next year when he is 6.
I, too, have a son with an October birthday (actually I have two of them) and when my oldest was 5 I pondered this same question.  I did some research and studies have shown that children are better off if they wait that extra year.  Then, when they do go to school, the work is easy, and therefore enjoyable.  My oldest is 6 this year and in kindergarten and I was upfront with his teacher at the beginning of the year and she has been wonderful about challenging my son.  He does extra work on the computer during class to build his reading and writing skills (which he loves) and his teacher sends home  extra fun stuff for him and I to work on together.  He loves school and has already mentioned college several times!  Hope this helps.  Good luck.