Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
Is my son Autistic

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

Is my son Autistic

My son is 25 months old.  When he was born he had breathing issues and required oxygen.  He has developed normally in most areas except for speech and I believe "cognition".  He doesn't point to his body parts.  He doesn't point to things and ask what they are.  He barely has any words.  He does laugh, smile, play, hug, cuddle, play ball etc.  I have no idea what is going on.  He gets very angry when we ask him to say things and often throws a tantrum.  He is in speech therapy and he does interact with the therapist but she has noticed that he seems to be much "younger" then his actual age.  He has been to a neurologist and she doesn't seem to be nearly as concerned as I am.  I don't know what to do and I worry all the time.
Has he been seen by a pediatrician?  My son is 3.5 years old and has been in speech therapy since he was 2.5 years old due to speech delay that I noticed when he was 2 years old.  He's made MAJOR improvements since then...and now speaks in full sentences (most of the time) and his vocabulary has grown immensely.  He also initiates now, rather than simply repeating things we say.  Upon the advice of his speech therapist, we had him evaluated by a pediatrician who determined that his speech delay was not the result of any other developmental/neurological problem.  Perhaps you could get a similar evaluation for your son?
I would say that your best bet is to have him seen by a developmental pediatrician. I am a special ed teacher, have a nephew who was diagnosed with Autism at 2.5 yrs and also I have worked with children who have Autism for 4 years now. Children who have Autism have many specific traits. They tend to stem (this can include flapping of hands, jumping up and down, running back and forth, etc). They also seem to be "somewhere else" part of the time. They get frustrated and angry because they do not know how to express their feelings and thoughts. Many of the things you are saying would lead me to believe that he is not butI am not a doctor.
Another thing to throw in the mix, sensory integration disorder.  My son has this developmental delay.  It involves the nervous system and the area of motor planning comes into play with sensory in the area of speech.  My son met all milestones on time and is really smart.  But he has sensory.  He was evaluated at 4 by an occupational therapist and does OT once a week.  He is now 6 and an outsider would never know he has sensory he has improved that much.
In the US, they have early intervention programs----------  it is free .  In our area it is called "help me grow" and is for birth to age 3.  They help you get the info for evaluations, help provide some therapy and do home visits to see what a child needs.  They will work with kids that just have a speech delay.  Then at 3, a child can be evaluated by your public school system for early intervention preschool (free).  We did private OT and preschool---------  and many insurances will cover occupational therapy.  
There is a cd set called "speechercize" which I really really liked.  It is a fun speech skills tape that does things like make silly faces and freeze to kid music.  
Good luck and know that if anything is wrong at all-----------  they can really help our kids these days.  Early intervention is a WONDERFUL thing!!  My son is living proof!