Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
Lack of social situations

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

Lack of social situations

My son is 21 months old. I have no friends, don't know anyone with children and do not have any transportation to find or join play groups. I moved to a new city about a year ago so I don't even have family around. I know the isolation is causing me much stress and some depression, but what is it doing to my son's well-being?
Oh honey, I'm sorry to hear your having a tough time.  As for how it is impacting your child?  Well, our children tend to react to our emotions and feelings. Plus, it would be good for both of you to be in social situations.

You say you have no transportation.  Is there public transport you can use?  Please forgive me for making assumptions, but may I assume that your financial situation is not a good one?  If that is the case, I have a few suggestions for you.  Contact some of the non profit agencies in your area.  You can google them.  Many of them will have programs for moms/tots that are free, and often they can help you find transportation.  If you have public transportation at all available, the public library has some really great free programming as well (at least it does here).  Mom/tot story times, that sort of thing.  The YWCA can also be a great resource.  Give them a call.  Many of them have swimming pools,etc. that they will make available at little or no cost to low income families.  Just a few ideas.  I work in the non profit sector, and we do a lot of free programming for families.  Even lunches you can attend and connect with other moms.  All of this is free to low income.  You have internet access, so start googling for your area. You might be surprised to find whats out there.  All the best to you.  It's tough being on your own with a little one.  I hope you can find something that can be made to work for you.  (Oh, and when you call these places let them know about your transportation challenge.  They can often arrange for bus tickets or passes if you can't afford it).  

I apologize if I am wrong with regards to the low income situation.  I mean no disrespect.
Hi.  Good suggestions by adgal.  I dont' know where you reside but if it is somewhere in which the weather will turn mild soon, this is good news.  If you have a stroller----  get it out and GO.  Talk to anyone you encounter.  Most people with kids are happy to meet others with little ones.  If you are out strolling around, you might see someone with another little one playing.  You stop and say you are new to the area and are wondering if there are any good tot times or parks or things around to do.  You'll start talking and then you stroll back by again the next day and you talk again and you get friendly.  

If there is any type of park or green space with a play set near ypu, stroll on over there.  Then again, take your little fella over to anyone close to his age and introduce him and help him play.  

He's still so little, he'd not be developmetnally playing yet with other kids.  But being around them is helpful just to get used to that.  You can work on things like sharing and taking turns at home by acting like a play mate with him.  

And if you live in the states, you could google MOPS (mothers of preschoolers) to see where they have meetings in your area.  This organization is excellent.  It is Christian based and usually run out of churches but you do not have to be religious at all to go.  They may say a prayer but it is mostly just for moms to connect.  They meet once a month officially for about 2 hours and there is child care.  Then the moms may plan play dates, social gatherings, etc.  I made one of my very best friends at a MOPS meeting.  So, you can find the one closest to you and call the leader (contact info is probably provided on line but if you just get the location and it is a church, you can call the church to get the name and number of the person)---  explain your situation with transportation and I would bet my life that someone would come by and pick you and your tot up.  

I think being around others is good for all involved.  I don't think at this young age that there would be damage to your son by not having much social interaction but soon enough, he'll want to get some practice with this.  So, just find some outlets.  good luck dear