Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
Low Grade Fever for 7 weeks!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

Low Grade Fever for 7 weeks!

My daughter 20 months old has low-grade fever for 7 weeks now.  Her urine tests and culture is ok.  We made blood tests and everything is normal.  We tried Decatron for 3 days, thought it was pfapa syndrome but useless.  Then we tried antibiotics but still nothing.  She doesn't have any other symptons.  She eats, drinks and plays normal and she is happy.  Could it be psychological? Or what else?
Tags: Fever
What is her temp exactly?
Maximum 38,5 rectally.  Comes and goes without medicine.
Hi there if you read on my posts you will find that my son has gone through the same thing.He was having fever spikes every month and then run low grade inbetween.I would have your child checked for an Epstein Barr Virus.My son was checked and it came back positive.I would make an app. with an infectious disease dr.We found out that my son has 2 illnesses.He is still dealing with the EBV which kep him having the low grade fevers and still spiking the high fevers every month for about 4-5 days with no other symptoms.Have they checked her CRP and ESR levels when she has the fevers.That could indicate an inflammation somewhere which can cause a fever too.My son will be seeing a ped. rhumetologist as well to rule out any auto immune diseases.If you need to chat I am here.I have been dealing with this since the the end of May 2009.we are waiting for another episode to spike iether this week or the next.He has them every 3-4 weeks.
Thank you for your time! We went to an infectious disease dr.  We made blood test for EBV, Parvovirus, Herpesviruses, riketssia, IGG, IGA, IGM, IGE.  All the results will be ready in 1 month. Her previous blood tests were great, CRP and ESR at normal levels. This is very strange. She doesn't have fever spikes are you are telling me. For example if she weaks up with temperature 37 (rectally) it will reach 38 until afternoon.  If she weaks up with 37,5 it will reach 38,5.  Above this point I know that the baby is sick like last week she had laryngitis.  I just know when I see her "fussy" I know that her temperature is 38,5. So is your son taking medicine? What about school?
sorry I did not get back to you.my son is not on any meds.He has not had a high fever since Oct 6 but is still having low grade fevers.he will reach about 99.6F or 37.5C at about 9am and it will last a few hours.I take his temp across his forehead which would be a core temp.Very similar to the rectal temp.While this is happening he is laying down and not eating and really fussy.I can tell he does not feel well. I do know that the temp is supposed to go up as the day goes on and during the late afternoon it will be around a degree or 2 higher. My question is why does he wake up with a fever of 99.6F.Please let me know if you have found out anything else.The only thing we have is that he tested positive for EBV. If his fevers carry on then we will see a professor at the childrens hospital.Please let me know if you have any answers for your daughter.He is only 2 so he is not in school yet.The rhumetologist also ruled out any periodic fever syndromes.
I had all the exam results just before Christmas not showing anything except from one blood test (ANCA) which was high but the doctor told me that this test alone doesn't show anything.  Finally when we did everything and paid a lot of money the low grade fevers gone!  Its been more than a month now that she is very good. As the first pediatrician told me it could be a virus that didn't show any signs and her organism took 3 months to recover.  It happens.  I hope the fevers don't come back.. and hope you find out whats wrong with your son.