Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
M 5 yr.old son has been stealing/any suggestions?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

It started with my son stealing a toy off the teachers desk.  She found it in his backpack and gave him a warning.  Then a student recieved a prize from the teacher and my son took it out of their backpack and put it in his.  When the child told the teacher it was gone, my son then lied and said he had trown it away.  Eventually my son told the truth and gave it back.  Then again, stole off the teachers desk.  All of these times were warnings home from school and my discipline of no tv time and no playing with his favorite toy for 2 days.  The most recent time, my son brought home a puppet on his bday from school.  Of course I thought it was a present from the teacher, and my son said yes that is what it was.  Today I find out that he had stolen it.  I do not know what to do anymore, he steals and lies about it.  I know that he probably takes the things because they are cool and he wants them, but how do I get him to see that what he is doing is wrong and unacceptable?  I thought that maybe I could set up something with the teacher where if he steals then he has to bring something of his to school the next day for the teacher to keep until the end of the week, but I don't know.  Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.
That's a tough one for sure.  I am certainly no expert, but one of the things that immediately comes to mind is to make him write a letter of apology (with your help of course), then take him with the letter and the item stolen back to the owner.  He then has to apologize again.  I would also probably take something of his away for everything he takes, and tell him why you took it.  

Have you asked him why he is doing this?  I think some of it is pretty normal at this age...they see something they want, so they take it. What bothers me is that he is hiding it, which means he does know to a certain extent that it is wrong.  Best of luck to you.
Is he unhappy about something at home or at school?