Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
Mean almost 3 year old

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

Mean almost 3 year old

Suggestions anyone ?

My almost 3 year old is out of control.   It started about 12 days ago.  He had a mild cold, he was very cranky from that, and it has just progessed.   He's so so mean.   Everyone that is around him, he throws stuff at now.  He won't let anyone near him.   If my husband or I, or anyone for that matter is within feet from him hes yelling at us to "GO AWAY".    It's heartbreaking to hear him say that.  He used to be so sweet and loving and now we can't go near him.   It's a struggle to get him dressed daily.  He won't eat, tiny bites here and there.   I've tried everything I can think of.   But I'm losing my mind.   THANKS!
Tags: mean, 3 years
Is it constant? Thats a little strange if so because most kids that age want to be dependent but also want to cuddle and hang out with mom or dad. I have a four year old son, and since his dad hasnt been around we are just really close and he doesnt like to be apart like at all but hes more sensitive than I've seen with other kids so idk, but he's gotten an attitude too and will talk back but he's older so its easier to explain why the behavior isn't acceptable, I know a year back he started acting out, maybe not so extreme but we were fighting A LOT more than we usually did and he would purposely try to make me mad, he stopped eventually because I didnt budge and he got in trouble for talking to me  like that or hurting my feelings (he's gone through the I don't like you/love you phase which does really hurt even if they don't mean it!) so maybe its just a phase just don't let him think its ok or he will probably continue to act that way just to get what he wants or because he thinks thats ok, I know its hard because he's young but try and tell him why he shouldn't say that kind of stuff I told my son, in tears that it really hurt me for him to say he didn't love me or want me because I try my hardest to be a good mom and I love him and he started crying and hugged me and said sorry lol I didnt mean to make him feel bad but it was one of those days and I couldn't hold in the tears. And he really doesn't say stuff like that ever anymore so just give it time, I know it *****, As for the food lol I have no idea my son hates eating unless its like chips or candy and so its like pulling teeth at every meal BUT when he was your sons age I was really worried because he just didnt eat much but his doctor told me that they don't need that much food and they will eat when they are hungry just cut down on drinks, especially milk and snacks throughout the day I guess. She also said they refuse food because they want to have control and independence and so thats one way for him to get that. I'm sorry I'm not much help but I'm sure it will pass? I hope it does soon! Just be patient, let me know how things go though!