Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
Mouthy 4 year old

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

Mouthy 4 year old

My son is 4. He is a sweet and loving little boy, but his behavior sometimes i just dont know how to deal with. He dose'nt want to listen and when you try to talk to him and he dosen't want to hear it he will cover his ears or say 'blah blah blah' very loudly. He has always talked loud and even as a baby cried alot. We've tried time out, spanking, rewards, etc.. nothing seems to work and its very tireing. He is always fighting with his older brother or little sister and like to hit or scratch them(of course they will usually fight back).At school he is a total opposite. The teacher said that he rarely plays with the other kids. He likes to play by himself and dosen't like to try new things. She has found ways to encourage him and he often says 'I cant" without even trying. I guess my biggest concern is his mouth. He is so mouthy. He will yell at you and tell you how he thinks it is. He will tell you your stupid, he hates you, etc and he gets louder or worse when you try to disapline him. After his punishment he always says sorry and i will be good but its not 2 minutes later hes right back.Help!
Sounds like he has learned this behavior so check out who else in your Family does the same,and as you spank he will hit out also, he is learning from you , how does his older brother bave towards him is he a kind brother. As he isnt like this at school then it tells you the problem lies at home,Check out who he is copying , focus on his positive side and praise him when you see him doing something right.