Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
My 2 year old won't talk or point? Help!
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

My 2 year old won't talk or point? Help!

Please help me understand what is going on. He is a very happy little boy who is extremely active. He turned two a couple weeks ago and does not say a word. He also doesn't point or follow directions unless he is getting in trouble. He won't get his ball or shoes or anything I ask and it is almost like he doesn't understand what I am asking. I work with him, he is in speech therapy and I have already got him rolling in everything in that area. Of course I have talked to doctors and had his hearing tested. His hearing came back fine. He responds to his name some of the time, he is very loving and affectionate, he likes interaction and sharing. He has no sensory issues at all and no repetitive behavior. He makes eye contact frequently but not constantly and not for prolonged periods of time. He is at normal level in his cognitive activites and learns quickly in things that he can see such as the computer or iPad. I don't know what is going on. Please let me know what you think could be the issue.

Tags: Speech, delay, 2 years, 2, Autism, not talking