My 3 year old repeats almost everything I say
I have a 3 year old boy who seems to be having a language development delay. He has a very sharp memory and can read the entire alphabet, count to 30 and knows lots of poems etc. Socially however, he is withdrawn, doesnt play actively with other kids of his age.

What is concerning to me is that he repeats almost everything I say. He will even repeat what a stranger passing by or sitting next to us say in a restaurant is saying. He doesnt seem to acknowledge the presence of others and doesnt seem affected by who is coming or going. He cant answer basic questions like What is your name, what is your age. If I try to teach him, he will simply repeat the question I pose. He does recognize his mommy, daddy, uncle, aunt and when I ask where is , he is able to point to himself. He can also communicate in basic sentences like You want Juice (he doesnt say I want, everything is you want)., You want Milk, You want toy, You want book etc. But if I  initiate a conversation like Hi - do you want to play with Mommy? He will simply repeat what I say. He started going to school 3 days a week, 3 hours a day in September, and his teacher made similar comments. He doesnt sit or participate in Circle time, nor does he respond to any of the questions his teachers ask. He simply repeats instead.

I am getting concerned but dont know if its simply his personality, mild autism, delayed language development. I am planning to take him to his pediatrician to have him evaluated. Are any of you out there in the same boat? I would love to hear some comments.
I have worked with children with Asperger's with some of the same symptoms
You have just described my nephew - he has been diagnosed with PDD-NOS which is a form of high-functioning autism.  Please contact your son's pediatrician as soon as possible for advice re help and intervention.
One of the kids in my Sunday school class is autistic and the things you are saying about your son are similiar to the way he is. I would definitely have him checked if your ped is no help I would seek other help, you would think your doc would have suspected something at the routine check ups
HI! MY SON IS ALMOST 4 AND HE HAS THE SAME SYMPTOMS!HOW IS YOUR SON NOW?AND WHAT IS YOUR ADVISE?PLEASE I NEED ANY ADVISE!THANK YOU!
HI! MY SON IS ALMOST 4 AND HE HAS THE SAME SIMPTOMS!HOW IS YOUR SON NOW?
Hi ,

My son have same symptoms like your son had in 2011 , please advice how is he now ..