Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
My 4 Year old boy will not sleep at night!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

My husband and I dont know what to do with our 4 year old son.  For the last month he will not sleep at all during the night.  Waking up 5-6 times a night or more!  It is ridiculous.  We have tried putting him in our room, but on a mattress next to our bed, he still wakes up screaming crying.  I almost think he is having those night terrors.  He crys uncontrolably, gets up and starts running, etc.  He will go to bed around 9 or 9:30 and 45 minutes later he wakes up and that continues through the night until around 3am.  I feel that we have tried everything, but maybe someone else has some ideas for us.  Please Help!  
Has anything happened in the last month could have upset him or that he is anxious about, is school working out okay does he get on with the teachers , check out all avenues where he could be scared also does he see any scary TV how about Babysitters , what do they do in the Way of activitys, when they are there. Ask Dad to get involved in Games and sports and use up some energy.
Thanks for your comments.  Nothing has happened in the last month or two.  My husband is a teacher and has been home all summer with the kids.  He is an awesome dad, plays all the time with them, does school work with them, plays sports, etc.  We do not let our boys watch scary movies or the news on tv.  Our sitter is our next door neighbor and she is the only one that watches them, besides their grandparents.  He starts is 2nd year of preschool in a few weeks and loves it.  So honestly I have no idea what is going on with him.  The last couple of nights have been a little better, so I am hoping he is on his way to getting through whatever it is that he is having a hard time with.  His older brother had had some anxiety issues for the past couple of years.  But has been working through them and I think as he gets older he understands more about his fears.  For example he has had a fear of the wind, big issue with him, he wouldnt even go outside, and my kids love to be out doors, but we took him to a fear busters class with other children, and he has had no issues at all.  This took about 6-8 months, but I think because he is older now (8) he know how to deal with things a little better.  Anyway, my younger one could be going through the same thing, but with sleeping.  Thanks again.
Melissa
Perhaps your 4 year old has heard your older son speaking about his fears and is copying ,a lot of children do copy and learn from older children,this seems to me to be a possible factor in your 4 year olds behavior, listen to the conversations between the two boys as he could be hearing scary stuff that way and your older son may not realise some things can be scary for a 4year old,,many children have night terrors so this may be contributing to the problem.