Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
My 4 year old won't eat

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

My 4 year old won't eat

My 4 year old son will not eat.  This has been going on for about 2 to 2&1/2 years now.  He snacks a little bit here and there, but not much.  We throw a huge celebration when he eats more than half a piece of pizza.  Every one tells us to just wait him out, he'll eat when he's hungry.  But he doesn't.  I know he's hungry, I can hear his stomach growling all the time.  I need help.  What can I do????
How is his weight compared to other kids his age?  Talk to the pediatrician before dosing the child with anything.  In fact, talk to the pediatrician.
I am 100% with anniebrooke.  Talk to his Dr.  Do not start giving him medication.  Has he stayed on his growth curve?  And is he basically healthy?

A couple of ideas for you (although I still believe talking to his Dr. is no 1).

Keep meals at scheduled times.   Make sure there is at least 2 hours between eating (snacks and meals).  For at least 1 hour before a meal, offer only water to drink.  Try to eat as many meals as a family together and do not say a word about what he does or does not eat.  It should be a very normal activity with no fuss if he doesnt eat and no celebration if he does.

If your child is a normal, healthy weight and is healthy overall, there is probably no need for concern.  If he is dropping weight, or underweight then you do need to be working with your Dr.  My son is 3 and we had some issues a while ago.  I got a referral to a Pediatric Nutritionist who gave me some very helpful hints and idea.  

All the best to you.

In reading through this thread,  I'm not sure I see where the thought of giving him medication came up.  In fact,  I didn't even know there was any kind of OTC medication for appetite increase -

I had a son who wouldn't eat,  and it turned out to be anemia.  It's a vicious cycle - the child won't eat,  so he develops anemia,  and that suppresses his appetite so he won't eat.

In general,  does he seem energetic and healthy?
R.R., the original thread had a first poster who recommended two medications, pretty specifically.  They didn't even sound OTC.  That's what we were reacting to.
Thanks,  Annie.  I kept rereading,  and wondered where that extra information was coming from.  Sounds like it was deleted - with good cause!
I have a VERY picky 3yr old. He is above normal with height and weight just because he is so tall for his age. You would think that because of this he would want to eat but he never does. I have gotten to the point where as long as he eats something I'm happy. But I have gone to the pediasure things every once in a while and he loves yogurt so I give him those danimal yogurt smoothies. Every little hit helps. But I think it's normal. My niece is 5 and has done the same thing since she was about 2. Unless he isn't acting like a normal 4yr old I wouldn't worry too much about it and just keep doing what you're doing. Does he have a male figure he really looks up to like his daddy or grandpa? May try to let him call them and tell them about him eating a plate of food or what not. That may help too.