Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
My 5 yr old is afraid to sleep in her own room, how can I fix this??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

My daughter has never slept in her own bed consistently. Her father and I separated then divorced and I will admit we didn't create the most stable environment for her.  We lived with my parents so she didn't have a choice about where she slept. Now we live on our own and she seems to be terrified of being left alone, even though my room is right next to hers and I leave lights on and doors open. What can I do to help this problem??
Maybe you can try to gradually turn one light off at a time or maybe try turning some of them off once she falls asleep.  She may still be affected by the divorce and worried that she may be "left" too.  You can try explaining to her and reassuring her that you are not going anywhere and that you love her and would never leave her.  It is going to take time but she may eventually become comfortable enough to let you turn out the lights and shut the doors.  Right now, that may be her way of making sure you are still there!