Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
My Lazy Potty-Trained Son
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

My Lazy Potty-Trained Son

My son will be three in just over a week.  He was adopted from Kazakhstan at 15 months and, at the time, he was almost potty trained (just the occasional pee accident).  It was suggested that we put pull-ups on him for the our trip home because of the long plane trips, the altered schedule, and the fact that we understood different languages.

Suffice it to say, he liked the whole diaper idea and apparently decided that it was much more convenient to use a diaper than to go to the trouble of using a toilet.  Even back then, when we put him on the potty he knew what to do so it's not as though the training part ever went away.

Well, fast forward to the present.  Mr. Lazy now only poops in the potty because, quite frankly, he doesn't like sitting in poop and he detests having a poopy diaper changed.  Our problem is with the peeing.  Sometimes he'll decided to pee on the toilet, but usually he just opts to pee in the diaper.  If we win the negotiations to get him on the potty to pee, he pees like a champ.  It's a power thing or a lazy thing.  He will go potty when he wants a "prize" of chocolate (M&Ms or Kisses).  It's driving me nuts.

Any suggestions?  I've tried the take the diaper off approach but he just pees anywhere it amuses him and I can't follow him around all day with a wet/dry vac.