Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
My Lazy Potty-Trained Son

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

My Lazy Potty-Trained Son

My son will be three in just over a week.  He was adopted from Kazakhstan at 15 months and, at the time, he was almost potty trained (just the occasional pee accident).  It was suggested that we put pull-ups on him for the our trip home because of the long plane trips, the altered schedule, and the fact that we understood different languages.

Suffice it to say, he liked the whole diaper idea and apparently decided that it was much more convenient to use a diaper than to go to the trouble of using a toilet.  Even back then, when we put him on the potty he knew what to do so it's not as though the training part ever went away.

Well, fast forward to the present.  Mr. Lazy now only poops in the potty because, quite frankly, he doesn't like sitting in poop and he detests having a poopy diaper changed.  Our problem is with the peeing.  Sometimes he'll decided to pee on the toilet, but usually he just opts to pee in the diaper.  If we win the negotiations to get him on the potty to pee, he pees like a champ.  It's a power thing or a lazy thing.  He will go potty when he wants a "prize" of chocolate (M&Ms or Kisses).  It's driving me nuts.

Any suggestions?  I've tried the take the diaper off approach but he just pees anywhere it amuses him and I can't follow him around all day with a wet/dry vac.
hard to know but my youngest tried to train at age 15 months and the sitter didn't follow through- she didn't want to be bothered- don't bring it up again til his second birthday then tell him it's a rule or try something silly like that- "Boys have to try to give their diapers up on their second birthday"
This was one of those posts that one has to have a chuckle at on visualising you chasing him around the house with the wet dry Vac, he sounds wonderful and a character , congrats on getting such a boy . 15 moths is very early for a child to be potty trained so they are ripe and ready to fall back again , the answer really is run around with the weyt and Dry Vac.You wre right once you put on the pullups and enabled him to pee where he wanted to you are back to square one .Be consistant , and follow him and sit him on the potty at intervals, leave the diapers off getting him some really great big boy underwear, give him lots of praise and positive talk, about how clever he is when he uses the Potty. Persevere he will be trained by college , honestly .