Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
My Son Holds His Breathe Right Before He Goes To Sleep

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

I just started to notice this week , my son holds his breathe right before he goes to sleep. i am thinking he is blacking him self out or something is wrong for him. i am taking him to the doctor tomarrow to find out i am just curious right now cause i just put him to bed tonight and he was doing it. he will be 2 next month , he lays down takes a brethes and exhales and takes another deep breathe , he only exhales for a little bit and quickly already holding his brethe again. im scared though. then after like 5 mins he in a deep sleep breathing right, normal. so my question is , is he okay , is this normal , what?
Tags: My son
I would have them check for sleep apnea.  It is a condition which the breathing becomes irregular especially during sleep.  There are sleep studies that can be done to monitor for apnea and machines to wear at night that push air in so that it doesn't occur.
good luck.
If he holds his breath it's not. Big deal. My sister when she was younge would throw fits and hold her breath till she passed out. So my step mom would freak and do what she wanted so she wouldn't do it. The doctor told her as long as she is laying down (she usually was) or wasn't near anything that could harm her to let her do it. As soon as they pass out their body automatically makes them start breathing