Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
My Son is driving me sick because he does not eat...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

My son has just turned 4. He is smaller than other kids his age. He is very smart so i know congnativly he is growing but he is not getting bigger (size). He is the worst eater one can find. I have heard that they will eat when they get hunrgy, kid don't stay hungry. But he seriously does. He is not a picky eater he is fussy eater. I don't want to yell at him, or fight with him for food but he seriously does not eat a proper meal. I am so very worried about him. He is very active and the Doctor says he is ahead in cognative-growth but I am still very concern. I am not sure what to do, I have tried the "time-limit", the i won't force you to eat, but nothing works.

Please some one help, I mean we have done the tests and he is fine. But he makes me worried.
wow.... that describes my 4 year old daughter perfectly!! LOL  she weighs 35 pounds and is very tall for her age. she is also VERY intelligent  and by far surpasses most kids her age. If i left her sitting at the table with any meal.... she would sit there ALL day if i let her. I have also tried the timing method and it didnt work. i timed her this morning eating a piece of toast, it took her 47 minutes to eat 1 piece, and that wasnt including the crust!! AND i nagged at her several times!! HELP ME!!!  i've been to several doctors and they've all said that its normal, she'll grow out of it and to just be patient with her.... I've taken her favorite baby away (stuffed elephant)... and still nothing. if anyone can help me out i'd really appreciate it!!
My son is the exact same way. He is only 3 though. He will not eat ANYTHING. He just started daycare a few weeks ago and he will go all day at daycare and not eat a thing. The first two days he wouldn't even drink. It made me sick to my stomach. We have tried it all as well. If I hear one more person tell me that he will eat when he gets hungry, I will scream!!!!! I know we are now just a few moms who all have the same problem and no answer.

Please someone help us moms, we are desperate.
I'm gonna ask, since now I'm starting to wonder if we're not picking up on something with our oldest.  She's 3 1/2 and weighs 32 pounds, extremely tall for her age and thin.  Not tiny tiny thin, but pretty skinny.  She's my finiky eater.  And it hasn't bothered me, yet, although my mom stresses out over it far more than me.

Here's the scenario at our house...she doesn't eat (much if anything) for maybe a couple weeks running or a month and then suddenly she'll eat pretty much everything.  Well, that means for a week maybe 10 days, she'll have 1 or 2 good meals a day (still small portions, but pretty good).  Then it's back to very little eating.  The only thing she does consistently is drink her choc milk.  I can always count on her to follow a similar pattern, maybe the patterns are stretched out sometimes further.

She typically doesn't eat breakfast, maybe a bite at lunch (sometimes more depending on whether or not she's been outside) and then 2-3 bites at dinner (and we try not to make that a battle, but she loves an after dinner sweet on the rare occassion, so the rule is to eat at least 3 bites before 1 bite of sweet).  

Does that sound like your situation or is ya'll's different?

When she does eat, we almost freak out, because it's rare and such a pleasure to see her eat.  We try to never say anything about the "not eating" and just try not to overdo the praise for the "good eating".  It's just weird, but I can watch and see she's growing and appears healthy although pretty well standing on the skinny side.  But I've seen some of her classmates that look smaller than she, although those kids are shorter (but not younger).

Our doc has said the "she'll eat" philosophy.  And she's also said that her routine is pretty typical for some kids.  Apparently she must get enough to eat since she's really pretty active.

Sound close to ya'll or do I misunderstand?  Just wondering, not to offend anyone.
At least, all of your children are growning. He is short for his age that's what concerns me. He is very smart as I said but not tall, not super skinny too. Anyway I am jsut at a point where I am giving up with the food issue, if he eats he eats can't make him anymore. I think I will try not to talk about food anymore. I will let it be, and see how it goes. Cause right now Food is the biggest concern. Thank you.
My Daughter is 3, and doesn't eat.  Never has really.  My husband is super stressed about it, I on the other hand think she'll eat what she needs.  She was only 5'11 at birth, and has stayed small since.  She is tall but very skinny.  (she is considered boarderline failure to thrive) We've tried timers, rewards, punishments everything and anything.... but nothing works.  She eats to stop hunger pains but won't eat more.  Although like the lady above said once in a blue moon for about 2 days she'll eat and eat, then back to not eating again for weeks.
Does anyone have any ideas what to do????
I don't know if I am relieved or alarmed to hear that others are dealing with the same feeding issues as I am. My son is 4.5 yrs old & only about 33 lbs. He has been in the 10% for weight for the last couple of years & i fear he may be lower than that at this point. He hads always taken a long time to eat and is very picky. Recently he has started to make himself puke after eating. I just want my son to eat so he can be healthy. I feel like I am going to go insane if this does not get better soon.It was bad enough when he just was not eating well...but now puking? I do think it's intentional, not because he is sick.
my son turned 3 in march. he is 23 lbs and average height. he is very very skinny from head to toe. you can see his rib cage perfectly and he has bird legs, it worries me to death. at his 3 yr well visit he lost 2 ounces but grew 3 inches. the dr wants him to come for a weight check monthly. he has no desire for food..even sweets and ice cream. i would cook him anything but i just end up throwing it out. im worried and sick of hearing he will eat when hes hungry. ive tried all the tricks of the trade and nothing works. any suggestions?
i have been thru what you are all going thru, the time limits, no snacks in between etc..you name we've done...now i have a grandchild and for awhile she was eating very well, then when she hit age 2, she stopped!! i decided then and there i wasn't going to do what i had done before...i didn't let it get me..i didn't show her i cared (i would cry in the bathroom later, haha) but  I DIN'T LET IT BECOME A POWER ISSUE!! i would put the food in front of her, some meals would be her favorite, others would not, and we all ate and had a grand time at the table whether she ate or not...when the meal was over (we usually had about 30 - 45 minute meal times with conversation etc)  we would clean up, and clear the table, if she just drank milk, we were ok....no more nagging, no more prodding, no more bribes...there were meals she ate even 2 bites, there were meals she would clean her plate, there were meals she touched nothing, after about 4-6 months, i am glad to say she eats very well now, there are meals she stll won't eat, but over all she eats very well...phew....she is tall too for her age, and she is very intelligent and active as well....i DID cut down on her choc milk and give her fresh milk instead...but i NEVER gave her milk for snacks etc...water and cut fruit is her main snack with raisins etc, crackers and cheese...i know i will get some ribbing, but yes, i do believe that kids will not starve themselves...lo,...sorry folks...just had to say it....make meal times fun, ignore the not eating, and it WILL get better!!

thanks, marlies
I agree, just the fact that so many of you are having this issue tells you it's normal..  The more you make of it, the more you will not only stress your child but yourselves as well.  I went thru this with all 3 of my children and truth is......they will eat when they are hungry, they will not starve to death.  Maybe not what you want to hear but it's the truth.  Remember also, that a thin baby will be a healthier adult, less fat cells.  I do believe that if you make your child something to eat and make them sit down in front of it, if hungry they will eat, if not, they won't.  All of you can relax.
My mother always told me to never force a child to eat. She also said not to take away their food ever too. My daughter goes through periods of time where she will hardly eat at all and other times she eats me out of house and home. When I was little I rarely ate. I only ate 1 meal a day. I got my daughter to gain some weight by giving her Pediasure. She's up to 2 a day now and they make her look normal instead of super skinny. She is also pretty tall.
When I was a kid I just looked at a plate of food for about five minutes and said I was done.  I did this for years. I would only eat cream of wheat or oatmeal and a banana before bed.  Kids are smart and won't stave themselves.  I think it is awful when parents force their kids to eat.
Hello, when my son was little (he's now 4) he would eat one bite of cereal, didn't care much for icecream, he'd have a couple of licks and be done, and barley drank any milk. We had sooo much trouble with him in joint pain, and could not figure it out. He was having a reaction to anything with dairy 4 hours later, and we didn't know it. I could only imagine how much more pain he would have been in if we were "force feeders". I think somehow he knew, although he did love yoghurt and string cheese. But now that we know what's going on, he even has a reaction from 1 mcDonald's french fry. I had no Idea they had milk.  My sister in law told me that also when they are going through the not eating phase, they tend to crave sweets, their brains are growing, and to "feed" them educational information at that time. And when they are eating lots, their body is growing, and let them learn at their own pace.
My son will be 4 in two months and is not interested in food.  The only foods he really likes are Goldfish crackers and Cheez-Its.  We noticed, however, when he ate them, his behavior would be horrible for hours afterward, so I stopped buying them.  He has maybe 10 foods that he will sometimes eat, he won't eating any of the meals that I make for the family.  To the people who say he will eat when he is hungry, what should I do when he says he is hungry, I hear his belly growl, but he still refuses to eat the food I made for him?  (Pizza, corn dog, burger, PBJ - normal stuff!!)  He starts acting like an animal when he is hungry, so I desperately try to find something with protein that he will eat.  There is almost nothing left that he is willing to eat.  This is ruling our lives.