Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
My Toddler will not eat solid foods

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

My Toddler will not eat solid foods

My toddler, who just turned two is small for his age.  He does not eat solid food very well.  He loves pediasure, and usually consumes 3 pediasures a day.  However, he frequently eats nothing, or next to nothing else, even of foods that he likes. For example, he gets very excited about pizza, and will sometimes eat it, but most of the time he will get excited, but fail to eat.  We always offer him a variety of foods.  We have at times withheld milk and pediasure to make certain that he would be hungry at meal time, but he still would not eat.  We are thinking that there might be physiological reason.  His doctor does not seem to worried, but we can't help but wonder if there is something wrong.  He weighs on 25 pounds, and is 34 inches tall at age 2.  Any ideas what might be causing his failure to eat solids?
I can understand your concern! I have a 15 month old son, and sometimes he drives me crazy when he does this. Actually your son does not seem to be very underweight...remember, there are averages and then of course, there are kids who are above or below these averages. Toddlers are just like adults...some adults are naturally slimmer than others, and some are bigger, and some are average.

http://www.babybag.com/articles/htwt_av.htm

My son was 27 pounds ate his year checkup. A bit above average. Your sons height is right on target for his age, so his is growing, and therefore seems to be healthy!

Think about it...if you were 2 yrs old and had this whole exciting world to explore...whould you want to stop and eat!! Dont cut out his milk though, he needs it especially if he wont eat the solids alot. Is it cows milk or breast milk? I would cut out the pediasure though. That will be calories he can use on foods. During this age, up until 5yrs, toddlers growth starts to slow down and therefore they wont consume as many calories as they did before. 3 small meals and 2 small snacks alond with milk should be sufficient.

These are things my son loves, maybe you can try it?
Tapioca pudding
Yogurt (Go-gurt...the kind in a tube that you can even freeze)
Cream of Wheat
Pasta (or spagetti in a can, all types)
Scrammbled eggs
Rice (even chinese fried rice!)
Fish (tuna in a can with a bit of mayo)
Fries
Cheetos
Cheerios
Vegetables cooked really soft and diced up small enough
100% juices
Wow...I have alot of typos!!!!!! Thats what i get for typing and trying to control a active 15 month old LOL
I agree with all,of the above, also dont make a big deal of his eating put the food in front of him and let him get on with it, no coaxing,no pressuring him to eat.Act as if you dont mind whether he does or not, he could be getting a lot of attention over it,Can you make sure he is active enough and not sitting around , how about Ball games and other physical stuff so he builds up an appetite, less emphasis on the eating more on Fun and Games.
He is very active.  The doctor recommended that we continue to use the Pediasure as it is a complete meal replacement.  
Then give him other foods aswell , amy be soft food, make sure he is swallowing okay and he has no teeth ache, as he would not want to eat food that hurt his throat.
http://www.ellynsatter.com/pdfs/HowToddl.pdf
I found that the article has some good tips.

The most common suggestion is to consistently schedule meals and limit snack in between (grazing). I know that you've done this before but I would try it again. Offer the pediasure as the beverage during the meal and be consistent.

If there are still problems then a feeding eval with a SLP would be a good way to go.They can rule out some common physical problems with eating.

Hello. I see that your original post was a couple of years ago. I have a 19 month old son with the exact same story. If it wasn't for Pediasure, he would starve!! How are things now with your child?? Any suggestions?? My son has been tested for every GI condition known to man! All tests have come back normal but still no intake of solid foods!!! uugghhhh!! Can be very frustrating as a parent to watch your child hate meal time...throw food off of his high chair, and pull what he does put in his mouth back out!! And these frustrations are not seen by him; I always try to make the mealtime fun! We clap, we use a "Woody" doll to eat a bite and then have my son eat a bite...only works for a bite or two (if that).
We have the same issue with our two year old daughter. She only eats stage two baby food and cheerios. What makes it worse is she has a milk protein intolerance so we cannot even supplement with pediasure.
Hey! My daughter is 17 months old and does the same thing! All she will have during the day is pablum, juice, and milk.. sometimes a yogurt. Before she got teeth, she would try anything! For babies and stuff I was eating. She started getting teeth around 11 months, and she just stopped eating anything except jar food, pablum, milk and juice. A couple months ago she quit eating the jar foods out of nowhere. I've tried everything I possibly could. She makes her self gag so she throws up, just to get the food out of her mouth. It's so upsetting. It's been almost a year since you posted, but how long did after did your little one start eating solids and not refusing anymore?? Any tips?
im there with you! My son is now 5 years old and has never, NEVER, swallowed solid food! We have tried every suggestion from doctors, therapists and specialists!  He does lick certain foods like parmasean cheese, ketchup and LOVES pedisure shakes!
my son is going to be 18months old this month, he does exactly what your daughter has done. he gags and vomits after trying to eat or chew a piece of solid food. he's doctor doesnt think it's a big deal because he's weight and height are above average. he does drink whole milk, which i've slowed down on giving him during the day because i don't won't him to fill up on just milk but it's so hard to watch him turn food away. he will eat a yogurt, but not every day. is the situation with your daughter changed by now and if so, how did you get her to eat solid foods????
hey my son did the exact same thing as your daughter. Is she eating solids now? Or anyone else who had this problem did you find a solution?