Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
My nearly 2yr old not talking?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

My nearly 2yr old not talking?

My youngest son who is 22months is not talking yet. I have tried tirelessly over the months to get him to talk but all he does is make sounds, the only thing he can say is mama but even then, and especially to others, it's more of a sound. He was very quick at everything else as he started walking at 10mnths, does all the normal things of most children this age and he seems to know most of the time what we are saying but in response he just makes his sounds, and doesn't seem to use his tongue. I have not seen his GP about this yet because word of mouth told me they won't do anthything until he is of nursery/school age. What we lack most with him is communication, he is fast on his feet and yet he's still in a pushchair when we go out because otherwise he just runs off in any direction and he gets very frustrated if he is in need because he can't tell us otherwise, so has anyone else experienced this and will he catch up eventually or should I just see his GP anyway?
Lesley from UK
I think you should see his GP.  It's good that he appears to understand most of what you're saying,  but it's a concern that he doesn't appear to have even one word yet - it sounds like he uses the sound "mama" not in context?

Have you tried simple signs with him - does he have any way to communicate with you like pointing,  taking your hand and leading you to what he wants,  etc.?