Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
My toddler (nearly 3) keeps holding his poo in!!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

My son is 3 in May and has been out of nappies for a good few months, having dry nights however an ongoing problem with pooing. He will hold it in for days and have little accidents (skids) in his undies. He won't tell me when he needs to pooh, he goes off alone in a corner, goes bright red, squeezes his bum together and crys. He has poo'd many of times on the toilet and I have praised him for it, done a potty chart, you name it I have done it but he just ends up back to square one again. I have been to the doctors several times as he has gone 6 days without going, his belly swells up and eventually he just goes. He is taking regular lactolose, but wont take anything other than medicine. He has started to develop a bad rash around the bum, which has been treated but been left with really dry skin, which he says is sore when pooing. He will lie down when he has the urge to go, and puts up a fight when I go to put him on the toilet. He is just happy skidding in his undies and not even telling me until I smell it. The doctors don't give me any advice just give me more medication which he WONT take. Its been ongoing for 6-12 months now and driving me crazy and is very unpleasant for my boy ..please anybody with any advice let me know :(
I was so stressed about my son not trying to potty train, but when I left it alone he did it on his own, I must admit though, the potty chart helped with me a LOT after my son realized what it was. He did all of the things your son is doing, hiding to go potty, holding it, etc, my doctor told me the holding it was a common pre-potty training act for children, they hold it because they DON'T want to go in the potty, and it backs them up. My advice is don't push it, because it makes it worse, and don't stress about it! Are you putting him in underwear? If not, I would, he will know he doesn't have the comfort of a diaper right there so when you're not looking he can sneak away and go potty! My son would hold it for days too, and my doctor told me as long as it's no more than 7 days (CRAZY right?). Keep doing what you're doing, you're doing all you can, and your son will catch on soon enough!
why not try going together? let him sit on his potty chair Angeles you or daddy on the toilet, let him read something or have a conversation while going, show him potty time can be fun :)
and** not Angeles lol, damn phone!
Our pediatrician told us to give our son miralax until he was pooping easily and regularly when he was doing this. He said we needed to break the cycle. He said by making his poop a lot softer and more frequent, he'd learn that it wasn't always painful when he had to go. It doesn't taste like anything and we just put it in his milk. It took about a week before he stopped holding it out of fear of the pain. Once in awhile if he gets constipated we'll have to do it again until he realizes it isn't going to hurt. You might also want to check his diet and eliminate foods that increase constipation while you are doing the potty training. Good luck!