Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
Nearly 2 ½ yr old, speech delay or something worse always talking to hi...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

Nearly 2 ½ yr old, speech delay or something worse always talking to himself.

My son was born at 32 weeks and currently is 29 months old.

He does not have any recognizable(to anyone but his parents) speech beyond Mama, dada, and bye.  He knows plenty of words but will just say the first sound, such as “sha”, “ba”, “gra”, “aah”, “pa”, “pee”, “chee”, etc.  He has progressed just excruciatingly slow.

He knows his colors, so a typical conversation would be, what color is that? “Ba”, then we say “Brown?”, he’ll nod and say “hesh”, that his yes these days.  If it was really “blue”, he’ll continue to say “ba”, “ba” until he hears us say the correct answer.

He did see a speech therapist routinely about 6 months ago but we felt he was too young to really interact much so stopped.  Since then he’s exhibited “weird” behavior and which has amplified my wife’s concerns.  She’s deeply concerned about his mental well being, deeply concerned and hesitant to seek professional opinion on fears of the anwser.  

He talks to himself excessively, in jibberish of course, but it appears he’s thinking he’s having a conversation.   To a stranger, it would seem someone pushed an “on” button, and just continually makes sounds, a lot of times just infantile shrieks or other sounds.  He will engage you and it won’t be noticeable, it’s just like if his mind has nothing to process at the moment, he’ll go off.

He has some issues with hyper activity, but I don’t believe it’s that bad requiring medication.

The main concern I think of my wife is the talking to himself.  I know kids do this but to what extent before one is concerned for an under 3 year old.  Basically, my wife thinks he’ll be like this as an adult.   It also sounds worse, since he’s not making any recognizeable speech when doing it.

Hello!

1) I would advise returning your son to speech therapy.  Even young infants can benefit greatly from the right program.  The progress can be slow, and sometimes it's very hard to see because gains made in one-on-one therapy do not generalize to "real life use" for a long time, but the foundation is being laid and that language/speech stimulation is really beneficial.  The earlier, the better!  It will be much harder to remediate his problems when he's older and they begin to interfere with his education.  Getting this "nipped in the bud" before the preschool years is the best bet.  

That said, make sure you find a therapist who is well-recommended, fits your son's needs, and is receptive to your goals/needs as a parent.

2) Is he just talking randomly, nothing recognizable, while interacting with others and various objects in a variety of ways?  If he's just babbling during play, it could be typical for his level of language development.  Many young children talk to themselves during pretend play, telling stories, creating a dialogue. In your son's case, he has a limited expressive vocabulary and unintelligible speech.  This creates a situation where most of the words he needs for the "dialogue" for play do not exist, or cannot be understood by you.  He actually might be making up a lot of words, but it's not entirely uncalled for or concerning.  

I would be more concerned if he is exluding others from interactions while doing it ("zoning out"), repeating the same sound/intonation pattern over and over, copying "scripts" from something he's heard previously, like a book or TV show, or if he only did it while using a certain toy or object in the same way each time.  

If you guys are really concerned or you think there's a major difference in the way your son interacts vs. other children his age, I would recomend getting him evaluated!   It could be nothing -- or it could mean that you are getting CRUCIAL early intervention.  Early intervention truly is the key, no matter what the issue.  Don't wait!

don't worry...my son is 2.5yrs  and he just started speaking...he had a speech delay too...u r lucky ur son at least talks to himself...actually thats good...mine just kept quite...its ok...just make sure u talk alot with him.....alotta speech therapist see children at the age of 3yrs for speech delays...hope this helps.
Dear "Dad",

Consider first that your son is probably two months behind other children simply due to his gestational age.  Secondly, talking to himself is VERY normal.  My son talks incessantly and sings - I guess I'm a bit of a singer myself.  

I imagine the fear of autism has popped into your wife's head.  She's not alone!  We've all been there.  I work for a Speech and Hearing Center and see children with speech delays all the time...some are autistic.  The one thing I can tell you and your wife is to embrace whatever needs your child has as a challenge to meet and overcome to help him become a stronger person.  It's right up there with reading and potty training.  The earlier the intervention, the better.  You sound like you fear the fear.  Please don't.  I seen such great progress in both speech delayed and autistic children.  I suggest returning to your doctor and getting a referral for another Speech Evaluation.  The Speech Language Pathologist can often tell you if they see signs of autism too.  Best of all, they can work with your son to overcome his communication obstacles - whatever they are.

I hope that information helps!  You are good parents...because you worry!  Silly isn't it?  Best to you and your precious family!
I just wanted to second that.  Knowing what the issues are is the only way to conquer them.  Delays in speech can be tied to other delays not just autism.  My son has a nervous system delay called sensory integration disorder.  We've don't ot for it and he is functioning very well.  Speech was the first noticable issue with his delay.  Early intervention can change a child's life.  Don't be afraid and remember whatever a diagnosis there may or may not be----  he's still the kid you love.  Nothing changes that.  Good luck.
hi..it's been a long time since you wrote the message about your son, how is he now? ihave a almost 2.5 years old boy,which does not talk much also, and he is quite an active boy. i brought him for a diagnose by an experienced lady, she told me he is suspected adhd...but i dont think she is right, because my boy is not constantly active, sometimes he is very calm. so , just wondering ..how is the situation now with your boy.?.