Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
Neon Green Stool

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

Neon Green Stool

My toddler son  is 3 years old.  
he has pooped neon green poop for the last 4/5 months!!  Taken him to his pedi. dr. many times!  Said everytime, "don't worry, it's only bile" Toddler seems healthy, eats fine, runs, plays etc.  I am very picky about his foods, so I know I've not given him the same food EVERYDAY(for 4 months) to cause Neon green poop!  Does a pediactric GI visit seem to crazy???  I have got to do something!  This CANNOT be normal!!
well, i wouldnt think thats too extreme. but have you considered maybe a juice that he drinks or some type of snack? it could very well just be bile but if you are uncomfortable with it and arent satisfied with the answer you got from the PCP (primary care provider) then absolutely get a second opinion!
Hi kirb i have a three year old daughter and she has been having green poop for about a year and a half i also started giving her my first flintstone vitamins around that time did you ever figure out what caused the green poop i am searching everywhere for answers had a biopsy of a stool sample done in december and said it was fine thanks for your time
Hm.  Does she eat colored yogurt?  I've noticed some colors of yogurt can do that.  Also, this is a long shot but food coloring in certain things will do it----  you should have seen the color of my boys number two after a birthday party and cake with bright blue frosting.  Whew-----  I had no idea that food coloring would do that.  ????  Could anything like that be going on?
Green poops can be a sign of cystic fibrosis. How are your kid's poops: fatty? With mucous? Ask for a sweat test! Also ask for a fecal elastase test, can't hurt.
I have nine children and 3 of the nine have been through the green poop thing don't worry, it is bile. The reason it occurs is because they have a high metabolism. The bile is green but as it goes through the intestines it ripes just as a banana does and turns a brownish color (which is what we normally see), but because some children have a higher metabolism than others the process or trip through the intestines is much quicker than normal. Your child maybe like my three and have a bowel movement 2-3 times per day. So it is really nothing to worry about.