Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
Norovirus? How long does this last?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

Norovirus? How long does this last?

Hi there,

My just turned 1 year old has been vomiting everything up since Sunday night about midnight (it's wed. afternoon here now).  He has also had diarhea (diarrhea).  It got so bad sunday night, we took him to our local Childrens Hospital where they had to give him something to make him stop.  They told us what to watch for in terms of dehydration, and sent us home.  He has not been able to take any solids at all since then, and just this morning finally kept 2 X 4 oz. bottles down.  The third bottle came up.  For the past few days, the only thing I have been able to get into him that stays down is pedialite.  I have been in close contact with our local HealthLink making sure he is not in a dangerous situation.  They had told us it is more then likely Norovirus as we have a big outbreak here right now. Yesterday I came down with it as well, although I am much better today.

My question is this...has anyone else ever had their young baby get this, and how long should I expect it to last.  I am getting really concerned about his lack of ability to hold down solids, although thanks to pedialite, I have been able to keep him hydrated.  Also, they told me to start him off on really bland solids, but I can't seem to sort out exactly what that means.  I know, stupid, but I have never dealt with this before.  I want to ease him back in, and not upset that poor little tummy again.  Any tips or advice would be very much appreciate.  
Oh, and I should add.  He is sleeping far more then normal, but is easy to wake, and when awake is alert and still wants to play.  Just for short periods though, then he falls asleep again.  Is that a normal part of this?  Is is due to him just being weak from no real food, or is it part of the bug?
adgal,  you're wise to be vigilant about this.  Babies this age can dehydrate VERY quickly and be in dangerous territory.

If he's still crying real tears,  he's got saliva in his mouth,  and when you pull up the skin on the back of his hand it snaps down right away without kind of "hanging there" for a moment,  and he's still having wet diapers several times a day,  he's hydrated enough.

I think the diet they refer to used to be called the BRAT diet.  Bananas,  rice,  applesauce and toast.  This is just day 4,  my guess is he'll show marked improvement tomorrow since he's now holding down pedialyte.

Best wishes.
Thanks so much.  I am very carefully watching for dehydration.  His lips are a tiny bit chapped, and his diapers are most certainly dryer then normal, but he is still urinating fairly regularly. The inside of his mouth is nice and wet which they told me was a good sign and his skin does snap back when pinched.  He is now holding down apple juice mixed with water as well as the pedialite and very small bits of formula.  The key seems to be tiny bits frequently.  Still no go on the solids though.  I gave him some toast, but up it came.  I sure hope your right and tomorrow things are improved.  It not, I will be taking him back in.  This is one nasty bug.  Thanks for the info on the diet, it helps a great deal.  It's hard to know what to offer him..I don't want to make him feel worse.
Sorry, just one last thing..you seem to be quite knowledgable on this.  I do find it worrisome that he has had no solids for such a long period of time.  I asked the HealthLink line when to be worried, and they didn't really have an answer.  They said primary concern is hydration, which I understand, but isn't 3 days with no solids dangerous as well?  Although still alert, he is certainly much more lethargic then normal.  He will toddle around his play area for a few minutes, then come sit next to me and put his head in my lap, thumb in mouth.  It's just breaking my heart to see him like this.