Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
Please help our family!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

Please help our family!

my sister is 19 weeks pregnant and has to go to a methadone clinic for 23 mg. daily. she wants to quit cold turkey. i want to know is it safe for the baby
I'm honestly not sure but you may get more responses in the pregnancy forum

http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Pregnancy-18-24--/show/152
she must weigh the risks of withdrawal vs the risks of staying on the medication. she should only do this under the supervision of an obgyn.
This is very important. She must not under any circumstances attempt to quit cold turkey.  That is a very dangerous thing to do while pregnant and could cause fetal demise.

Very very few clinics will attempt to withdraw a pregnant women.  Where I work we have an OBclinic that does work with addicted moms. Typically, they will maintain the methadone, and then safely and medically withdraw baby at birth.  At that point they will of course also work with mom to withdraw.  It is done under very close medical supervision.  They are able to keep baby safe and comfortable.  These babies tend to do very well, especially if mom has been receiving proper pre natal care with a Dr. who is experienced in this.  

I wish her and baby well.
Honestly, don't go to the pregnancy forum, no one on there could help you and they would all be rude. But their is an addiction forum, and ask Drs forum. Best of luck
I would listen to adgals advice, I don't have any experience, but I read a bit about it awhile ago and her advice sounds pretty much exactly like what I read, that its important NOT to quit cold turkey as it would stress the baby and likely to cause fetal demise.
DONT QUITE COLD TURKEY !!
that could possibly be the worse thing for a the baby and the mother. Being a Methadone baby myself and having heard over and over on the subject, it is recommended not to quick cold turkey for fear of loosing the baby due to rapid detox. The best suggestion i can give someone who is on methadone and expecting is to slowly lower your dose milligram by milligram and don't do it fast stick to the milligram you feel comfortable with, now that doesn't mean you will be 100% well but you wont feel to hot either  especially when you got pregnancy working against you. (make sure your doctor managing your methadone  treatment is informed of your decision so you and the baby can be safely monitored.) I don't mean to pry, but if there is no doctor managing your methadone treatment and your obtaining the drugs by your own means it is in the best interest to inform the obgy so you can get the proper care.

Remember not all Methadone babies are born addicted (since its a low dose luck is on your side) with proper care and high spirits you will all make it through this, i made it through and my mother was on a much higher dose and a cocktail of other addictive prescriptions her doctor had her on.

Its amazing what has progressed in the medical field since 1992 (the year i was born)   Your baby will be in safe hands with the help of a trained medical staff. (i must pressure you though to make sure they are fully aware of the situation at hand, they have ways of helping an addicted baby, if i remember right my mother told me because i had signs of withdraw, they call runny poop a "sign" (in my case i was just poopy) but they monitor the child over something that small and if the baby really is withdrawing they put the child i believe on a low dose of morphine (maybe thats changed over the course of 21 years )then withdrawal the baby slowly off that drug.

Good Luck and I will keep you all in my Prayers.