Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
Recurring HIGH fever in a 1 year old..

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

Recurring HIGH fever in a 1 year old..

Hi. My son is 13 months old. Since he was about 5 months old, he has off and on developed fevers. He developed teeth early ( he has 13 teeth now) and had several colds from daycare. At the age of around 8 months old, he developed a 106 fever and was rushed to the ER. They sent us home that night with antibiotics and said it was a virus. Since then, yes since then.. he has had a fever on and off. A week has not gone by without developing a fever in between the range of 100-105. Many times, he has no other sympton AT ALL. Now, it has been 7 weeks with recurring HIGH ( 101-104) FEVER. Every time we take him to the doctor, they say it is justa virus and to let it pass. I cannot take this "virus thing" as the answer anymore. Is it just me? Am I crazy or is this abnormal? What does this sound like to you? I need a doctor to help him!
Tags: Infant, virus, antibiotics, help, son, Fever
Well, where do I begin...I'm no doctor and I don't know what underlying medical issue there might be but I do understand your frustration with the "it's just a virus" answer.  It sounds ridiculous to me.  What does his pediatrician say?  If he feeds you with the same bullc***, I would find a different one.  Recurrent fevers do not sound normal and giving him antibiotics so often, as you know I'm sure, is not that great for his immune system.  I hope you find answers soon.  All the best.
Do they check his tonsils or throat during these fever episodes? My sister's 2 year old just had her tonsils out because she was getting a fever of very high temps every 28 days due to her throat infections. Sounds weird, I've heard it called periodic fever? It's very frustrating. The doctors don't like to take the tonsils out that young but the high fevers arent good for them either. good luck
Well, I just found this post and had to respond depite the delay. My 20 month old is having a similar problem. She is not in daycare so is not catching viruses from other children and other members of our household are not ill (including a baby brother). She has been taken to the ER are several occasions with a fever over 105. (Twice it was 106.5.) A few times she was actually diagnosed with something (flu, RSV) but more than half a dozen times it was "virus of undetermined origin" and was not given antibiotics. Her fevers last anywhere from 3 days to three weeks, but she has only been without fever a max of three weeks since she was 9 mo old. Everytime she sees a new doctor we get a new opinion. Now her docter is testing her for something called Mediterranean Fever - which I am doubtful about after reading the details of it online. I know this is of no help to you but I thought it might provide some peace to know you are not alone (or crazy as some Docs make me feel)
i know your post wasnt recent but my son is nw 22 months old born 7-10-06 and has the same thing as your child. since he was 5 months old he has gotten fevers up to 106 (never lower than 102). He has never had any other symptoms except one UTI. I've taken him to numerous hospitals and pediatricians and no one can give me any answers. He isnt in daycare and i also have a 7th month old daughter who never catches what he has which makes me even more scared. His peds have done tons of blood work but could never come up with anything. i worry all day every day feeling his head because he gets sick every 2-8 weeks. If you find any answers please let me know!!!

_Kelley
Ok, I'm not sure if you all will still read this post, but I wanted to tell you there's hope! My daughter went through the same scenario with the high fevers. (Nothing like catching hot vomit in your hands, huh?) These fevers started at 1 1/2 years and were like clockwork; every 5-6 weeks, we were in the ER (her fevers ALWAYS spiked at night and it usually happened on a friday or saturday night.) with a fever of 105 degrees and no other symptoms. And they sent us home with antibiotics EVERY time. We would then follow up with the doctor ASAP. Very rarely was she still feverish, so the doctor ASSUMED that it was an infection and that the antibiotics.
To make a long story short: we did EVERY test out there and dutifully went to the ER and the doctor EVERY time it happened. We piggybacked the ibuprofen and tylenol but often still couldn't keep her fever lower than 104...After about two years of this, the doctor implied that I was doing something to make this happen to my daughter. That is when I finally went nuts and told her that she was absolutely worthless and HOW DARE she accuse me of trying to hurt my own baby. Anyway, to get rid of us, she referred us to a PEDIATRIC INFECTIOUS DISEASE doctor. THIS doctor asked me a few questions:
1. Was it a predictable event?
   A: Yes. I had started realizing that my daughter was acting out a few days before the fever came. Plus it happened every 5-6 weeks anyway. I had started marking it on the calendar.

2. Did it happen the same was every time?
   A: Yes. It was like de ja vu.

3. Was I, or my husband, of Mediterranean decent?
   A: No. But, apparently there is a fever syndrome that goes along with that ethnic background.

So, within five minutes of entering his office, I finally had an answer. It was Periodic Fever Syndrome. He prescribed oral steroids which were to help lessen the intensity and duration of the "attacks." I was told that she would grow out of it in a few more years, which she did. Life has been wonderful without the fevers! Take care and good luck. Hope this helps! Oh, and last thing: the cause of the fevers? It was just her immune system attacking itself... It was working too well. Which made sense, since every time she got sick (respiratory infection, ear infection, etc.) her fevers were spaced much further apart... Her body had been given something real to fend off!

Hi, I have 18 month twin girls.  They have had on and off fevers every 2-3 weeks now since they were 7 months old.  7 months old is when they started getting ear infections.  I was told that if they got tubes they would not get so many fevers.  They still continue to get fevers.  It's like they can't get better because they just keep passing the fever to one another.  They are not in daycare.  I dont know what to do anymore.  I feel so bad for them.  It seems like they are always sick! The doctor's just tell me it is a virus and that it will go away.  That is not good enough for me. I need answers..I want answers. What do I do?
My Daughter just turned 12 months old and a few days later she deveoped a fever , but her fever has not gone down any lower than 101 for three days now. I took her to the er and they said it was an ear infection , now her doctor says it's not. Her fever seems to be getting worse, they took blood from her but I am going crazy wondering what is wrong with her
my son is 35 mths old and we have been having the prob of high fever but in a cycle for at least 4 months.... we have finally been referred to children's st.louis for a possible answer nwxt week. They say it can be a multiple of problems or just toddler high fever wich he will grow out of... we will see.
My son is 4 years old and he has had recurring fevers (between 101.5-104) since he was 8 months old.  I have done a tremendous amount of research and have found that fevers with no other symptoms that come every 3-4 weeks with alarming regularity, well that is something that sounds like PFAPA (periodic fever syndrome).  Now, PFAPA is supposed to be accompanied by mouth ulcers and joint and stomach pain but my son has never had that and if he did it was so minor that he never really mentioned it.  He would not eat for 3-5 days during fevers - lose weight with dark circles under his eyes but as soon as the fevers were over he would go back to his normal joyful self.  then i could set my calendar and low and behold 29 days later he would have the fever again.  There is a doctor in Boston that is performing Tonsillectomies and removing adenoids (adenoids) and these children (diagnosed with cyclical recurring fevers) have not had a sing episode again.  it is worth looking into and so i am discussing with a Pediatric ear nose and throat doctor what my options are for him.  I mean, its one thing to think that he might have strep or ear infection or sinusitis, and to treat it with medication and its quite another to have a child who gets fevers every 29 days on the dot (with little variation) for 3 and a half years.  I just can't imagine the body would do that if it were some random infection. Well, good luck to everyone and i hope that you all find answers...don't just settle on what your doctor tells you...you must be your own doctor, researcher, lab technician, and nurse.  Just don't give up on your child.  they deserve to live a life that is care free and not debilitated monthly by these fevers.  I know i will not stop until i have a solution.
I can't believe I found this site!  I have been sitting here for 2 hours trying to find answers because I CAN NOT take my doctor's lack of initiative any more!  My daughter has had reoccurring fevers since 6 months old.  They come on every 3-4 weeks and last from 24 hours to 5 days.  It seems as if they are becoming more intense and less resistant to respond to fever reducers.  We were just in the ER 3 weeks ago because she spiked to 107.4.  Yes!  The nurses said she should not be alive...comforting right?  Her diagnosis...a barely elevated bacterial count for UTI.  In other words...undiagnosed.  They also lost the throat culture they took.  What is going on with our medical field???  I don't know what to do anymore.  Her fever is 105 right now with motrin and tylenol alternating every 2 hours!!!  I took her to the doctor today and was told they believe it could be an ear infection but it 'isn't presenting like a normal ear infection" meaning..no fluid but it looks different near her inner ear bone???  Sent home with antibiotic.  My daughter has been on antibiotics 5 times in 8 months, she is only 15 months old.  If anyone with this same problem has had any luck with pediatrician recommendations or any results whatsoever...please contact me...please!  ***@****
my son was going to the doc. or hospital at least once every week or every 2 weeks with fevers from 103-106 for almost 8 months.......then his ped. tested him for RSV! it was positive!! he is 2 1/2 now and has been diagnosed with RSV at east 2 times a month and they finally determined that he is a carrier of the RSV germ...and even when he is not sick he still tests positive for the RSV. im not saying this is what is wrong with your son but this was just an experience i have dealt with for the last 2 1/2 years.... has he been tested for RSV????  best of luck!!!!!!!!!!
My son has also had recurring monthly fevers since just after his first birthday.  He is now 20 months old, so we have been dealing with this for 8 months now.  We have been to doctors and hospitals and still have no answer.  He has also had febrile seizure with almost every episode.  He has had MRI, MRA, CT Scan, many urine tests, ebv/mono, spinal tap and lots of blood work.  All has come back clean, with the exception of 2 ear infections.  I have been researching everything from PFAPA to cat scratch fever to parasites.  If anyone who has been through this has any answers please post!  I will ask doc about RSV, did your baby have any symptoms during the fevers?  Thanks in advance for any help.
Well, just to add our story...very similar.  My son, 20 months has been having periodic fevers every 2-3 weeks for the last three months.  The scary thing with him is he also has febrile seizures.  He has had three in the last three months...and they are bad.  The last one he went in to respiratory arrest and almost died.  He was in ICU for several days and in the hospital for 11 days.  He ended up with aspiration pneumonia from the seizure.  But the culprit are these fevers.  We now are on "fever watch" every day so that if it starts to climb, we immediately start around the clock dosing of ibuprofen/tylenol.  We have to carry an emergency kit with us everywhere in case of seizure, because his seizures are complex and long and almost killed him.  The pediatrician is concerned and follows him closely.  Blood work shows low white cell count...but it's always during a "virus" which can lower the WBC count, so it's hard to know if his count is low when he's not sick.  He has a f/u X-ray next week to check his lungs from the pnuemonia (pneumonia) episode, and I am hoping he will be fever free and healthy so we can get a blood count during a healthy period and see if it's normal or not.

Someone above mentioned fevers until the tonsils came out.  I have heard that actually two other times recently...of someone who's child had unexplained fevers over a period of time...and ended up getting tonsils out and it cured the fevers.  Something I will also be asking my son's doctor about.
The only thing I can think of that I asked my son's ped about was cyclical neutropenia.  It is a condition where every 2-4 weeks white blood cell counts drop, making child prone to virus or infection.  My son was cleared of that because his WBC count is always elevated when sick.  We did just find out that he has several food allergies.  I have removed wheat, dairy, egg, bananas and soy from his diet, he tested positive for allergies to all of these.  Hopefully this will make a big difference.
I have just joined this website as well as this community.  Upon going through this messages, it's been refreshing to know that what we (me & my wife) are experiencing right now is common to every parent, wherever you are.

We haven't seen the doctor yet since our 14-month daughter temperature is between 98 - 99.  She vomited though, that's why we've placed her under observation to the next reactions and considers her as having a low grade fever.  Am i correct?

It would be highly appreciated if there's anybody or any doctors around to suggest any course of action required.  We are yet to give her any medicine.  Thanks!!!
I am not a doctor, but I do know that a temp of 99 is not considered a fever in a toddler.  The start of a fever is considered 100.4  The following is information from an online medical encylopedia:

Your body temperature is usually highest in the evening. It can be raised by physical activity, strong emotion, eating, heavy clothing, medications, high room temperature, and high humidity. This is especially true in children.

A rectal temperature up to 100.4°F (38°C) may be entirely normal. A rectal temperature of 100.5°F or above should always be considered a fever. Lower temperatures might also be a fever, depending on the person.

Fever is not an illness. Far from being an enemy, it is an important part of the body's defense against infection. Many infants and children develop high fevers with minor viral illnesses. While a fever signals to us that a battle might be going on in the body, the fever is fighting for the person, not against.

Most bacteria and viruses that cause infections in people thrive best at 98.6°F. Raising the temperature a few degrees can give your body the winning edge. In addition, a fever activates the body's immune system to make more white blood cells, antibodies, and other infection-fighting agents.

Many parents fear that fevers will cause brain damage. Brain damage from a fever generally will not occur unless the fever is over 107.6°F (42°C). Many parents also fear that untreated fevers will keep going higher and higher. Untreated fevers caused by infection will seldom go over 105°F unless the child is overdressed or trapped in a hot place.

Some parents fear that fevers will cause seizures. For the great majority of children, this is not the case. However, febrile seizures do occur in some children. Once a child is already known to have a high fever, a febrile seizure is unlikely with the current illness. In any event, simple febrile seizures are over in moments with no lasting consequences.

My daughter is 23 months old. She has had 4 unexplained fevers in the past 8 month and 3 that were accompanied by a cold and/or an ear infection.  After the last episode of an unexplained fever - lasted 3 days, like others, went away just as quickly as it set in, child is perfectly healthy otherwise, etc... - our pediatrician mentioned something called Cyclical neutropenia. It's worth looking into for people whose children have a certain cyclical pattern to the fevers and those whose fevers might be masked by something else ( cold, bacterial infection, ear infection), every 20-30 days.  We have performed other tests to rule out UTI and kidney infections. I've heard it all and I know how frustrating it is to hear, "it's probably just a virus" comment, when you know deep down there is something more. I researched this disorder and started a calendar with my daughter's symptoms.  We are having another episode now and I will see my dr. tomorrow and insist on seeing a specialist dealing with immunological disorders in children. Hope this helps.
Wow, I wish I had seen this site about a year ago.  My son started having high fevers 103+ when he was 4 months old.  He preceded to have a fever almost every 2 weeks after until he was 1.  He also had atypical seizures with nearly every fever.  He was hospitalized 3 times.  THe first time he stopped breathing from the seizure.  His fever was 106 that time.  They did every test humanly possible on him and would always diagnose him as chronic febrile illness.  I am writing to say that he is now just over 2 and has not had anymore fevers or seizures since last August.  He has had several colds and even the flu and recovered quickly without incident.  It is such a relief from a year ago.  I had severe anxiety from his seizures and fevers.  Fortunately, it seems that he may have outgrown them like some suggested he would.  Just know that you are all not alone.  Apparently this is more common than I thought.  I pray that your children will also "out grow" this condition also.
My two year old has been sick for almost a week.  Today he only got up twice - once when he woke me up at 6:30 this morning to cry on my lap, the other time to follow his big brothers from one room to another.  Other than that, he has been flat on his back or carted around by me to the doctor's office.  He's nearly three and he actually curled up and tried to go back to sleep on the examining table while waiting for the doctor.  Luckily he is drinking fluids, but he has eaten almost nothing this week. His symptoms suggest strep throat, but two sets of cultures have come back negative.  Now he is being tested for mono of all things. The more I read about it, the more I feel like this could be it.  There's no treatment for mono, but at least I'll know what it is and that he will get over it.  Just thought I'd throw it out there as something to consider.  It's a terrible thing to feel so helpless.  
My daughter, who is now 2 1/2. Has been getting fevers pretty much once every month, since she was about 6 months old. We are lucky to go 8 weeks w/ no fevers. Her fever is the only symptom she gets. I have taken her to the DR. several times for this and eveytime they tell me it is a virus. There are several DR.'s in the pediatric practice...and all of them have told me this. They dont seem at all concerned that it happens like clockwork every 4-6 weeks. I will admit, during the day, most of the time she acts like she isnt even sick, while on Tylenol/Motrin. It's at night she feels so hot and gets flushed, irritable, etc...She even vomits, only once, the first night of the fever. The fever only lasts, at most, 3 days. But It is scary...to anyone dealing w/ anything like it. I say I am going to take her back to the DR. and the next day she is fever free. What else is really weird is, when she is sick...like, with a cold or ear infection, she doesnt get fevers or they arent near as high as they are when she just has the fever???!! Does that make sense?  I read a lot about Ped. Fever Syndrome and it sounds like this may be the case but she doesnt seem to have any other pains. Just know no one is alone out there...there are more parents that go through this than you think. It is frightening to see your child sick...no matter what it is!!
my grandson just turned a year old and he has had fevers of 104 to 105.1 for a couple of days now and his pediatrician dont know whats wrong and neither does 2 hospitals in our town. they have run blood tests, urine and strep tests, chest x-rays and all comes back clear. im really worried about my grandson.
My son (32 months) had periodic fevers - 103 once a week- for over 6 weeks- he just tested positive for Lyme disease..no rash..something to think about.....
I am so happy that I found this website.My son is 2 and he started fevers on the 26 June 2009.He had a high fever from the sunday until the Friday.He was in the hospital cause he dehydrated.He was there for a week.He came home with low grade fevers.He has had every test imaginable.Including a bone scan.It all came back negative.Except ESR and CRP were elevated.But later were redone and cam back normal.His fever spiked again on 26 July.We were then sent down to Riley childrens in Indianapolis.He also has a heart condition so they are a little more careful with him.They checked his heart and it was fine.We also saw an infectious disease specialist.They also did some more tests and it too came back negative.The only thing they are going on now is a bad urine test.He did a cath. urine culture today.He also ran ESR,CRP,CBC and blood culture.We are waiting on the results for that.It is really frustrating knowing that you cannot help you child.I think we have found a great group of drs and they said that they are going to find out what is wrong.My heart goes out to all the parents out there with no answers.Just to add my son has no other symptoms.Just a fever!!!!!.
Well we got some results back yesterday and his hematoccrit was low and his CRP was elevated.So far the urine is negative.I am waiting for the infectious disease dr to call me back with a plan of action.My sone is still running a 101.5 fever today.
well I guess the infectious disease dr said that his levels are nothing to be concerned about.I guess some peds.have diiferent levels that they go by.Maybe hoping to look for something as he cannot explain anything.The infec. dr said to keep watching him and keep a diary of the fevers.If he spikes again at the end of the month then he has something to go by.Otherwise we are seeing him in a months time.
But I guess my son is not that serious as his is not having the febrile siezures as some of the kids are.He is just constantly running a low grade fever that disrupts his day on and off.Sometimes it will get as high as 101.6F.I guess as a mother you always worry about your kids.The dr did say that is it not normal to run a fever permanantly.I guess he is hoping that some other symptoms will show later on.If anyone has had anything similar please let me know.Thanks in advance.
This might sound crazy but we are very happy we are 1 1/2 days with a normal temp.Rectal of 98.4F.My son normally runs at 97F.He is also acting well.I hope that we are on the road to recovery.My ped.is still concerned about the hematocrit level so we are restesting his CBC in 2 weeks time.He finishes his iron tomorrow.I will be glad with that I am done with changing black poop. I will update you all once hw has the next CBC done.
Well he woke Sunday with a fever on 101F.No suprise there.He is also saying that when I rub on his hip bones he says no.which means that it hurts him or they are tender.Anyone have any ideas?Thanks.
We have been dealing with monthly fevers also.  My son is 15 months old and has been having fevers for 4-5 months now.  Finally this time they put him in the hospital for testing.  His blood count is always normal, but he always has an extremely high crp level.  It goes up with his fever.  Then when his fever drops so does his crp level.  This time his crp level was at 230 which is extremely high.  So now they are sending us to a rheumatologist.
Good news!!! we went  to see a hematologist and he has no blood disorders.They may be looking at Malaria and other things that are rare.We are wating to see if he spikes in a couple days.will let you all know.Thanks
Awesome! Thanks for the update.  I will be taking my son to an infectious disease doc in a couple of weeks.  He did get a fever again this month, but he had a throat infection.  At least there was a reason this time!  Look forward to hearing how your son is doing.
Well I am kind of confused.My son was running a fever the whole week at around101.8 leading up to the 28th.The 28th complained of ear pain and sure enough his ear was draining and he has a really bad cough but then so does his brother who is 3 years old.His brother also running a fever with cough.They x-rayed his brother for pneumonia.Waiting on the results.Broc was given antibiotics for his ears (both are now draining)he has ear tubes in and they said that if he had pneumonia then the meds would cover it too.They also tested him for TB and Malaria on Friday.I am not sure if he spiked his 28 day cylce fever and then had ear infection and cough too.so he is dealing with 2 things at once.Although his fever never went higher than 102.Maybe thats cause they gave him antibiotics.Not sure.anyway we are waiting for a consult with infectious disease at Childrens Hospital in Chicago.We felt that Riley Hospital was too far if we needed to get there in a hurry.Will let you all know when we get some results back.
Ok.So the Malaria and TB came back negative.You kind of want something to be positive so you finally have an answer.Any , so now we wait for the consult with the I.D. dr in Chicago.
We finally have our app. with ID dr in Chicago.We are going on the 15 Sep.Another I haven't mentoned before my son drinks a lot.And almost gets hysterical if you don't give him anything.No matter what it is.He drinks a lot of water cause I don't want to give him juice everytime time.The only juice they drink it V8 fusion with water.I wonder if it has anything to do with his fevers.I thought that maybe he is trying to replemnish himself cause of the ongoing fever.Not quite sure.Any thoughts would be great.
The only thing I know about excessive thirst is that it has been linked to diabetes.  But that study was for adults so I'm not sure if it applies to kids.  I have been trying to get an appt. with ID dr. for two weeks now!  Still waiting on doc to get records from ped. so I can even make the appt.  Hopefully we won't have to wait another two weeks after appt. is made!
I have a 25 month old daughter who is also plagued by these recurrent fevers. Her first episode was at 6 months, and they have been monthly since then. I've been blown off as its viral too many times to count. Finally in July, we were sent to the Children's Hospital, and we were admitted for testing. They ran every test imaginable, including a spinal tap. Everything was normal, other then her being anemic. We are on Iron supplements now and it has no affect on her recurrent fevers. With her episodes, her fevers spike to over 105F. They rise quickly and without warning. We also alternate the Tylenol/Motrin, and towards the end of her episodes they dont work anymore. She is misreable with her episodes, and complains of lower abdo pain. Everything checked out fine in that department, so we know nothing is going on there. She is thoroughly examined during every episode and everything comes back negative.  We just seen a pedi for a followup yesterday, and he is convinced she has Periodic Fever Syndrome. We follow up with her Rheumatologist in December, and we are hoping for a diagnosis.

I am so glad but sad, that there are so many of us parents dealing with these awful fever episodes.
Hello everyone.
Here is an update on Broc's progress.We went to University of Chicago to see an infectious disease dr.She was really nice and helpful.They are testing Broc for parasites which he has never been tested for before and they retested him for the Epsteinn barr virus as the last results were not conclusive.She seems to think that he has had anEBV recently and that weakened his immune system and therefore he is suseptable to everything that comes his way.She is not completely sold on that idea either as she is waiting for the other results too.They tested him for diabetes and that was negative.I guess he just loves to drink and gets thirsty.He is still running his low grade fevers every day.I know compared to other children he is not as severe.He has only had this for a couple months now.I know that there are parents who have been dealing with this for years now.I really feel for you all.They might also be ruling out PFAPA.As he is having a fever for the rest of the month too and they said that children with that are completely well for 3 weeks in between episodes.They are waiting to see if he gets sick again on the 28th.That is his number.so for now they are really looking at all possibilities.I am happy that they are having an open mind about all of this.Thank to you all who are so supportive and encouraging.I will let you all know as soon as we have results.
We found out today that he has no parasites.I am very pleased.We are just waiting for the other results to come.Please can someone help me.I was taking my sons temp rectally until one fellow proceeded to tell me that I was re-infecting my own child so I was giving him the low grade fevers.Needless to say I was not pleased.But since then I have bought a temporal lobe thermometer the one that goes across the forehead.I was told that it is as acurate as a rectal.so now his temp reads from 99.3 -99.7F.As far as I know that would be considered a low grade temp.Am I right????? His ped told me that a low grade is only from 100.4-101.0 so now I am really confused.Any thoughts would be welcome.
Finally an answer!!!!!!
Wow it has been a long road for us all.Thank you for all your support.I got an email from the ID dr on Tuesday night confirming that he did indeed have the Epstein Barr Virus.They think he got it at the end of June when this all started.They read the results backward in Riley where they said that he had not had the virus lately.I guess no-one is perfect.They also said that they think his is reactive and that is why he keeps having these fever attacks.at least now we know what we are dealing with and sort of how to treat it.There is no treatment for EBV so we are treating him naturally.The best thing is for us to build up his immune system.Otherwise he is likely to catch anything that comes his way.Thank you for all the support and love that you have shown our family.I hope that you too can find the answers you are looking for.Please remeber that if a dr is ready to give up on you then it is time to find another one.There is a dr out there that will help you.we had to go to the next state to find our dr.
I need help with my 29 month old daughter who I believe needs some help.
Ever since she has been around 18 months old she has had bouts of vometing
sometimes worse than others, usually lasting about a day or 2 to up to a week,
this happend once a month, Dr said to me each time it was just a bug. On her second birthday she was in a bouncy castle and had been jumped on by accedant and broke her leg. This is when everything else started. about a week later she had started getting sick we took her 4 times to the dr's with her and in the end I felt like a paranoid mother,
and on April 27th was rushed into the hospital with purple lips and shaking and vometing, with a UTI and a sinus infection.
  On May 27th she was sick again, this time with just a sinus infection, it was treated and she was once again better. On June 27th She once again got herself a UTI,  Than July was a free month for us! :) THAN Augest (no joke) 27th she came down with a low grade feaver and red spots on her body and face and no explanation from the ped. Now.... Sept 27th like clock work she is sick again! Just a feaver, no symptoms otherwise and again no explanation!
  I'm not one to be very sick very often so I don't know many things on health but my gut and everything else in me says THIS IS WRONG! I'm scared that her body can't handle whatever medication it is she is taking before 4 weeks is up.
  Can anybody else relate to this? I can't make any sence of it.

If I was her mom I would find an infectious disease dr in her state and have a consult.You need someone to put all these together.Thats what we needed.All the drs were looking at each symptom on its own.meanwhile it was a combination that made sense.I also think you need a fresh set of eyes on your daughters health.I was not happy with my ped.so I found another on in our insurance network and explained my situation.we were seen the next week.There is someone who will help you.If you reallly want answers and I know as a mom you do,you will find the right person for your daughter.We had to go to the next state over to find someone.I feel for you and your family.you can PM me  if you want.
Okay so even though Broc was diagnosed with EBV.We think he has periodic fever syndrome as well.He spiked a fever on sunday.It has been up to 103.6F.He is really miserable.I took him to the dr and he said there are no other symptoms or signs other than the high fever.So we have contacted ID Dr in Chicago again to see what they think.Just when we thought it was gone it started all over again.
Wow, I thought we were the only people who were dealing with this...  Our son is 4 1/2.  He started last October(08) getting a high fever, normally around 103.7, and it would come on in a matter of a few minutes.  He will keep the fever, even with the piggy backed Tylenol and Motrin, for 1-2 days, then it will disappear.  We would assume that all was ok, cancel the Dr. appointments, send him back to preschool, and about 2 days later it would come back.   This went on for a few months.  I kept telling his Dr. something was wrong, but each time she saw him, he was feeling great and the blood work was normal.  It is sooo frustrating, because it just is not normal for this to keep happening, and it scares me that something bad is happening and not getting treated.  

I don't have any answers for you all, but do have some comments on things I have read in all your posts.   My son's fever is not a monthly thing.  It seems to hit in Oct and last until around January.  It did last year and has already started this year.  The fever gets very high, very fast, and then stays above 101, even with meds.  

Someone mentioned their child being thirsty.  Ours too!  He wants a water bottle with him at all times.  He drinks way more than the 64oz per day that an adult is supposed to drink.  We have had him tested for diabetes and he is negative.  He too will get really upset if he can not get to water immediately.  

Several mentioned the tonsils and adenoids (adenoids).   We had his removed, also had tubes put into his ears.  Nothing helped at all.  Still is happening.  

In April of this year, he had a spell of this fever thing, and it just kept going. Then he started coughing, and it was a horrible, painful sounding cough.  He went to the pediatrician and yes, he had the fever, but the cough must be sinus drainage.  Well, after 4 Dr. visits in 5 days, and a fever of 104.7, they finally caught that he had pneumonia.  Don't know that it was related to the high fevers, but you never know.  

We are going through it right now, and it seems that as he gets older, he feels worse with it.  I guess he just realizes that he is sick.  He is perfectly healthy otherwise, always has been.  He was born 6 weeks premature, but was healthy and weighed 7lbs at birth.  Never had to be in NICU or anything, came home with me 24 hours later.  

I am just tired of the run around the Dr.s give, and want my child to be free of this whatever!  I am supposed to take him to the Ped. tomorrow, so will ask about the IF Dr.  

One final note... little brother never gets the high fevers, and during the hot summer, it was gone.  

Please keep posting your updates... ;maybe we can all find something to help.

Thanks,
Lisa
Mine has a little brother too.Only once were they sick at the same time.Broc is 2 and his brother 3 so surely if it was viruses then the 3 year old wold get them too.They did blood work on Broc last night again.The usuall cbc,esr,crp,blood clture.We will wait for the resluts and see what they say.We are also working alongside with our ID Dr.she is really helpful.I really think finding an Infectious Disease Specialist for you son would help you.Just a thought but maybe cause the cold weather is related it could me a rhumetologic problem.Does he complain of pain or soreness in his joints or muscles or just being extremely tired.That is another avenue you could look at.
I hope we can find some answers together.Have a great day.
Kerrigan
Thank God I found this thread! Fever of 102-105 or around there every 2-3 weeks in my daughter that is 14 months old. My son never had these problems, every once in a while, she will have a runny nose also, but usually just the fever. Over time she has become resistent to the tylenol and motrin. ER said it looks like strep throat, but inconclusive, so they gave her meds, but her fever was gone within 18 hours like always, so I don't think they were right. I can't get any answers either! Atleast I know this happens with others and isn't my fault, and I have a list of possibilities to look into. Thanks for this thread!!!
Update from my previous post:
Went to the doctor today and she is leaning towards familial Mediterranean fever. Though I do not know the exact blood lines of my family, and she said that there are cases where the heritage did not matter. She has referred us to an Infectious Disease Specialist and we go there on 10/26/09. I hope he can give us some answers or at least get the ball rolling.....
Not sure where everyone is from, but the IDS we are going to is at St. Johns in Springfield, IL. About an hour drive for us, but worth it. Good luck Everyone! I know we haven't got a concrete diagnosis yet, but I feel like I just won the lottery with a doctor willing to accept it isn't just a "bug"!
I am so happy for you.It seems like some parents wait forever to get any kind of answers.I really hope you find some.They still think that my sones fever is from the EBV,but he had another episode on the 4th october.His fever went up to 103.6 as usual.They tested all the usual blood tests and his crp and esr came back more elevated than normal is.They are referring us to a ped.rhumetologist at Riley in Indianapolis.They are also going to test for Hyper-Igd syndrome and doing a lymphoctye panel on him.It is truly a blessing when you find someone willing to help you.
I have found in our journeys that you have to be your childrens advocate and make a nuisance of yourself if need be.I wish you all the best.Please keep us posted.
We got Broc's immunoglobulin levels back and all are in the normal range.We are still waiting for the lymphocyte panel to come back.In the meantime we have an app. with the ped. rhumetologist on the 24 Nov.We are waiting for another episode to start.It will come either Monday or Tuesday.I will let you know if anymore happens.
All,
What a blessing to find this forum.  We started blood testing last Friday because my almost 3 year old has had ongoing low-grade fevers that would spike on occasion (during the night)...she would wake up screaming and would always vomit once.  The fevers seem to last 3 days on average.
Her blood work showed elevated WBC, normal platelets.  We were sent to the hospital the following day for more blood work, urnine culture, strep culture, chest xray...all normal.

We are going to see our ear, nose, throat dr. tomorrow to check her sinuses...my husband and I have horrible sinusitis.  Just a thought.

This is not easy to talk about, but one thing I noticed from reading all of the posts on here is that not one person mentioned being worried about leukemia...why am I so worried about this?  I have been beside myself since Saturday wondering if she has leukemia (since when I google "elevated white blood cells", it is the first thing that pops up!).  Her doctor assured me that the numbers on her blood panel would look much different if it was, but I know without a spinal tap or bone marrow test you can't say for sure that it's not leukemia.

Has anyone else worried about this?  Any insight or advice to ease my mind and make me stop worrying?

We will see our pedi again on Friday.  She will most likely have more blood drawn...not fun, but it's necessary, and I look forward to finding out the results.

Thanks so much,
Jody
Well we took broc to the rhumetologist,They were very nice and listened to us.Which as a parent is wonderful.They tested all his blood the usual and all came back looking good but lymphocytes were on the high side again.They have tested him for Hyper-IgD and we are waiting for the results.They are also going to check with his cardiologist if he needs a special echo TTE to look for endocarditus.If these all come back negative then I guess we just live with the fevers.The low grade  fever seems to be back for weeks at a time with increased low energy and fusiness.I will post again when we have some more results.  
Hi Jody I was wondering what you are calling a low grade fever.It would be nice to know as most of the drs have dismissed my sons fever from 99-100.4.
I reallly here you.I too am worried about Luekemia.They have re-assured me that it is not the case and they can tell from his blood work.I also read that ongoing low grade fevers could mean something.while my son does not have a low WBC he does have a severe heart condition and that is why I have been so insistant on finding out what is wrong with him.You have probably read all my posts so you have an idea of who we have seen and what diagnosees we have.I really hope you find the answers you are looking for.all the best.Please feel free to PM me if you want.
Regards Kerrigan.
ok so we had broc at the cardiologist and they ruled out any sort of endocarditis.which we are very happy about.we also had him at the rhumetologist and they ruled out all the period fever syndromes as he was having fevers for a few weeks and then a break.The cardiologist was very kind to give us a professors name at Riley who specialises in fever of unknown origin.The next time broc has a fever episode we will be taking him there. I was wondering if any of the children on this bored as having low fevers.Broc will wakes of a fever of 99.0 and by 10-11am he will be at 99.6F-99.9F.Then will stay like that for a few hours and then drop back down to 98.2F.I find this all very confusing. They are also ruling out the virus theory as a normal 2 year old will have 8-10 viruses a year and if they were to call Brocs fever episodes viruses then he would have had 8 viruses in 5.5 months. He has not had an episode since Oct and we are very hopeful. Wishing you all the best.
Kerrigan
My daughter is almost 5 and we have been going through all the same things as everyone here. She has been sick every few days for the past 18 months. She runs a low grade fever 100-101, is extremely tired and complains of abdominal pain. She has been seeing a GI for over a year to get to the root of the stomach pain, she has had colonoscopy, endoscopy, upper GI. Abnormal biopsies showed mild non specific inflammation. We have see an immunologist and are presently seeing a rheumotologist. We tested for PFAPA, parasites, Familial Med. Fever, H pylori, and just about anything else you can think of, Epstein Barr, mono, Lyme etc... she also has some abnormal lab tests CRP, ESP, platelets, WBC..

It is very frustrating to go back and forth from specialist to specialist with no solution. Each dr thinks he is closing in on the mystery...but in fact we are no closer than we were a year ago. We are in the Boston are which is supposed to have some of the best doctors. The only recent test we had, was a test from Prometheus labs in California which tests for IBD. Although we do not exhibit typical IBD symptoms, unexplained fever, weight loss can be symptoms in non traditional cases. Just figured I would throw that out there too
Thanks for your story too.I cannot believe ho many parents are facing the same challenge.all the drs think that my son is healthy cause he is not loosing weight and growing fine.The only thing with him is the fevers.Have you tried to see an ID dr with your daughter.I know its another dr but that is the one that found the EBV for our son.I hope you find some answers.
My 13 Month old daughter had her first fever at 6 weeks old, it was only 99.2 and that was scary enough for me, a new mom. I took her in to the ER she was admitted, and we ended up staying a week in the hospitaI. Everyday I stayed by her side, all types of tests were done, blood tests daily... Day 7, we found out she had Vesicoureteral reflux (VUR) aka Urinary Reflux, a positive test of a UTI led to the diagnosis. The doctors said I caught it early normally it's found after fevers rise to 104+ and the child would become seriously ill. She was just not eating the same amount as regular and she had a blank look in her eyes so I knew something wasn't right. She has taken 2ML of Bactrim daily up until last week... due to my work hours changing, and a forgetful new babysitter she missed a few doses. She had her second fever last night I gave her some Motrin and put lighter PJ's on her, turned the heat down, and patted her with a damp washcloth. The fever went away within an hour. Tonight she is at 101.5 highest same steps taken as last night and it has dropped a few points. I will take her in if she gets another fever or it gets higher, but as for now she has anti-biotics, plenty of fluids, and a nice breeze to help it stay down. Since i know it is a virus there really is not medicine except what she takes anyways that will help I also know a fever means your immune system is kicking virus butt so I am keeping a close eye on her as she lays on the couch next to me now. I seen an article above regarding UTI's and felt I would share this info as well as the parent concerned about daily doses of an antibiotic. My daughter is healthy as can be and has taken bactrim daily up until last week when she missed two doses. She is a happy and curious baby even with this fever she opened presents last night and was fully active all day today, she's normally in bed by 9:00 and shes sleeping now at 9:38pm. I hope this helps someone and I learned some new info as well Thanks!!
As you all know broc has been through it all and back again.We have since discovered that his blood sugar levels are running a little higher than normal.So we are having him tested for diabetes tom.He does have the extreme thirst and lots of pee diapers.He drinks about 6 cups of juice a day which are almost full with water and enough juice to flavor and color the water.So about an ounce of juice and the rest juice.I am going through about 6-8 diapers a day which are hanging off of him they are so full.His appetite has decreased a lot.he is not sleeping through the night either.I am really hoping that he is maybe just impaired glucose fasting and we have to adjust his diet. He has times where he totally looses it for no reason and if I feed him or give him a drink he calms down so I thought he had low blood sugar but it turns out he has high blood sugar.Thanks to all of you who have given us support and comfort on this site.We are still watching his lymphocytes and neutrophils.We are having those tested again tom as well.I will let you know what his results are.Thanks again.
Hi, I have a 13 month old and he's had a fever of    
103 for 2 days now. Idk what 2 do anymore. I've been giving him acetominophin every 4 hours. At one point his temp actually got back to normal 98.7 but that didn't last long. I rlly need some tips on how to get thus fever down. I just kno Tha doc is gonna tell me to do the same things I've already been doing because this has happened b4 and u kno how those docs r. So if u gave any tips lemme kno

Thanx,   Jourdens mommy
Wow! This sounds like my boy! Peter is one, and has had a fever once a month for the last 5 months. He's had 3 febrile seizures which are so scary, but common I guess. His fevers are usually 103.0 to the highest 106.0. They last anywhere from 3 to 7 days...doing the tylenol and motrin mambo!  I'm so tired of hearing that it's a virus, I'm going nuts. We've seen our infectious disease specialist twice now, and he talks in circles and riddles like Yoda! "Some kids are hotter than others...."There's not a lot of babies in Boise w/105 fevers!" Then he blows me off saying it's just a virus...I don't know when to go to the ER anymore? What's the magic fever degree?? (My husband & I have agreed on 105.9)
Hi there yes it sounds like you have been through it too.My son never had any siezures.Thankgoodness.But did dehydrate so badly one time that he was hospitalised for a week.That was the start of his fevers.It went up to 105 in the hospital.They tested him for all kinds and came up with nothing.The second time he was hospitalized as well for 3 days for a full work-up with an ID dr.They diagnosed him with a EBV and he was diagnosed again at another hospital with that. They diagnosed him with re-active EBV.You can read all my posts.He is still drinking a lot of fluids.They tested him for diabetes and that came back negative too.Because we were out of the country for a while they tested him for TB,Malaria and parasites too.If you don;t mind the testing I would push for other tests.I was also fed the virus thing until they told me that a 2 year old will have 8-10 viruses in a year.My son had 10 in a 5 month span.They then said to me that his immune system is not working properly and then did an immune panel on him and that came back fine. so he has a good immune system. at the moment they are watching his neutrophils as they are still on the low side and he has a lymph node on his neck that they are watching too. His fever episode started on the 28 June and he had his last one in Nov.since then he has had a viral throat infection and strep so then we had reasons for the fevers.
If I were you it sounds like he could have a periodic fever syndrome.I would take my son to a rhumetologist. They were the ones that ruled that out for my son as he was having 2 or 3 fever episode in a month. I am sorry that you are going down this road but please don't give up. There is someone out there that will help you. As for the magic number.Our ped told us to call him if our sons fever was past 103.5F.He would tell us what to do from then.Depending on how he is doing. As a mother you know when your child is sick and when something is not right. I hope that you get the answers you are looking for.PFAPA is something you could google.Also as I said periodic fever syndromes.There are a number of them and they have their own symptoms. Please fell free to PM me is you like.
Here is an update for Broc.His diabetes came back negative as well as his metabolic panel.The drs still cannot explain why he is drinking so much fluid.6cups a day and 2 cups of milk.He is eating well again and we have noticed a 1.5lb weight loss.His dr is not majorly concerned but will keep an eye on it.They are also watching a lymph node on his neck.It has been there from the start of all his fevers.He has not had an episode without symptoms since Nov so we are hopeful that they have gone.He is getting the viral things as well as strep along with his brother. The ID dr is also watching his neutrophil count as it is on the low side of normal and said that it can pose a problem if he were to have the episodes again.We take one day at a time and enjoy the days when he is well. Our next big hurdle will be in April when he has his cardiac app.Thanks again for all the support. This is a wonderful site to pour it all out and to know that there are a host of other parents that are dealing with similar issues.
It is a HUGE relief to hear similar stories to my own. My daughter just turned 2 & is also experiencing recurrent, unexplainable fevers. She has always run temps higher than her sister did during teething, colds, etc. but her highest temps (103-105) occur without any accompanying symptoms.
Since Oct '09, she has monthly 3-4 day runs of 104-105 degree temps. Thankfully she does not have febrile seizures. A piggyback of Tylenol & Motrin helps to lower it (does not eliminate it) but neither one works when given alone. This month, her feverish episode lasted 9 days. In the past, I've been told it was a virus & would resolve. My pediatrician does NOT prescribe antibiotics unless bacterial infection proven. I've become so accustom to this cycle that it wasn't until day 8 I took her to her pediatrician.  
This time, due to the fever recurrences, she had bloodwork & a urine screen. Her WBC was very elevated at 24,000 but urine was clean.  The pediatrician called me at home to express her concern and wanted to do some other tests to rule out sources of infection. The differential on her CBC indicated a severe infection rather than a leukemic disorder, although that cannot totally be ruled out. Subsequent X-rays, echocardiogram & blood cultures have not shown a source of infection. Day 10 her fevers subsided & her WBC count is down to 14,000. At this time, the plan is to watch her, keep a diary of temperatures and if it recurs again, like many of you, we will see an ID specialist. It's been a very scary week for her dad & I. Hopefully our story ends here. Thank you for all of your stories & suggestions!
Im from the Philippines and I was googling 'recurrent high fevers' because my son has been experiencing it for 3 times straight in two weeks.

I am out of my wits and totally desperate.

First, he had high fevers of 103-104 and was admitted to the hospital b/c of aute bronchitis. After being discharged, 3 days after, his fever spiked up again to 104. He was still taking antibiotics then. We went back to the doctor and true enough they found out he has pneumotitis and replaced it with a stronger antibiotic. His fever has gone down...for 3 days. Now, we are again at the start of his 'high fever' phase. I dont know whats up because the antibiotics should be doing it's job already. His antibiotics is rather strong already. It's like a cycle. Everytime he takes antibiotics, after a few days, he gets high fevers again. I just don't get it. This has been his '3rd batch of high fevers' in 2 weeks.

I am totally desperate as I am a single mom. Whenever he gets these high fevers I just totally lose it and cry my heart out.

Pls help me. :c
My daughter is now three and I have been managing the same problem since she was three months old.  I gave up on Western medicine quite some time ago as I felt that she was just becoming a pin cushion with needles and drugs.  Looking for alternatives I discovered Chinese Medicine, which has significantly helped me manage the problem.  In Chinese Medicine they believe that immunisations play a critical role in child development - did your child have a strong reaction when they were immunised? Did they have a burning fever and spend the next week fighting off the pathogens we just pumped into them - no?  Neither did my daughter!  What they believe is those pathogens linger in the body and continue to reaccur until we allow their body to fight the infection.  Some children are able to do this much easier than others.  So what's the answer. My daughter has been having acupuncture for the last seven months and I also put her on chinese herbs during the period of fever.  Yes she still gets fevers every four weeks, but the duration of the fevers is diminishing each time and the fevers which were always well over 40 degrees are consistantly a lot lower (& safer).  Chinese medicine does take time, but the results are significant.  It may be something else for you to try, as it seems to be working for us in Australia!  Happy to provide more information for any one who is interested.
My 10 month old grandson is having almost exactly the same cycle of illnesses, except his do not wait 28 days to cycle.  I gasped out loud when I read that many children are even having excessive thirst and tylenol/motrin no longer work.  My grandson is ALWAYS thirsty, and his parents had asked the pediatrician about it before the fevers started.  He had tubes placed last month for 8 "documented ear infections" but now he still has the fevers, dehydration, fussiness, occasional vomitting.  He has had 3 rounds of IV fluids in the last 14 days and numerous blood tests and xrays.  The only thing found was low white count, elevated CPR and an abnormal CT of the Sinus.  He has had IV antibiotics and oral antibiotics.  They even ruled out Cystic Fibrosis because he also has asthma really bad, incidentally.  I can't wait to follow this thread and hope one of the Doctors comes up with something that will help all of us!
Thank goodness I found this site.  I have a 2 and 1/2 year old son who has had fever since he was 5 months old.  He had a UTI then and then started having fevers just about every month until this year (new years eve to be exact) when he has upped the stakes and is averaging a fever lasting 1-5 days every 2 weeks since..I am slowly pulling my hair out with stress and anxiety and am starting to cry in frustration.
I dont have access to specialists...the nearest one for us is a plane ride to another country.  He has had some CBCs and blood cultures done all normal.  His ESRs were high though.  
One of the GPs here noted that he has phimosis and his foreskin really balloons when he is peeing and it was suggested he have circumcision to see if his fevers were related to this.
I have noted that a day before he becomes feverish, he has bad breath and his tongue has this whitish coating on it.  Mum puts him on herbal infusions and his breath smells better and his fever abates...dont know if this is related....dont know anything now....the hospital staff must be tired of seeing us constantly every 2 weeks now especially when they dont find much to attribute his fevers to.
He is currently experiencing another episode (day2 today) and the relief to find this site is overwhelming.
I am thinking of agreeing to have him circumcised to see if there is any change to this..anyone have any ideas?
Well after reading all these posts because I have a 15 month old whom has had a recurring fever since September along with ear ache and (supposedly needing abuterol which I found no need for) I have read that a fever is a "Good thing". Also that, we all come across "viruses & bacterias" that our bodies need to learn to fight and get used to. My four year old had the same situation when he was three. Both are in daycare & pre-school. After this visit today, she gave my baby 5 medications. This will be the last time I will give because I believe she does need to build anti-bodies and I will let you know how the next fever goes in a month!!! I am going to do strictly a liquid diet during those days along with Euculiptus breathers and cool baths. I will repost after that! Wish me luck. There no better way then the natural way. I remember that as a child we had NO MEDICAL INSURANCE and no way to see a doctor. We did it naturally. Now if i do get a cold my body has fought it in 24 hours. So, I will try the "old school way".
Hi there
My sons posts are on here but he was having fevers almost monthly since he was about 4 months old.He also had ear infections along with the fevers.Eventually after 12 ear infection and 12 antibiotics and more cause sometimes they would not work and then he had to have stronger antibiotics.Anyway we eventually had tubes put in his ear.It was a difficult decision to make as he has a heart condition as well and to put him through a surgery like that was not easy on his heart,but anyway we did it and we have never looked back.Now when he was 2 his did start having fevers on a monthly basis and then sometimes all month.That was a diff. story as as he was diagnosed with reactive EBV and some other things too.we spent month after month in the hospital and almost weekly blod work. I hope this post helps you.I do agree with the natural.I tried all the natural things out there for his ear but sometimes you have to give in.Many hugs to you.
Treating your children naturally does take time, a lot of patience and money.  But in my experience the results speak for themselves.  My daughter had her monthly fever again on the weekend, this time the fever only reached 102 F & lasted for a day & half in total.  By the following afternoon she was running around and eating normally.  It has taken 10 months to get to this point, but what a relief to have her almost back to normal.  There is still a little while to go but this form of treatment is working exceptionally well for her.  My advice for anyone who wants to go down this route is to find a great practitioner who is committed and available to treat your child with each fever - you go to them instead of the dr. It is always difficult to try something alternative, especially when we are all programed to trust western medicine, but in my experience putting faith into chinese medicine was the best choice I could have made for my daughter (& my sanity too!).  
Since my daughter was about 10 months old she has been getting fevers literally, every 4-6 weeks,like clockwork!  She is now 3 1/2 years old. Sometimes it goes as long as 8-9 weeks (maybe 2times in her life) and sometimes it comes on as quickly as 2 weeks between fevers (again, only a few times). Her blood work was always the same. Anemic and elevated CRP and ESR. But when she does not have her 'fever episode' her blood work is normal. Her urine was checked once and it came back neg. for any bacteria. I noticed a pattern of change though, since she was smaller. Her fevers are not as high as they used to get. They are around 101-102 now. When she was younger they would go as high as 104. Motrin/Tylenol help and when she has the meds in her system you cant even tell she is sick, excpet for the "tired" look.  She complains of her leg hurting and rubs her knee...lately before she even gets the fever. However, her leg(s) is never swollen or rashy and she does not limp or anything. She does get a sore in her mouth during some of the episodes. Unless they just do not bother her every time?! Sometimes she complains about it, other times she doesn't mention it. I dont know if that is just a coincidence or a symptom. Her lymph nodes in her neck are usually swollen when she has the fever. When the fever goes away all of her symptoms go away too. She hasnt lost weight. She has a good appetite when she is fever free. During her fevers she doesnt eat too much.  She does vomit always the 1st night of her fevers. Usually only once a night. And sometimes she will vomit on the 2nd night too. Again, dont know if it is a symptom or just from the fevers. Every single time I have taken her to the Dr. they do a strep test that comes back neg. And most of the Dr.'s in the practice tell me it is just s virus. The one Dr. that has been doing her labs only does the same labs over and over. Iron lever, CRP and Sed. She did do bloodwrk for EBV that was neg. and checked her immune system too. That all came back normal even when she was sick. I think her WBC were a "hair low" the one time but every other time they were normal. I actually have not had her to the DR. for this since Oct. I was taking her since she was about 1 for this and they are still telling me the same things. And the Dr. that  finally did the blood work that's all she ever wants to do is bloodwork. I am sick of my child getting poked and prodded when we all know what her labs will say. She also said NO to trying prednisone. I figured a one time low dose just to see if it worked wouldnt hurt but apparently that's not the case. who knows!!?? This is scary and frustrating.
I have 3 kids. My son who had the most trouble, turns out allergic to milk. It felt like forever to find out. He had soooo many symptoms, most of them not at the same time. He drank a lot of water, I'd have to change him once in the middle of the night, to keep his diaper from over flowing. Now that I think back, I think he drank that much water to ease his joint pain. He had many fevers, but after ANY milk, 4 hours later when he'd be screaming in pain that something hurt (mostly his head, knees, feet, or back) his temp would acctually drop during that time to 97 degrees. I didn't catch that for a long time because he'd be sweating like crazy, I thought he was fevering without checking. I took him to the dr numerous times. To the ER many times. He had a spinal tap, was admitted, blood work (came back fine, borderline animic) urine tested. But when things were at there worst, the dr diagnosed him with HSP and it was to go away on its own, his immune system was attacking itself and his intestins and kidneys. I asked Why he'd still have it for so much longer that what it's supposed to go away? So after my own investigations I thought what the heck, try dairy free for a week? We noticed a difference in 3 days! And flouride free water too, I must add. Now no more ear infections, which he and his one sister had constantly, and my other daughter who had migrains since she was 2 has none anymore. And no more sinus infections, and they dont' get sick, well the did once recently when they were perscribed flouride pills, and I immedietly stopped giving it to them, and they got better. No more bronchitis. I was just looking to help my son, and our whole family has benifited. It's been almost a year. We were very much a dairy family. LOVED it. But after seeing the results. I can't look back. Everybody keeps telling me hopefully he outgrows it. But even if he did we feel great as a family, it's worth keeping out of our lives. I would have never guessed the answer to our sleepless nights and heartache and the pain of watching him go through so much pain, would be GONE with such a simple answer. But I must add SOY IS DANGEROUS!
My grandson was sent to a physician who is board certified in: Infectious Disease/Internal Medicine/Pediatrics so we were very hopeful we would get some answers...The doctor was very kind and thorough, but was not able to offer too much at this point.  He said the baby is too sick to do any kind of immuno testing on (he has required steroid therapies for the asthma and sinus) and often an immature immune system can cause this and will simply mature by about 2 years of age.   He said it is important that the pulmonologist tested the baby's response to the vaccines he already received and his titers are very low or non-existent.  They will repeat many of his vaccines at the scheduled year and retest his titers, if there is no improvement and the baby has been able to be steroid free the ID will begin some immuno testing (the B and T cells function) but has clearly told us to expect a long process before they can identify if it is simply immature or has a disorder.  The ID has offered, if it becomes necessary, to give IVIG as an immune booster if the baby gets into any real trouble with pneunomia, etc.  We at least have that reassurance.  Symptoms lately have been the same, fevers and all of that and then a week or so of calm, and all of the doctors say the same thing, at least he is not "really sick":)  His last weight gain was at 6 1/2 months, and he will be one year next week.  By the way, he has been off lactose since he was 2 weeks (breastfed until this month, so mom was off lactose, too) and now they have him on a gluten free diet with alimentum to supplement his nutritional needs to try to get some weight on him.  He has also been taking Probiotics from a local health food store for about the last 6 weeks.  We will consider anything if it will benefit him...I'll keep watching your thread and will report back anything that we find might help.
Dairy free, and Lactose free are 2 different things. Dairy free is BOTH Lactose (milk sugars) AND casin (Milk protien) free. My son especially can't handle either. We do have to read all ingredients, and make sure it's 100% milk free, and I don't understand, but most people don't consider butter, but it comes from milk too. Anyways, I hope the very best in you all finding the cure to what's going on. I know it's hard. My kids were also on steroids, which confuses me, because it lowers their immune system.
I encourage all of you to find a Doctor of Wellness, not a doctor of sickness to help your babies. I can only refer you to one in the Dallas or Houston area. Good luck
By now I am sure you all know Brocs history.Well he spiked another fever this Sat.It started at 103 and stayed like that for 2 days.It came down slightly with Tylenol.We took him to see his dr incase he had an ear infection or strep throat but nothing was found.His dr ordered the cbc and blood culture as he did most of last year when he had his high fevers.It came back with a wbc of 2.2. He said that the range for his age is 6-1500. So now he is retesting him again on Wed to see if they have gone up and if not then we are off the ID dr again.I really thought this cycle was done with.We are fearful that there really is something wrong with him and they missed it last year.His lowest wbc last year was 5.2.He has never dropped lower than that.Please could someone give us some advice.
A little encouragement-my grandson has WBC's that range from 2.4-6.0 on every CBC they draw, and the ID didn't seem terribly worried about it.  He said a virus can temporarily lower the WBC's, and if they are catching one virus after another they can fluctuate a lot.  We are one week away from the next round of vaccines, and then six weeks of waiting and crossing our fingers so he can have the testing with the ID.  No oral steriods for 10 days, and no ER visits for 12 days!  We are hoping that something is working...the diet or the probiotics or any of the medicine, maybe the combination!  We won't change anything and hope we get through the next 7 weeks without any major illnesses.  If we do, it will be the first time he's been well that long in 6 months.  He did have a low grade fever last weekend, but it passed without any antibiotics.  Thanks for the advice about lactose, they are being even more careful, and actually being gluten free has made it easier to be dairy free because they have to read everything with a FINE tooth comb:)
We got the results back and his wbc did go up to 4.0.We are very happy but they discovered that his nuetrophil count is really low and dropped from the test on Monday.His nuetrophils are only working at 20% there fore leaving him to get any and every infection or virus out there.He is being retested again tom.Depending on that result we are going to wait and see if he spikes another fever with no symptoms and a low wbc , if so then we will see a hematologist for cyclic nuetropenia.Finally we may have an answer.The drs are worried that with his nuetrophil count dropping he wont be able to fight off any infections that come his way.We are hoping for an increase tom.Will keep you posted.Thanks
I am so glad that I found this site. I thought I was the only one dealing with the reoccuring fevers. My son is 3 and since December of 09 he has been running fever on and off every few weeks  which also are accompanied by a horribke cought in which he coughs so hard at night he throws up in his sleep.The fever is usually between 101.2-104.3. We have been in and out of the doctors office alot in the past 3 months. Back in March I actually missed 7 days of work in 2 weeks due to his fevers. We went to the doctor yesterday due to him having fever again and I requested that they do some blood work and his pedi actually would not do it. We were just there 3 weeks ago to the day in which they treated him for an ear infection...again. This time they have decided to ignore the fact that I want test ran and treat it as a sinus infection. My poor baby is miserable he was so hot last night that he was sweating and his sheets and confortor we soaked not to mention he was coughing so hard he threw up in his sleep and I had to wake him up and make him go in the restroom to bath him. The meds they put him on are the same exact thing he took last month which by the way DID NOT help he is also on a nebulizer for going on 2 months now and even that doesnt help with the coughing. This is all just so frustrating but I feel a little better knowing that I'm not the only one going through this. I've been trying to research things that could be causing it but come up short. I am currently trying to find a new pedi or see if I can get a refferal to an ENT to see if maybe just maybe they can find something.
Yes, it is really frustrating and quite isolating too as no one is able to suggest or have answers to explain what is going on.  I have stumbled on a very good book which I purchased from Amazon a few weeks ago - Acupuncture in the Treatment of Children, by Julian Scott & Teresa Barlow.  It is actually written for practitioners but is a very easy read and simple to understand.  You may find this useful in diagnosing a few of your son's problems in a non-western medicine way.  If you are open to an alternative approach to western medicine, then this may be money well spent!  Good luck!
I am so glad I found this site. My daughter Hannah who is now 21 months has had reacurring fevers since she was about 6-7 months. My husband and I didnt really think anything of it until we started noticing she was always sick at the end of the month and her cousins she regularly played with never got sick. She would get a fever of 39.8c - 40c for a week straight. every couple hours we would have to give her tylenol/motrin just to keep it down but it would never go away and it would peek at night. She never would have any other symptoms and the many DRs we would take her too passed it off as a viral infection. Finally my DR took urine samples twice and both times they came back negative. She had a UTI when she was about 6 months but none since then that we know of. Its like clockwork her fevers start the 30th or 31st of each month but since feb was only 28 days it now starts the 1st of each month. Lately now she complains her tummy hurts and that it hurts when she pees but UTI tests come back negative. Its so frustrating when you cant do anything to make your child better. We finally got referred to a Pediatrition a lil over a month ago and just got a call today that they will see her. I'm really hoping for some answers.
I am so happy about finding this site also!
When my now 8 year old was about 2, he spiked a fever of 106.7...when we were visiting family in BFE Ms, 20 miles from a gas station, much less a hospital, so before leaving, I dosed him w/ motrin, stripped him down and put him in a tepid bath, all while my mom and aunt are running around like the house was on fire and screaming @ me for being so calm! Lol. Its a good thing someone was calm huh? Anyway, my cousin, who also was visiting, is a pediatric oncologist and researcher @ Walter Reed, and rode w/ us to the ER. He was tested for everything under the sun and diagnosed w/ otitis media (ear infection.) So, you can imagine, anytime he gets sick I am vigilant w/ the thermometer, though it has never gotten above 104.5 since that episode.
Enter Baby Jac, born 5/8/09 @ 34 weeks gestation weighing 4.7 lbs and 17 1/4 in. long. I worked 12 hour night shifts in a busy ER my whole pregnancy, on my feet. Also, my OBGYN told me that the benefit outweighed the risk of be discontinuing my 75 mg a day dose of Adderall (adderrall) for ADD, and kept me on the medication thru the pregnancy. Despite all this, his APGAR scores were all 8 and 9's, and other than a week of jaundice he was healthy.
@ 3 weeks of age, he had a bout of Roto virus, was given IV fluids and sent home.
Up until Halloween, when he and his brother were both diagnosed w/ H1N1, the kid never had so much as a runny nose, much less a fever. Happy, healthy little Jac. He responded well to the Tamiflu and symptoms subsided w/in 24-48 hours. Ethan was not so lucky and had a horrifying neuropsych reaction to the drug causing sweats, hallucination, confusion, anger among other things, and 8 months later we are still dealing with that.
Since the having the flu, Jac has had pertussis (whooping cough), several ear infections, and at the end of March, spiked a fever of 106.4, after seeing the pediatrician that morning for 103.3 and chest Xrays, which were negative, and sent home to treat the fever, it was viral. He ended up spending 4 days in the hospital on I.V. Rocephin for his "virus" and 27000 WBC count. On 2 occasions during this, he had crying fits where he would wail, then hold his breath until he turned blue and passed out. The 2nd incident he was out for 30 seconds, not breathing, and his hands and feet were twitching. The 31 yr old Hospital Medicine Dr. ordered a pulse ox for the night, and wrote it off as him just getting mad and holding his breath, even when I asked for an EEG, just in case. He was discharged w/ viral syndrome.
  3 days ago, I took him to the ER @ 5 am w/ 104 fever, of course by the time i got there it was 99.9 and he was laughing and playing. The ER doc looked @ his ears, throat (since I told him he wasn't really drinking, but still wetting ok) asked if he was circumsised, and informed me that his resp. were fine, ears clear, kids under 2 don't get Strep throat, and it couldn;t be a UTI since he was circumcised. WTF? Sent us home and said treat the fever, its viral. So the whole day, I could keep the fever b/t 100-102, but never broke it, He drank ONE 8 oz bottle of formula, took a long nap, woke up w. 104.7, motrin brought to 101, he still didn't want to drink though. He finally took 3 oz of Pedialyte, then vomited it up 2 min later. I was going to take him back to the Er then, but called first (since I used to work there) and found out the back was full and the waiting room had 9 w/ the longest waiting 3 hrs. I said screw it we'll take him to his Dr in the AM. Well, something told me to check his temp in his sleep around 3:30 am, it was 103.6 rectal, so I scoop him up and wander around for 10 min looking for the med dropper, find it, give him motrin, check it again and its 105.3! So off we rush back to the ER. This time they gave him a tylenol suppository, started an I.V., pushed Zophran and rocephin, actually did bloodwork like they should have the night b4, and found his WBC's were 17000. Regardless, they sent us home w/ an Rx for Zophran, Dx of Viral Pharengitis. His HR was 189, tachycardic as hell and they didn't even give him an IV fluid bolus! My nurse friends are telling me he needs to an immunologist to test for IgA deficiency.
I don't know what to think. I'm a paramedic w/ bad knees, which is I why I worked in the ER, I read alot, clean crime scenes, and think I am pretty knowledgeable just due to experience and asking alot of questions. But I am baffled at the non-chalant attitude of these Dr's and that nobody can give me any solid answers. I also am afraid of things like Leukemia and Lymphoma. I had Mononucleosis a yr before becoming pregnant, but 8 months after was still having complications from way elevated Epstein Barr antibody lvls, and wonder if I somehow passed this to him? What do you guys think?
WOW!  After reading the first posting from 2007 I was in shock. It's like reading my life from someone else's words.  My daughter Morgan is 17 months and has been having cyclical fevers for about a year now.  It started off in May 2009 when she was diagnosed with a UTI, then in June she and my entire family had H1N1, unfortunately it was too late to give her Tamiflu since her swabs came up negative the first 2 times. Then she just continued this cycle of fever of 104-105 for 7-10 days then better for 7-10 days then an ear infection for 7-10, sometimes not getting better with antibiotics. Every time she would get another fever they would cath. her just in case. She has had 3 positive UTI's but nothing thank goodness since Sept. 2009/  We had a sonogram of her kidneys which showed them to be ok but one was slightly smaller than the other, we had a VCUG which tests for urine reflux- that was also negative. She wa seen by ped. urology who put her on prophylatics for 3 months and now she is no longer on them. We saw an ENT and she had tubes put in January 2010 because she has had 10 ear infections total in 9 months. He was not willing to check her adnoids at the time of surgery.  After reading about Dr. Greg Licameli's research over the weekend, I wish I would've insisited.
Morgan has also seen an immunologist who did a whole lot of blood work all to say everything is normal. I am now waiting to hear back from the ENT to see if he would be willing to scope her to check her adnoids.  I'll keep you all updated.
This site has been very helpful. My godson is 10 months old, he has had fevers since he was born. On and off he would keep getting the fevers ranging from 101 to 106. The doctors said puting tubes in his ears would make him better. Well, it did for about 6 weeks. Then, 3 nights ago his mom woke up screaming, he was having a seizure and his temp was 106. We rushed him to the ER, where he has been ever since. They have no clue whats going on with him. The doctors have done blood work and they are keeping all of his diapers. But, still they know nothing. He is so miserable. His mom is at her breaking point, she doesn't know what to do.  If anyone has any suggestions it would much appriciated. Reading your stories gives me hope to give to her, knowng that she isn't alone will be helpful as well. Thank you.
Hi there
My son has been through this too and still dealing with it and he will be 3 in JUne.One thing that we have sort of had success with is an Infectious disease Dr and Rhumetologist.
That is just a start.Also if he is not in a childrens hospital then you should contact one.They are much more helpful than a regular hospital.My son is still undiagnosed.He did have the EBV diagnosed and possible nuetropenia. I hope this helps and wish you all the best for your grandosn.
So know I know I'm not the only mom going crazy thinking what is wrong with my child. I to have a 22 mth old that has been getting high feveres almost every 3 weeks. My son has had all tests done as well. He was in the hospital for 7 days due that he was positive to RSV. He also gets febrile seizures. I know it's not normal to get so many fevers so soon. My husband and I wonder of what could be causing these fevers, going through more tests. So here we are just like many of you wondering and hoping for some Dr. to just find out the why and the how to stop it from occuring.  
wow!!! is all i have to say.
I have 14 month old b/g twins and we have been in the doctors office so frequently since they were (and my hubby and I) diagnosed with H1N1 in December.
I am on the verge of loosing my job because I cant keep the kids in daycare because of the continuous high temps. AND of course they do not get it at the Same time.. one gets it on friday and is over it by Sund (good enough to be able to go to daycare on Monday).. then on Monday I cant bring the other one to daycare or i get a call by 2pm that they have a temp of 102-103. I cant even tell you how many times I FELt that I should show my hubby, my mom, or my Mother in law the thermometer to prove to them that It wasnt me making up these numbers. (cause of course they have lowfevers when other people have them for the day). I have noticed that they have been sleeping so much too. It is not odd for them to sleep 16 to 17 hours a night now and still take the 3 hour nap in the morning after bfast, then an hour afternoon nap.
I guess i just need to vent. I read your stories and i think... "Ughh crap, this is just the begining. We only have regular fevers, one diagnosis of ear infection, one diagnosis of hand foot and mouth (TERRIFYING btw), and temps every 3-4 weeks of 102-104. GOd help me~"
I am hoping to keep my job cause it sounds like im really going to have lots of testing coming up.

For today.. we have sick little girl.. fever of 103 for two days, no other symptoms... high WBC count of 20 (yesterday) and 17 today. UA is pending and a doctor who HAS to be getting sick of seeing us. we have been to the pedicatrician 5 times in one week (between the two).
thanks for reading my venting. I am sick of updating my Facebook with the status that my kids are sick>>> AGAIN." Whats new!!"
Have a great weekend!
amanda b
Update on my grandson-he didn't stay healthy for 6 weeks:(.  He wound up with bilateral pneumonia and another double ear infection.  For the first time ever his WBC's went UP to 18,000 so it was probably bacterial this time.  Another 21 days of antiobiotics, but he is holding his own again.  Mom took him (with a fever) to his ped. on Thurs of that week and said she was worried.  They checked him, but said they couldn't pinpoint a cause.  Friday, back to the ped. (fever and sleepy).  Still no cause for the fever.  Saturday-ER in the AM (fever, sleepy and very whiny) still no cause for the fever.  Saturday in the PM-to a different ER where they did x-rays and blood and found the double pneumonia and elevated WBC.  They started him on the antibiotics.  The next day both ear tubes started draining bloody fluid.  A trip to the ENT on Monday where he was also diagnosed with the ear infection, but he was already on the ab.  My daughter said the ENT "blew some powder" into his ears and gave her eardrops for the next time his ears start draining.  Fevers come and go, but have not spiked above 103* since the pneumonia emergency room visit.  They did draw the blood tests that the ID wanted, so now we wait for those results.  We are learning which doctors will truly listen and which ones are kind of tired of the phone calls, but at the end of the day I just feel sad for our little guy that doesn't even cry when his blood is drawn anymore-he is so used to it.  
i am a 22yr old mom and my son is two years old this is my only child and i would like some advise on something i just keep getting the run around, as a baby when he was 3months old he was kept in the hosiptal for three days cause he had a temp of 101 but the doctors didnt kno why? since then he get fevers here and there from change of seasons but just three weeks ago he cought a cold then last week thurday he had a fever of 105.1 and i ran to the E.R with him, they gave him ibuprofen  the fever droped to 102.1 that same "doctor" sent him home and said to keep him on ibuprofen and thats all and keep him cool, right there my son tells her my eye hurts  and she didnt say anything, he still has a cold and fever that comes and goes, i dont know what to do ? i made a appointment with his own doctors for next week but he still has the fever i dont know what to do?should i take him back to the E.R?
im not a doc just a realy over protective father my sun is 8 month old and he has been experiencing the same syptoms (symptoms) he just started, this is the second time this has happened the fevers seem to be a little further apart id say atleast a month ,now i know some babies when teething will automatically get a fever when they are teething his fever has been between 102.5 & 103.5 for 3 days now my pedi doc says he has strep throat but i think its a combonation of both, i notice when hes realy fussy & upset his fever shoots up i usually give him a warm bath put a lil baby oragel on his gumbs & he stops until the pain starts again i switch the ib profren & tylenol'' generic brands because theres a recall on tylenol right now'' but i only give it to em every 4 hours its not healthy for the body to give it to them every 2 hours plus the body  will get imuned to the medicine this is very common in children when they are growin teeth my sun also stays at home with me and my 2 years daughter seems to be fine he's not vomoting or anythang just seems like his fever wont break i sujest if u think its serious bring them to th er everytime our children deserve a fighting chance no matter what but dont be alarmed i usually see if the fever breaks give him a bath do everythang i can before i got to the hospitol becuase they always send me home wit medicine & say he will fight it off p.s. never go to ya local hospital these are babies always go to a all children hosp. they specialize in infant trama i hope this helps put u at ease a lil we are all goin threw it good luck & god bless u & ya families brad
Im happy to read that im not alone and crazy. My daughter is 6yrs old and has been having unezplained high fevers(103.7) about once a week for 3 months. Drs say everything is normal, and shes extremely healthy otherwise. They say shes had strep twice, and a UTI. She also sleeps for hours on end and then complains of being tired a few hours later. Sometimes she even has tummy aches.I have wrote down possible things from this site to ask her dr, so will keep u posted. Thanks for all of you and may you all find the answers to help these poor sick babies.
It would seem that the treatment my daughter received through Chinese Medicine and Acupuncture has worked as she has ceased having recurring monthly temps for some time now.  She was diagnosed with lingering pathogens which was caused by her whooping cough vaccination.  In my daughters case the treatment took some time (around 10 mths) because the pathogen was in her system for so long, but now she is a different little girl.  For us this was the right path to follow & my daughter did it without complaint or concern.   The treatment itself was easy; it just took a lot of patience!  
I have just sat here and read every single post on here. I'm in tears. My 2 year old son has been going through the same thing pretty much everyone on here is describing. I feel like I was reading about him... it brought tears to my eyes to finally see that I'm not crazy like his doctors make me feel and that other kids go through this too. He gets fevers up to 106.2 as his highest and when it gets that high the nurse on the phone at his doctors office actually laughed at me and said it couldnt be that high - well lady, two different thermometers going two different routes said it was that high - and sure enough, it was. We go through these fevers ALL the time and they never seem to go away. I'm so scared about leukemia or something. Just went for a bunch of labwork today - blood, urine & sinus cultures...so far, everything has come back "within normal limits". Waiting on the lymes test which they said will take a few days. I'm so sick of his pediatricians making it seem like its not a big deal. i worked in his peds office for 6 years and my mom is now their office manager so i do have access to all 6 pediatricians and am close with the nurses and they all make me feel crazy and that i'm over reacting but i can't let this go! how a child can have these fevers like this and them always tell me its just viral and that there's nothing wrong is total B/S! I'm SO glad I came across all your stories because I've read every work everyone has put up here and jotted down a bunch of stuff to research and talk to the docs about. Even the different specialists to look into seeing. It's terrible having the worst go through your head every night while laying in bed. fearing there's something wrong with my child, fearing I could loose him, that something is inside him that's not right and nobody is caring enough to do everything they can to figure out what it is before something terrible happens to him. these are the thoughts i have! ugh, i'm always crying when i think about this! anyway, thank you all for sharing. it has comforted me a tad bit and has given me a new breath to take this into my own hands and start demanding answers!
My son, who is almost 2, has been experiencing fevers every 18 to 25 days since October 2009. It is very frustrating!!! There were numerous trips to the pediatrician as well as the ER, and the only diagnosis we would get would be “oh don’t worry it is just a fever virus”. What kind of answer is that? They made me feel like I was a crazy, over reacting, new mother who didn’t know anything! When in turn, they were the ones who seemed like they could care less about my son!! I was not over reacting to anything; my son’s fevers on several occasions would get over 105!! That is not normal, and is not to be taken lightly!!! Therefore, my husband and I agreed it was time to get another pediatrician. So far it has been the best decision we ever did. No we do not have answers yet, but we are on our way! The new pediatrician immediately started naming off potential answers for my son’s fevers. He immediately ran some blood tests and informed us if anything came back with these tests that it would not be very good. Thank the Lord those came back negative!!! He suggested we keep a log or journal of his fevers and then he would run some tests based on a pattern. We established a pattern, he ran the tests for 3 months and everything was negative! He then referred us to a specialist with the Children’s Hospital in Birmingham. He thinks it is PFAPA, but not everything fits. We are still running tests. I hope we will have answers soon!!! There is nothing worse than a loved one, much less your own child, who is sick and you don’t know why! You feel so helpless! All you can ever think about is “what is wrong with my son, why can’t anyone figure it out, what if it is really bad or terminal, where did he get it from, why us, ect…?” All I know for sure is that I love my son and I will not stop until I have some answers! I try to never take my time with him for granted and enjoy him to the fullest! I hope foe everyone going through this the best of luck and know you are not alone!!!

I have been reading through these posts and it makes me happy and sad at the same time. My 1 1/2 year old daughter has had fevers since she was a little over a month old, not quite 2 months. She ended up in the Children's Hospital for 16 days with Bacterial Meningitis.

Ever since then, my husband and I are on edge when she gets a fever. Looking back she's had fevers on a pretty regular basis.We may have skipped a month once or twice in her short little life, but she has had fevers more often then not. She was hospitalized again first part of this year for RSV and deydration. She's had numerous ear infections, now has tubes. She is still getting these fevers, most of the time we hear some virus. Occasionally we are told a cause, like the RSV, ear infections (which we've not had for 3 months now). At times she has numerous symptoms with a fever and others just a fever.Now the latest she has a UTI that was only found on the culture, not in the initial test. Follow up w/ her pediatrician has ordered a ultrasound to make sure she does not have a kidney infection.  

We've found that our two girls don't always "act" sick when they truly are. This makes it very hard when seeing a Dr., especially someone who doesn't know your child like their pediatrician. We know something is going on with our little girl and just want to know what and how to stop it.
OMG, Thank you for all your comments.  Even though I don't have an explanation for my daughter's fevers; it's so good to know I'm not alone.
My daughter is been getting fevers 103 with alternated tylenol and motrin that last up to a week.  No  other symptom.

She is 20 months old.  She also seizes with fever at a very low threshold: 102.5ish, so check her temperature every hour during the day and with the minimum suspicious of not being herself 100% I give her motrin at night before bed. ( I don't want to have a seizure in the middle of the night)

She had 2 CBC and urine test, both normal.  Very frustrating.  

I will ask pediatrician about Mediterranean Fever and Lyme perhaps.

Thanks so much!
Thanks I found this forum, I have been reading all the thread and its look like similar to my son problem.

As of this day my son 13 months old experiencing a on off fever every day…and it will range around 38 degree celcius up. The fever when down only after having a paracetamol prescribe by his Dra. But after 6 hours here come again his temperature rises

I observe my child behavior after the paracetamol and the temperature began to down… it’s still the same he was playing, smiling and you know talking (child talk) it just everything is normal when there is no fever. But when he had a fever, it is hard for us to tame him when crying and it is so frustrating.

Today my child was schedule for CBC and Urinalysis on Hospital to find more what is the cause of the fever. I hope this is not a case of dengue. Despite of this he was normally taking is milk when hungry and I believe that is good.

Please if you have any idea that could help us on this please

Abruptsharp

My 3 year old daughter also has had recurring fevers since she was 7 months old.  At 6 months she was diagnosed in the ER with strep.  Then at 7 months she developed an unexplained fever.  Dr did spinal tap (negative) and the fun began!  Then she experienced frequent ear infections, which tubes fixed at the age of 14 months.  Then one month later she developed an abcess (abscess) on her bottom which turned out to be MRSA and an I & D was performed.  Ever since that she has had unexplainable fevers (yes she has had the occassional throat issues that were diagnosed and treated).  These are her symptoms when the fever strikes:  starts usually upon waking from a nap or in the evening, complains of tummy hurting, overall aches and pains, extreme thirst, no appetite, have been as high as 105.  Lab work always shows elevated WBC, elevated CRP and ESR, blood and protein in the urine.  These episodes are somewhat predictable and last about 3-5 days.  When the fever breaks she is back to her normal self but just miserable during fever.  We have seen the ID dr, rheumatologist, nephrolgist and had numerous connective tissue test run and they still don't have a clue.  We've had a normal ECHO and bone scan done last year. She had an episode that started Sunday and lasted until last night, but this time she had a limp the first 3 days of this one so we ended up at Arkansas CHildren's Hosp ER and lab work was performed.  Of course her CRP, ESR and WBC were elevated.  We have an appt with ID and another bone scan to rule out any bone disorders.  I've researched these symptoms online and found vasculitis.  Has anyone heard of that?

I'm just proud to know that we are not the only one's that are going thru this, and getting the run around by all of these doctors.  We've been told by several to come back when the fevers last 7 days.  SOMETHING is wrong and we need to find it!  I don't want to wake up in 5-10 years and find out she has some sort of complications from all of this and there is nothing that can be done.  With this appt with ID in two weeks, I will be very aggressive and demand answers to get to the bottom of this!!

Good luck!
I have 4 kids and had never had any problems with them being sick at all until now my 4th child is 7 months today and this is her second episode of a high fever 104 he first was when she was 5 months. We have taken her to the ER and all they say is its a virous and gave us medication.  ever sence her first episode i have had the feeling that theres something wrong but her ped. did blood work and everything was fine now she had a fever again 103.8 and they haven't found anything.  Can anyone help.
My son is 22 months old and will be 2 years old this coming october. He always sick on and off.  It's always due to his sore throat but this time it's a new thing for me, he has a lot of ulcer inside his throat.  Last sat and sunday, he had fever on and off, today he has diarrhea six times.  Actually I'm getting deprresed because he has no appetite and very difficult to feed him with medicine or food. I hope my darling will outgrown of this soon.  Today is a public holiday here, so I will bring him to see the doctor again tomorrow. I hope everything goes well by then..

God bless to all and me as well..:)
I have two boys who have had reoccuring fevers since 4 and 6 months.  

My oldest (now 6yrs) had a period of about 1 1/2 years when we were fever free but they are back.  They now get up to 105.  We have had all kinds of tests and all come back "normal".  It has gotten to the point where I don't even bother going to the dr unless he has some kind of symptom other than the fever.  The dr never belives that his fever gets that high as the tylenol or motrin has kicked in when we get there.  They are comming every 20 days or so.

My 2 year old has gotten to the point where they are not so high or lasting as long.  I just hope they don't come back like his big brother.

It is nice to see so many of us here looking for answers but it also makes me wonder what is going on that this is happening to our kids?  Is is something we did? ( immunizations, induction) Or is it just some sort of genetic problem.  I hope we can all have answers soon so no more of the little ones have to go threw this!
My son is 20 months old and ever since his 1 year immunizations he has had 1 or 2 fevers per month of 103-105.4 degree each time, lasting at least 3 days.  He's had chest/body xrays, blood tests, urine and stool samples and is on a gluten/dairy/lactose/soy/corn/potato/peanut/sugar/orange free diet (tested sensitive at the naturopath).  I don't even take him to the Dr or emerg anymore.  I lost faith the night I went into the hospital after 2 days straight of fever and screaming after his 1 year shots and they told me it was "normal" and to give him Ibu and Tyl at the same time.  I feel as though he has lived on Ibu and Tyl for the past 8 months.  My question to all the caregivers on this forum is... is there anyone here with this issue who DID NOT IMMUNIZE THEIR CHILD?  Or has every single child with this problem had at least one or two or all of their immunizations?  I am curious why this hasn't come up more than once or twice in this forum?  His one year shots were Pneumococcal Conjugate, Meningococcal C Conjugate, MMR (Measles, Mumps, Rubella) and Varicella (Chickenpox).   I would feel a whole lot better about my choice to immunize if some or many of the kids here with these fevers have never had an immunization yet still have these problems.  Please let me know!
Wow!  After reading all these posts I was hoping to find at least one person who had found an answer!  My son is 5 years old and has been running high temps since he was a baby.  Now that he's old enough to tell me how he's feeling things have become much scarier!  Every 28 days his temp spikes, he complains of heart pain (his heart rate increases to sometimes over 200!), and he gets migrain headaches every time!  
My peds dr. is getting very sick of me I know but I just have to find some answers!  After hearing from each of you and all the tests that have been run on your children I'm terrified to go that route, put him through so much and still not have an answer.  He HATES getting his blood drawn and is so sick of being sick!  I'm so hoping someone will post with answers to all this!
My grandson's fevers and problems started around 3 months, long before he was getting any of the live virus immunizations.  The Infectious disease specialist explained that mom's immunity starts to naturally wane around 3 months in the infant.  My grandbaby was breastfed but weaned himself (I believe because the constant ear/sinus infections caused sucking to hurt) and after that he REALLY got sick.  He is holding his own now, on around the clock asthma meds, gluten/soy/lactose free, and taking 21 days of antibiotics about every 8wks for chronic sinus problems (the pulmonologist says the sinus problems are related to the asthma).  Not ideal, I know, but he hasn't been hospitalized for months.  I do believe this is all related to his immune system, but do not put much belief in it being caused solely by a reaction to immunizations.   Could there be a link between the declining immune system in our society at large and the constant assault from vaccines, antibiotics and antibacterial products?  I wish I knew the answer, but remember not giving vaccines has dangers, as well.  
Thank you kye1961!  It is nice to know that your grandson's symptoms are not related to vaccines.  It sure would be nice to have some answers.  The only reason I’m worried about the vaccines is because of the reaction he had and the constant stream of fevers and illness since.  I do agree with you, there are definitely many positive arguments supporting vaccines.  I obviously was a supporter up until the two days after those 1 year shots and that is why I had my son vaccinated for his 2mos, 4mos, 6mos and 12mos shots.  I believed in them.  I will not be taking him back for his 18mos or any other following anytime soon.  If I do ever vaccinate him again it will be when he is old enough to tell me how he feels and what hurts because I can't go through what we went through again. So your grandson did not have any vaccinations before he was 3 months of age and these symptoms started?  Weston had shots around 2 months old but I know some kids don't have them that early.  It’s the regular schedule in BC.  The other positive thing is that it seems that all the children in this forum started with their fevers at different ages, so not necessarily connected to a certain stage in development or a certain vaccine.  I hope to hear from many more in this forum that were also not vaccinated and are still having symptoms.  It will ease my conscience for pumping those shots into him.  I know they are safe for most and save lives for millions of other children, but maybe for mine and the few others who react poorly they are not.    It is so nice to know we aren’t the only ones going through this but it is also so disheartening to hear so many others have done such extensive testing yet have found no answers.  It also takes away my hope that it is something they just “grow out of” as some with older children are still struggling with this issue.  Here’s to hoping someone finds an answer soon.  
I think it is great that you are making the link between fevers and immunisations, certainly in my case this was the cause of my daughter’s fevers and since my last post in July we have not had a single relapse of her past condition.  I chose not to immunise her younger brother (now 20 months) and I have not had a single problem with him.
From my own research and experience into your question and this is from a Chinese Medicine perspective - reoccurring fevers can still occur in a child who is not immunised in instances where a child never really recovers from a pathogen and it is left to linger in the body.  For example a child may get a cold/flu, the child is given drugs which may mask or remove the symptoms but the pathogen may still remain.  The pathogen is then left to thrive in the body and may continue to reappear as fevers, ear infections, coughs, continuous runny nose etc.  The symptoms will continue to reoccur until the pathogen is removed.  The longer the pathogen lingers in the body the more severe/reoccurring the symptoms maybe.  Of course this is from an Eastern Medical background and I am sure you will be hard pressed to find a Western Doctor who will agree with this point of view.  
In regards to immunisation it seems to me that the link may not be the immunisation itself but the age that we administer them.  That is, if a baby already has weak constitution for whatever reason and it is immunised could this be indicative of how well it continues to thrive – is the immunisation enough to compromise their immune system and weaken its responses to fighting and expelling the antibodies?  Possibly.

Good luck with your search and I wish you all the best with your son.
I am glad and sad at the same time .my story is same too.my daughter almost 4 had been having recurrent fever since she started her preschool.She will come up with fever almost every 7-8 weeks.her temp will shoot up to 105..went to ER  once.will c/o leg pain and headache some times.I  am really very scared about all this.I wish we all can have answers . Praying for good health for all our kids...................
Hi my name is Lee Anne i'm a mother of five....Our storie sounds very similar to mine my daughter will be 4 in january she started a fever on tuesday night that spikes to 103 so I give her the children advil and withen 5 hours she spikes again so this time i called my doc right away and ask when i can bring her in I explain to the secretary that the doc just saw her on monday and told me to bring her in as soon as she starts the fevers explaining that she been doing these evry other week since jully so the secretary tells me to bring her in for 1pm so i go there and the doc sais  that they are just virals infections and to let it go till saterday morning and if it dosn't leave give her this prescription....so again i wait till saterday and sure enoughf by saterday morning she ok the fevers have stoped now with her she has no other symptoms that i can see from the outside but she does wake up winning and crying witch again freaks me out because at that time she is fevering at 103-104....Give her the meds and she good for another 5 hours.

Well to all the parents out there thank you for sharing our stories keep your head up and together we can support each other sometimes that'a all a parent needs...take care.
Thank you so much for your post!  It definitely gives me something to think about.  I agree with the info you posted.  In our case I believe that he is still trying to fight off something that we passed into his system during his 1 year shots.  He has been on antibiotics twice now during the highest fevers (above 105) but this past fever, last week, was only 104.4 so I decided to wait it out (3 days!) and see how he did.  Of course I am still pumping Advil and Tylenol into him during this time, which I always feel guilty about, but when it's that high it is wise sometimes to bring it down.  I know that fever happens for a reason, and it is our systems' way of fighting things off so I'm always hesitant to add drugs to the mix that hinder our natural process!  When Weston had his 1 year shots he was coming down with a cold and had a runny nose.  The nurse said we don’t put off immunizations for runny noses, so away we went.  A friend later told me she was told the opposite by her doctor… we NEVER immunize if we feel the immune system is compromised in ANY way, including runny noses!  So again, I regret immunizing him while he was slightly sick and had other things to fight off, but maybe I will never know if this was part of the problem.  I am hoping soon he will finally fight off whatever reoccurring evil it is and we will be free from this monthly cycle!  It’s disheartening to hear that so many are still battling with the issue as their kids get older.  What do they say in Eastern medicine about removing the pathogen?  Do they believe that left to our own defenses we will eventually fight it off?  Thank you again for your post!
And to kye1961 , you definitely got me thinking about the decline of our immune systems due to constant assault from vaccines, antibiotics and antibacterial products.  There are a lot of scary topics out there and when I get thinking about all the childhood diseases and disorders we could be dealing with I feel thankful that this is all I have on my plate.  It’s scary to think that things like ADHD, depression and Autism are on the rise and we have no answers as to why!  Ah life gets so much more complicated when you have children.  Someone once said to me that having a baby is sort of like ripping your heart out of your chest and watching it run around on the outside for the rest of your life.  I hope all the babies in this forum have a healthy, happy holiday season!  
My child is 14 mths old and has had a fever on an off since she was about 6mths old. That is when most babies start teething so maybe shes just teething. Her fever (temp of 101 to 103) seem to start about a week after her vaccines. I read alot about teething its seems that babies do run low grade fevers when they are teething between 99 to 101 but some can go as high as 104.  I took her to the dr alomost a week from her vaccines, Her peds said this was normal that she could run a temp a week after her vaccines and that i should have read the hand out!  I have two other children who ran low grade temp 99 to 101 and were irritable after their shots. But her temps seem to recure she would be ok for 3 to 4 days then she have a fever for 4 to 5 days. Im not sure anymore is it teething or the vaccines? I took her to the doctors after she ran a temp for almost a week, she was neg for strep, did not have a UTI or an ear infection, just some drainage from her nose they gave her an antibiotic. That night she had a fever of 103. Maybe the antibiotic just needs time to work the fever ended about 72 hours after the start of the antibiotic, however the fever is back she is still on the antibiotic it has been only a week and the fever is back already. Its a Holiday today, way to start the new year off. I will take her back to the doctor on monday if she still has a temp.  She did get a molar in the past week. Not sure teething or ? fever.
I would ask for some blood work and maybe and x-ray.Maybe there is something underlying.although if you have read my precious posts then you will see that sometimes our son did have pneumonia and sometimes there was no cause.He is 3 and still has the fevers but he has a few CHD's so we have to take him to the ped everytime he gets a fever higher than 101.F. Hope you find some answers.
I cannot believe I found this site! It's like reading about my son from dozens of other Mothers. My baby Joey (who just turned 1) has been having high fevers every 3 weeks since he was 8 months old. Usually ranging from 105-106. Every time we take him to the doctor we hear the same thing..."It's a virus" They run test after test each time and everything is always normal! "stone cold perfect" was what the last doctor said. (the 3rd doctor we've seen)
We are being referred to a Rhumatologist next. I guess we'll see what he says..............
Our son Broc is finally having his tonsils and adenoids (adenoids) out in Feb.We are waiting to see if the fevers will subside after that.Rhumetologist and Immunologist and Infectious Disease specialist are some of the drs we have seen with Broc.He also sees a GI Dr,ENT Dr and a Pulmonologist as he was dx with RAD..Of course he sees a Cardiologist too as he has several Congenital Heart defects.He has just been through open heart surgery.
I really hope you find some answers.
MY DAUGHTER IS 8 NOW AND WHEN SHE WAS BORN I BREAST FEED HER TILL SHE WAS ABOUT 3 MONTHS OLD. BY THE TIME SHE WAS 5 MONTHS OLD SHE HAD STARTED RUNNING FEVERS ABOUT EVERY 15 DAYS. DOCTORS WOULD ALWAYS TELL ME SHE HAS EAR INFECTIONS OR COLD OR WHATEVER THEY COULD TO RIGHT IT OFF AND HUSH ME UP. WHEN SHE TURNED 3 I HAD A FIT AT HER PRIMARY DOC ABOUT HER RUNNING FEVERS EVEN ON ANTIBIOTICS. DOC FINALLY SENT UP FOR BLOOD WORK. IT CAME BACK ABNOMAL. LIVER ENZYMES WAS NOT GOOD. THEY SAID SHE HAD CYSTIC FIBROSES.( PLEASE FOR GIVE THE BAD SPELLING) AFTER THE DIAGNOSIS THEY SEND US TO A SPECIALIST WHO TOLD ME SHE DIDNT HAVE IT. IN THE MEAN TIME SHE RUNS FEVERS ABOUT EVERY 15 DAYS AND NOW HAS EXTREAMLY BAD ABDOMINAL / STOMACH PAINS THAT HAPPEN ALL THE TIME. SOMETIMES WAKING HER UP FROM SLEEP. IVE TAKEN HER TO NIH = NATIONAL INSTUTE OF HEALTH A COUPLE TIMES SHES HAD MRI, CAT SCAN, ULTRA SCANS, SEVERAL BLOOD TEST INCLUDING TESTS FOR PERIODIC FEVERS ALL 5 THAT YOU CAN TEST FOR AND SHE DONT HOLD TITERS TO TETNIS , POLIO AND A FEW OTHERS. SHE HAD UPPER GI ,CHANGED DIET... EVERYTHING SEVERAL DOCTORS CAN THINK OF AND EVERYTHING I CAN THINK OF. EVERY DOCTOR I TAKE HER TO JUST GIVES UP AND PASSES HER TO THE NEXT SPECIALIST. SHE IS NOW FIXING TO BE 9 AND SHE MISSES ABOUT 30 DAYS OF SCHOOL A YEAR, CRIES BECAUSE SHE HURTS FROM STOMACHS ATLAEST EVERY OTHER DAY, STILL RUNNING THE FEVERS ABOUT EVERY 13 TO 15 DAYS .AND NOTHING NOT EVEN TYLENOL OR ADVIL HELPS THE PAIN HELPS THE FEVER SOMETIMES. MISSES OUT ON SO MUCH. THIS WILL BREAK A MOTHERS HEART IT RIPS AT MY SOUL.... EVERY OTHER DAY WHEN SHE IS IN PAIN I FACE ...YOU CAN NOT FIX YOUR DAUGHTER... YOU CAN NOT MAKE HER FEEL BETTER AND YOU CAN NOT EVEN TELL HER WHY. NIH SAID SHE HAS SOME KIND AUTOIMMUNE DIFICENCY BUT THEY DONT KNOW WHAT KIND AND THEY ALSO BELEIVE SHE HAS SOMETHING ELSE GOING ON WITH HER ...THEY DONT KNOW WHAT IT IS. FOR 9 YRS I HAVE FAUGHT FOR MY DAUGHTER I WILL NOT EVER GIVE UP BUT OMG I AM TRULY AT A LOST ON WHERE ELSE TO GET HELP...
Not sure what drs you have seen but have you seen a rhuematologist.There is a periodic fever symdrome that causes severe stomach pains and has a cyclic fever.Just a thought.
Yea there are sever different kinds of periodic fever but the main 5 are the only ones that can be tested for through heretity test ... She came up negitive for those 5 .. You can still have it if the test are negitive but its very rare .. And they wont treat it unless its a positive test because of the sevrerity of the meds. the side affects are really hard on the child.. thanks sooo much for the thought... any other ideas??? Im thinking about taking this public she cant be the only one in the world thats going through this !!! Even thou it feels as so! I am right now tring to get her in with ANOTHER rhuematologist as we speak but this one is the 4th one....
WOW! Glad to know there are others out there experiencing the same thing. My 15 month old daughter has been experiencing fevers from 102-106 since she was about 7 months old with a sore throat. Early on we thought is was her ears so she got tubes. She's had tubes since mid November and since then she has been in the ER on Thanksgiving and New Year's Day with a high temp and she has 104 now.
You say she has a sore throat.There is a periodic fever syndrome that goes along with that called PFAPA.Please look it up.That is one of the ones my son has been dx with since he was 2.He is having his tonsils and adenoids (adenoids) out in 3 weeks and we cannot wait to see a difference.
Tava 76 - Have you seen an Infectious Disease Specialist and have her tested for many of those.Our son was admitted to a Childrens Hospital for 3 days and was looked at by a team of drs.They did all come back negative and at the end he was diagnosed with Reactive Epstein Barr Virus.It does lower his immune system so he does get sick very often.He also has many other health issues too.He has reflux aspiration that causes pneumonia and many times he just has a fever cause his WBC are trying to fight the infections that the aspiration is causing.
Maybe try calling a Childrens Hospital.Not sure where you live and see if they can admit her and monitor her for a period of time.They did that with our son while he was in a fever episode.
That is one thing that hasnt been done yet for her to be admitted for a time .We live in Panama City Fl. and the docs here dont know anything and its very frustrating when we have to make ER trips... She has seen a Infectious Disease Specialist but only once and that is when they sent us to NIH .. I will check it out and I thank you so much! If ANYONE can think of anything I am greatful... If anyone runs across anything that shows the same signs as my daughter please let me know so maybe I can get her tested for it... PROTEA I hope the best for your family and your son! I hope the best for everyone on here looking for suport and help !

Again signs are as follows

fevers about every 13 - 15 days lasting 3 to 5 days temp ranges 102 - 106 the highest was 107.1

sever stomach pains 3 to 5 days a week pains come and go and so does the severity

wbc is slightly elevated

crp elevates on most bloodwork done

IGG level elevated on most bloodwork

IGM IGA is elevated sometimes never at the same time as the other IG levels its always only 1 IG level that if off at a time

bloodwork always different (thats what has the drs confused)

ultrasounds and mri differ also

upper GI test normal

gallblater had slight inflamation (inflammation) once then normal

liver had slight inflamation (inflammation) 2 times then normal

kidney infection 2 times
blatter infection 3 times

reaccuring blisters in mouth and on her lips mainly around time of fevers

bliters on her fingures mainly her thumb around her nail but sometime will be on other fingures and they do accure all over her figure sometimes

dont hold titers for tetnis.. polio.. mmr

but holds titters for the rest of immu. school shots

they have tried giving her prednisolone did help fevers but only eased them but made stomach pains unbareable

pneumococcal vaccine is the only thing that has stoped fevers completely for about 3 to 6 months at a time shes had 4 but your only supost to get 1 they dont want to keep giving it to her...

There is another period syndrome with stomach pains.I think Mediteranian Familial Fever Syndrome.I would also look into contacting a Mayo Clinic or a Childrens Hospital and see if they can admit her for a week and try to figure out what is happening.The best thing you can do is keep a diary of everything.That is what i did for my son and they really were able to follow a pattern.

I really hope they figure something out for you all.
I keep a diary of temps for her and the MFS is one of the periodic fevers she was tested for and was negitive..Most def ..i will try a in hospital study.. thanks....
My daughter is 18 months old and she has been having recurring fevers for the past 4 months. She gets them between the 22-25th of each month and they last till the second week of the next month.

Each time we get blood work done and nothing comes back abnormal. This time we had them done and her white blood count was up but the doctors said it could be from anything.

Also each time she has these fevers she has pus on her tonsils but the strep test comes back negative.

I am at a loss. She has had 4 seizures due to these high temps and I am getting sick of getting the run around from the doctors.

Any advice?
Have you tried taking your LO to the ENT.There is a periodic fever syndrome called PFAPA.It is related to the tonsils.Our son although he did have 9 strep infections his tonsils were holding onto other bacteria and viruses that were making him sick too.Our ENT and us made the decision to have his tonsils,adenoids (adenoids) out and ear tubes put in.When they took his tonsils and adenoids (adenoids) out they said they were huge.

He has not had a high fever that is unrelated since then.He has had high fevers but there was always a source mainly pneumonia.When our son had the high fevers there was a routine that his ped would do.They would check ears,nose throat and ask for obvious symptoms.If he was not eating well or complaining of a sore throat then they would check for strep.If that was negative they would do a chest x-ray.Since they started doing the chest x-ray we have discovered that he has had pneumonia a few times due to his reactive airway disease.

Those are a few of the options we did but I would certainly try ENT and also if you have kept a diary of her fevers you could ask for a consult with the Infectious disease Drs.Having a diary of her fevers and all the symptoms that go with them really helps them pin-point what it could be.

I really hope you find some answers.
Call the EPA and ask them about the checkerboard chemtrails that are bring sprayed above your cities.  High traces of barium which wreaks havoc on the immune systems of children.  Doctors will NOT help you find the truth out.  YouTube for answers: chemtrails....

WOW!  I am so glad I stumbled across this site!  I seriously have thought I was crazy and all alone.  Not that I'm glad that each of you are experiencing this, but I am so glad I am not alone.  My little boy, Dylan, will be 18 months on April 9.  He had his first ear infection at 2.5 months and has had numerous other ones.  He had tubes put in the first week of Feb. and has already had another one since then.  The first high fever I can remember was at about 6 months.  He had another one at 8 months (104.6 -- I remember because I took a picture because he was super happy and squirming around with such a high fever).  We didn't really think anything of these until Jan. 29 when he had a fever of 103.7 and his first febrile seizure.  Since then he spiked again two and a half weeks ago (went from 100.5 - 104.8 in an hour) and another seizure.  We have noticed that he is ALWAYS between 99.0 and 101 every day, but drops to 98.0-98.8 at night.  He has had numerous blood tests (WBC slightly elevated, but nothing worrisome), chest x-rays (lungs clear), and a urinalisys.  This came back with WBC in his urine, but the culture for a UTI was negative.  We now have an appointment with a pediatric infectious disease dr. at Children's on April 21.  Since the first seizure (and then with the second) we've noticed that he's spiked fevers every 6-8 weeks from the time he was 6 months.  Now when he does, the seizures kick in.  I'm really hoping that the dr. will be able to provide some answers for us.  With WBC in his urine - there is definitely something going on!!!
Dylan was also born at 34w0d.  I have been wondering if this has anything to do with his fevers.....

Thoughts....
I really hope you get some answers.Our son is being tested by a geneticist now as he is having a lot of other symptoms too.We are still waiting for the test to come back.
Cylical Neutropenia or CF
oHHHH LORD THANKS FOR THIS SITE! I AM GLAD I AND NOT THE ONLY ONE WITH THIS PROBLEM. MY SON IS ALMOST 4 YEARS OLD...AND UNTIL LAST YEAR HE WaS HAVING FEVERS EVERY 28 DAYS....THE FEVERS WENT AWAY FOR A YEAR...BUT A YEAR LATER ARE COMING BACK....IT IS AWFUL...I DO NOT HAVE LIFE AGAIN....I TOOK HIM TO EVERY SPECIALIST IN TOWN ...AND ALWAYS THEY SAID IT WAS A VIRUS...IT IS AWFUL LOOKING MY SON SUFFER WITH THIS....GOD HELP US..AND HEAL OUR LITTLE ONES...THEY DO NOT DESERVE TO SUFFER WITH THIS.
I have a 3 year old daughter who had the all the same symptoms as previous posts.  Fever every 3rd week, Dark circles under eyes, excessive thirst, very clingy and moany. Fevers started when she was 8 months old, every 4 -5 weeks apart. As she's got older they were every 3 weeks and lasted at least 4 days. She was normally sick at least once and had no obvious cause for the fever.

Consultant suspected periodic fever syndrome, but wanted to start a course of antibiotics every 3 weeks to see if it prevented the fever before a diagnoses was made.

As the fevers started when I introduced dairy to her diet, I wanted to remove dairy to see if related. The very next day she said that her tummy no longer hurt (she had never complained about this). Colour returned to her cheeks and over the next few weeks she had tons more energy. She became very confident and no longer clingy. Her periodic fevers seem to have disappeared for the past 8 months. She is susceptible to get a fever when she gets ill, but there has always been a cause and they now respond to ibuprofen and antibiotics.

Our consultant thought I was crazy when I suggested dairy being the trigger, but he has since changed his mind! It really is worth a go. Such a simple solution to end such heart ache. I'd be really interested to hear if anyone else has eliminated dairy from the diet and whether they have found the milk proteins or enzymes to be the culprit?

Brocs genetics test came back.He has 16p11.2 Duplication syndrome.We are so happy that we have some answers.It does mean that our son is very rare but happy non the less.There is also an org which is going to help us figure this all out.
My daughter is 2 years old and for a year now I have been documenting her Monthly fevers they occur every 25-33 days like clockwork with the temps reaching 105. We take her to the dr and they test for flu, strep,UTI, ear infections and she never has anything but the vomiting. Once she throws up the temps start coming down and she starts feeling better. The fever can last any where from 1-3 days and seems to be worse at night.  She is also very thirsty all the time.  We had been told in the past that it was just a virus and she would be better in about a week but we have 2 other kids that never get this and she never been sick with anything else except one case of bronchitis and that was recent, But now that I brought them the documentation they are taking it more seriously.  We are going to see a Id specialist at Texas Childrens as soon as we can get an apt.  any idea what this might be?  
We had our apointment with the infectious disease doctor - lots of blood testing, u/s, complete exam.  Results -- nothing except suspected reflux.  He suggested that we pull him out of daycare and I stay home with him. (I would LOVE nothing more than that, but we have bills to pay and cannot afford for me not to work). We were sent on our way.  Two days later, daycare called - 103.7 temp.  I immediately called both our primary dr and the id doctor asking them what I should do since they say nothing is wrong with him.  We brought him in to his primary and the id doc called just as a dr came in (not our normal dr). I just handed her the phone and told them to figure it out.  She was taken by surprise and didn't like that I did it, but I'm starting to get fed up.  They did have a conversation and think:

He has reflux     causes    sinus infections    causes     fever    causes   seizures

She put him on an augmentin for the sinus infection and prevacid for the reflux.  What do you know - when he's on the anitbiotic, his temp is 98.6 every time.  Two days after the end of the cycle, he's back to 100 or 100.5.  UGH!  I'm beyond frustrated.  I've also noticed some new skin things going on with him - blistery type things on his feet that eventually peel multiple layers of skin off and light pink raised bumps on his thighs and upper arms (about the size of a pea).  They don't seem to bother him, but they are getting worse.  It's hard to know if this is related or not.

I just want answers!!!!!!!!!!
FYI - being on Prevacid for the reflux did not help.  We are now going through allergy testing and going back to the ENT to have a look at adenoids (adenoids) and tonsils.  It seems aparent that he has reoccuring/constant sinus infections that are causing the fevers.  The new doctor we are with is really helping us out.  Says it's taking awhile, but we are moving in the right direction and ruling one thing out at a time.  She believes it is adenoids (adenoids) and once those are removed it will put an end to the sinus infections, therefore ending the reoccuring/constant fevers.  I'm glad I brought up the thought about the tonsils -- I learned to mention that from this website.  THANK YOU!!!

Allergies are another thought because on top of all of this he has developed ezcema (eczema) on his arms, legs and feet.  Blood testing is being done and I will get the results in a week.

ENT appointment next week.  Hoping for answers/solution soon!
Oh I am so happy that you found a dr that will work with you.Once we found the right ped we were so happy.Broc had his tonsils,adenoids (adenoids) out and another set of ear tubes put in in Feb this year and we were told there would be a +- 3-4 months for a full recovery for the body to adjust.Broc was ill since his T&A surgery but that was because he was ill before and also it was Winter.He does have reflux so had aspiration pneumonia and a sinus infection.Then after April he was well.I mean no fevers , nothing and then this past 2 weeks he was ill with no fever but ended up being an upper resp. infection. He had strep throat 10 times last year.I really think the T and A surgery will be a great idea.
I hope you will finally see the light at the end of the tunnel.
PFAPA!!!!
Many of you have described your children's illness as reoccurring every 2 to 6 weeks or so with a fever of 100 to 106, or so.  This sounds just like PFAPA.  My older daughter has suffered with it her entire childhood to date and she has just turned 10.  It began around 6 to 8 months.  She would begin getting a fever with symptoms of a rash in her throat(not strep) a head ache, a stomach ache and lethargy. This would last 3 days to 2 weeks each time.  Every time doctors would say it was yet another virus and I would argue it was more.  When she was about 3 we moved and had to get a new doctor who had just had another patient with PFAPA so he caught it immediately!
Now...Bad news.  There really isn't much you can do but wait it out.  You can administer a steroid that will make them feel better in a day or so but research shows it causes the symptoms to cycle at a faster pace and upon trying the steroid a couple times, this is true.  She became sick again sooner.  Not to mention the side effects of steroids on a child are miserable, she would have uncontrollable tantrums.  It was not worth it.  They told me PFAPA would wear off at about 8years old and it sort of did.  The long bouts of sickness ended but to this day she will still spike small fevers with a headache and belly ache but only for a day or two and she is able to tell us so we can knock it out quickly with motrin.  
Sorry to go on but thought several of you may want to know how this works since it is fairly uncommon.  I suggest loading your cabinets with Children's Motrin and Children's Benedril(sometimes they just need help sleeping) and plan on MANY hours of cuddling!
It proved to be harder on us than on her.  Broke our hearts in fact!  But she's a really tough kid now when she's sick!  :)
Good Luck!
Try seeing an allergist.

There are blood tests that can detect whether the infection is viral or bacterial.  The key is finding what is causing the virus.  My little one KEPT getting pneumonia and it turned out she was allergic to peanuts and we had been giving her PB&J sandwhiches.  He may be fighting virus that is being spawned by an allergic reaction or a series of them.
Broc was dx with PFAPA and that is why we had his tonsils out in Feb. He was just in the hospital again.It started with strep,then the next day he was admitted with a high fever and low WBC.He was in hospital for 7 days.Testing came back and he had parvovirus B19 and para influenza virus.He slept for 5 days straight. We then came home and tested for cyclic neutropenia and that came back negative after 6 weeks.We are now seeing an immunologist/allergist next Thursday.I am eagerly waiting to see what happens.He was dx with strep again this past Wed and is on Zithromycin again.He just had that a few weeks ago for a bad sinus infection. I have noticed that he only runs a normal temp on antibiotics unless its a virus.When he is well his temp if from 97.9F-98.3 then when he is not well it goes from 99.6F-100.8F.Then when he is really ill it goes from 101F-104F.
I have been looking at his fever/sick diary and it seems like he will be ill for 12-16 days and then a 3-4 day break and then sick again.Its really crazy.I really hope immu/allergy can find some more answers for us.
My 4.5 year old son is "prone to fevers" and I'm looking for a solution.  This thread has been helpful.  What I read is that, while it can be caused by many things that can be tested for, that it's the immune system reacting, sometimes mildly and sometimes perhaps overreacting.

I think my plan of approach is going to start with an IgG allergy test for food sensitivities.  Test for heavy metal toxicity in his body.  Along with persisting a low sugar/white flour/dyes/artificial anything diet.  Depending on the results of those tests, going on something like a GAPS diet that helps heal the gut.

I've been reading the forum for a few weeks now and decided to start my own temperature diary for my daughter.  She is 18 months old and has been getting fevers since she was about 8 months old.  They kept telling me it's a virus, ear infections, her teeth, and just common colds.  I know that some of the times that was probably true.  But here lately she has been keeping a temp. of 99.7 - 100.8.  There seems to be no break like everyone lists above.  She really doesn't have a period when she doesn't have a fever (always taken rectally).  Although, last month there was about 1 week when she was at a normal temp. but that one week is it.  She eats pretty well, plays great and sleeps really good at night.  To look at her and watch her you wouldn't know she had a temp.  I'm really confused.  I know she doesn't have a virus - there's no way it would last this long.  Does a constant temperture fall under the symptoms of PFAPA? Any help or advise would be wonderful!!! Please!
For PFAPA Broc normally had a period of about 3-5 days with a high fever of 101-104F.Orally. He also had a sore throat too and some swollen glands.We have just been to see an immunologist and he said that Broc has very bad sinus and post nasal drip which keeps making him sick and thus causing the fevers.We have also done extensive blood work on antibodies and B and T cells but we are waiting for those results.
I would definitely ask your ped if you can see either I.D. Dr or immunology/allergy Dr.

The day my son was born his temperature was very high. The nurses rushed to cool his temperature down.  

He is now four and had normal fevers up until 4 years old.  Then, he will develop a fever 102-104 and have no other symptoms. After a day or two, the fever will go away.  During one episode, I took him to the doctor. His pediatrician took a blood sample after she checked him negative for an ear infection and strep throat. She assured me he had a virus.  The test results came back with very low white blood cells count, meaning his body was not fighting off a virus of any kind.  The doctor could not explain the fever.  I am thinking he may just naturally fight off infections or maybe his body temperature just naturally runs high.  

As I was leaving, his doctor stated my son  would probably develop other symptoms later, but when I put him the bed that night. His fever was gone.   He never acted lethargic or gave me any indication that he was in pain.  
My daughter is 23 now but from infancy to around 8 or 9 years old she had issues every two weeks with high fever and vomiting. After many visits to Doctors and Hospitals and a lot of missed school days, we were finally referred to an allergist who preformed a scratch test and discovered she had several things she was allergic to on top of an issue with asthma.  After a few follow up visits to the allergist, her health issues disappeared with the use of a few meds.  By the time she was 16, she was off all the meds and had outgrown the asthma. After all the years of dealing with her illness, it was an incredible relief to discover what the issue was.   Do not rule out allergies and/or asthma.  
FYI - my son (now 25 months) has cofirmed allergies and has had his adenoids (adenoids) removed.  With the addition of Flonase to his medications, monotoring his food & external allergies and removing the adenoids (adenoids), we have only had ONE sinus infection in the past 3 months!  He has been off of anitbiotics since the middle of October (the longest period ever) and is doing great.

Please urge your doc to check into allergies and removal of the adenoids (adenoids)!  I urged due to this forum and am so glad I have!
My daughter, who is now 5, has routine fevers; ranging from 101-102... sometimes higher, but that's the average.

It's almost like clockwork.  Every 3-6 weeks, generally during the night. She will wake up at night burning up.  After taking her temperature, I will then give her Tylenol, and usually she goes right back to sleep. By morning time, the fevers are usually gone, or gone by late morning.  It's the weirdest thing. Sometimes, she is super cranky, and other times she is just her normal self; but running a fever.

I’ve had her evaluated, with no explanation for the re-occurring fevers.  Basically, what the Doctor mentioned was the next time she gets a fever to go and get her blood drawn.  Also mentioned an Infectious Disease Doctor would get in-touch with us (which she didn't). So, now I'm going to wait =(
Please see my post from May12th.  It may be worth removing dairy from your daughters diet to see if any improvement.  It really is easy to find dairy substitutes and a list of ingredients to avoid on the web.  I saw an improvement over night. It has been nearly 1 and a half years since we stopped dairy and the periodic fevers have stopped.  Please note- we had allergy tests performed and these were all normal, so likely to be non IgE mediated.  I really hope that it is this simple for you.  Ukmum2
I agree 100% with you Ukmum2! We've been a dairy free family (6 of us) for about 3 years now. Our family feels GREAT! It's been a huge change for us, from where we were before we eliminated dairy. But I must add, soy is a dangerous alternative.
A friend's 18-month-old baby has, or had, a temperature of 39 degrees C and depression.  What could be the cause; and what would be a home remedy?
its so true, my 20 month old son has recurring fevers. I have been in and out of emergencies and everytime it has to do with his tonsils. I am very frustrated cause his on antibiotics again for the 5th time in 5 months and now I am waiting on an appt with the ear and throat specialist to see when he gets his tonsls removed. I have been waiting for 2 wks for this appt and nothing yet.
Has anyone mentioned Celiac Disease? Or other food intolerances like Gluten? Casein? Soy?

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/CDCFactSheets10_SymptomList.pdf

http://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/topic/88461-fevers-anyone/

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/
Our son Broc has just had a GI distress profile done and it all came back negative as we were also thinking a food allergy or intolerance.

At the moment we are seeing a metabolic specialist to test for Mitochondrial or metabolic disorders.
My daughter is 18 months old and we are having the same problem.  She has fevers that range from 103-107.4 and we have also gotten the recurring "virus" of "fever of unknown origin" diagnosis.  I took her to a children's urgent care and the dr. there recommended that she see an infectious disease specialist.  I'm trying to work that out now.  Please let me know if you make any progress with your child.  I am also at the end of my rope!
We did end up seeing an ID Dr as well.They have been very helpful in letting us know what tests the Immuno should do as well.Have you seen an Immunologist yet.I think that may be a good place to start.
Does she get a sore throat with the fevers? If so ID can help you.Our son was dx with something called PFAPA. Unfortunately for us after we had his tonsils and adenoids (adenoids) out his fevers and infections still never stopped.
He is also being tested for Cystic Fibrosis.Our ped is having a sweat test done on him to rule it out.
Aslo have you been seen by  GI to see if she has underlying reflux which could cause many infections such as sinus,ear etc.There are many different avenues you could look into.
Let me know if you have anymore questions please.
My son is the same way and I can't get answers either. It's always just a virus and I know it's not. It is something else and I can't seem to get the doctors to listen to me. His highest fever was 105.2 and I can tell when he gets sick because his breath smells like aerosol spray or something. They don't seem to care about his weird breath. He just turned 2 yesterday and he has had croup 10 times since birth and pneumonia 8 times. We moved out of our apartment because we thought something there might have been making him sick but it doesn't seem to be helping. He has a 5 year old sister and she is never sick.
my 4 yr old daughter has the same thing. it started when she got a viral infection when she was 9 mos old and since then she gets a fever every 3 mos.  it changed when she turned 2, it became every month. few months ago i took her to the e.r. due to 105.2 fever and stomach ache.  they told me it was u.t.i.  and she has high wbc due to infection then they send us home with antibiotics.  her pedia said it was not documented as uti because the urine culture was mixed flora.  she suggested renal sonogram and repeat urine culture.  all results were normal.  after that she had 3 episodes again, took her back to her pedia and she said it was viral.  now her temp is 98.9 and i know it is starting again.  ill take her to the e.r.. tom and will ask them about periodic fever and tonsils problems.  
My son is 4yr son reaccuring fevers started in April and they have lasted for 7days. His fever ranges from 102-104 and the Dr says is virual and the fever has to run it's course. I am so sick of hearing this, I thought there was hope last month (May) Dr gave him antibiotic but took him off after Strp test came back negative. Now today he started his fever cycle again. He is seen at a military faciltiy and I am getting really frustrated. I am glad I am not crazy or being a over protective mom. I know something else has to be going on here it  isn't normal for a child to have fevers every month let alone lasting more then 3 days. My plan is to sked his med appointment and if they say "virual" crap to me I will be asking for a referral to see another Dr outside of the military facitilty.
I didn't read all the comments, so I don't know if this has been mentioned... but:

I don't have advice for the actual fevers but, since you son is having high fevers regularly I recommend you read up on febrile seizures.  I'm not trying to add more stress and worry to your situation, but it should be something you are aware of if your child has recurring high fevers (like ours did).  One day when our son was around a year old he had a fever of around 104.5 and he went into a seizure.  It was terrifying.  Again, I'm not bringing it up to scare you, but had I known what was going on I wouldn't have been so scared when it happened.  I recommend that you know how to care for a baby during a seizure just in case.  A little info on the subject will go a long way if it ever happens.
I have never responded to one of these things online, but I was hoping to chat with you about what you wrote. My 13 month old daughter has been having recurrent fevers forever although when I tried to track them as her ped. suggested, they werent as much like clockwork as I had thought. Could she still have this even if it is sometimes 2 weeks, 3 weeks, the longest has been 6 weeks. I am mainly terrified about the steroids thing for a 1 year old. How do they affect them at this age? Just seems an extreme medication for a baby right?!
my 2yr old daughter has been sick pretty much since she was born, u name it shes had it from reflux to swallowing difficulty then on to rsv/pneumonia, chronic ear infections! this past march she finally got tubes which stopped all the respiratory issues! i thought they were a miracle for us however a week before she recieved the tubes she was placed in the hospital for a possible twisted bowel which was negative, however her symptoms were extreme high fever vomiting bile with what looked to be blood in it, they tested for many viruses never found anything! now its october and she has had the exact same thing at least every 2-4weeks! fevers 105.3 vomiting bile(bright yellown) even after a full stomach, with what looks like coffee grounds which was actually confirmed to be blood this recent hospital stay... and also found in her stool once. she was transferred out to a childrens hosptial where we saw an infectious disease dr who stated she had periodic fever syndrome but i just dont agree with all her other symtoms (symptoms)! she has had so many labs, a whole immune workup, mono, hpylori, mycoplasma, cytomeglovirus, blood smear( which is not back yet so please pray for us) iga which was a lil low, igm, ige, igg, hfp, cbcs she always has a high wbc, this time they done a crp which was elevated! they are testing her for chrones, celiac, etc... and we also had mold in a house we rented and ive finally tlked her ped dr to order some stuff on that! we are completely worn out but will never quit fighting for her! weve been to duke, goin to roanoke for gi in nov, and nationwide hospital to see some specialists! she also acts as if she it itching all over she is constantly digging, complains of pain in her body, has been dx with uti once however her symptoms were the same as any other time! its always the same color vomit the same fevers and always lasts 3-4days! please help!!!
Has anyone tested her stool for parasites or ova? Hope you get some answers soon.To see your LO so sick all the time is no fun.If she has been on many antibiotics have they tested her stool for c-diff? Our son got it once and now everytime he takes an ABX he gets c-diff.It makes him so ill.Many of the others you have mentioned.A CRP will be looking for inflammation marker in her body.
Another thing is to test for Lyme Disease.
Please keep us posted.
I found this thread back in Sept 2011 when my son (then 22 months old) was having recurring fevers at night. I haven't visited since but wanted to share my story in case it may help someone else out. Please have your pediatricians run & re-run blood work on your kids to rule out leukemia. My son was diagnosed with ALL, a common form of leukemia, in Jan 2012.
Here is our story: In Sept 2011 he was talking but with a limited vocabulary, obviously. His fevers did not come in regular intervals, sometimes days apart, sometimes weeks apart, but always coming on in the middle of the night and topping out at 103.8 degrees. They'd respond to Ibuprofen & go away withing a day or two. His pediatrician ran a basic blood panel & ruled out whatever she was looking for & said it was a virus & he'd get over it. The fevers continued to come & I continued to take him back to his pedi (& another dr in the same office) both of whom said it was just a virus & he'd get over it. By Jan 2012 he was also occasionally complaining of "boo boos" in his arms, legs & head but I thought it was more of a cry for attention since they came & went (side note - we had just had our 2nd child & moved into a new house so he was having a lot of anxiety & seeking a lot of attention.) In Jan 2012 I switched pediatricians & she ran another, more extensive blood panel. She knew right away what was wrong but sent us to an oncologist to be diagnosed. He is currently in remission but will continue chemotherapy for 2 more years. I do not know why the initial blood panel ran in Sept didn't catch the cancer. Maybe it was too early, or a mistake was made, who knows, but I wish it hadn't taken 5 months to diagnose the problem. I know it's unlikely that cancer is the cause of your child's fevers but it's one you should rule out. Best wishes to you all. I hope your children are feeling better.

THERES HOPE! Perhaps a ray of light for any parents who are as anxious as we were about our little boy. Same story...... 3 yr old, Fevers every 3 weeks, poor behaviour & sleep couple days prior to an epidode, night sweats that smell chemically, occasionally tonsillitis at same time of fevrr but usually no other visible symptoms, but crp & esr elevated on blood tests etc..... Got tired of no real answers from medical profession so upon much research decided to treat him for 'gut dysbiosis'. With all the antibiotics he'd been pumped full of in recent months, it could only have been helpful even if it wasn't the actual cause of the problem......And so began the big clean out of his diet to the most simple, basic foods (chicken soup, stews, boiled eggs, veggies etc). I dramatically reduced his dairy & sugar intake, gave him bi-daily over the counter probiotics and perhaps most importantly....., we removed GLUTEN! .... Since a week after we started this........ Not one fever!!!! It's been over 8 wks so keeping everything crossed!!!! His appetite is now unstoppable and he appears so much happier & healthier!! If anyone tries this and it works too, please, please let me know (ive set up an email address specifically and hope people feedback...... Mary.***@****) because I think it needs more research so there aren't so many children & parents suffering out there, perhaps unnecessarily! I just want to say that, I'm not a doctor so im not diagnosing or advising treatments, I'm just a parent sharing her experience in the hope it helps even just one other family x
Hi there! I have a 13 months daughter and she is having fever every single months, doctors say is virus every time we go to check her ! So definitely I'm tired of doctors and ER! In my country they say that some babies can get fever because they are teething! So check your babies teeth cuz it may be a teeth coming out!  Nothing that we can do, just  hope for a fast coming out of the teeth!  Doctors don't agree with this myth but I do, based on my experience too! Hope your babies feel better!
This is EXACTLY what happens to my daughter. Have you found anything out?
Surgery found to cure mysterious, unexplained fevers:

http://www.childrenshospital.org/views/june08/surgery_found_to_cure_mysterious_unexplained_fevers.html
My  2 year old daughter is in the same situation where her CRP is extremely elevated around 168 during fever and goes back to normal after fever. Do you have any update regarding your son's treatment plan and what worked to over come recurring fever.

Thank You
My son has been having recurrent fever since he was 1 year. He is 17 months now. The last episode has been on for 2 weeks now. I have done all manner of work up and nothing seems to be the problem. I am a doc myself but I am confused and his elder brother has not had fever for more than a year. I am going nuts about it
Hello!  Well, where do I start.  My son is 13 years old and the first 12 years were exactly like the many stories I have read.  During his first year, he had 44 weeks of fevers.  He has had 6 surgeries for tubes and adenoids (adenoids) removed twice (yes, they grow back) because of the recurring sinus/ear infections.  After his 6 month vaccination, he had seizures for 2 months.  We saw 6 specialists on a regular basis at the local children's hospital for 12 years. At one point they diagnosed him with cystic fibrosis because of his recurring fevers, sinus infections and chronic pneumonia (he had 4 positive sweat tests).  He eventually developed arthritis and had extreme difficulty walking while at the same time dealing with the high fevers.  They also mentioned Mediterranean Fever to us but I didn't think it fit.  I could go on, but the end result was he was placed on oral steroids and within 9 months, we had a happy healthy kid.  It took another 6 months to wean him off the steroids but it was the BEST thing that ever happened to us.  This school year he has not missed 1 day of school.  ALWAYS insist on hydrocortisone (not prednisone).  Good Luck!!!!
How has it been going with this diet?
Is there any correlation with the child's mother having IBS and passing this on to newborn? my grandson has had stomach trouble from birth and now at 15 months high fevers and lots of ped doc's dismissal of over reactive mom. Does anyone take ill child to a holistic person who is heling with diet to combat allergies, fever, stomach trouble?