Recurring HIGH fever in a 1 year old..
Hi. My son is 13 months old. Since he was about 5 months old, he has off and on developed fevers. He developed teeth early ( he has 13 teeth now) and had several colds from daycare. At the age of around 8 months old, he developed a 106 fever and was rushed to the ER. They sent us home that night with antibiotics and said it was a virus. Since then, yes since then.. he has had a fever on and off. A week has not gone by without developing a fever in between the range of 100-105. Many times, he has no other sympton AT ALL. Now, it has been 7 weeks with recurring HIGH ( 101-104) FEVER. Every time we take him to the doctor, they say it is justa virus and to let it pass. I cannot take this "virus thing" as the answer anymore. Is it just me? Am I crazy or is this abnormal? What does this sound like to you? I need a doctor to help him!
Dylan was also born at 34w0d.  I have been wondering if this has anything to do with his fevers.....

Thoughts....
I really hope you get some answers.Our son is being tested by a geneticist now as he is having a lot of other symptoms too.We are still waiting for the test to come back.
Cylical Neutropenia or CF
oHHHH LORD THANKS FOR THIS SITE! I AM GLAD I AND NOT THE ONLY ONE WITH THIS PROBLEM. MY SON IS ALMOST 4 YEARS OLD...AND UNTIL LAST YEAR HE WaS HAVING FEVERS EVERY 28 DAYS....THE FEVERS WENT AWAY FOR A YEAR...BUT A YEAR LATER ARE COMING BACK....IT IS AWFUL...I DO NOT HAVE LIFE AGAIN....I TOOK HIM TO EVERY SPECIALIST IN TOWN ...AND ALWAYS THEY SAID IT WAS A VIRUS...IT IS AWFUL LOOKING MY SON SUFFER WITH THIS....GOD HELP US..AND HEAL OUR LITTLE ONES...THEY DO NOT DESERVE TO SUFFER WITH THIS.
I have a 3 year old daughter who had the all the same symptoms as previous posts.  Fever every 3rd week, Dark circles under eyes, excessive thirst, very clingy and moany. Fevers started when she was 8 months old, every 4 -5 weeks apart. As she's got older they were every 3 weeks and lasted at least 4 days. She was normally sick at least once and had no obvious cause for the fever.

Consultant suspected periodic fever syndrome, but wanted to start a course of antibiotics every 3 weeks to see if it prevented the fever before a diagnoses was made.

As the fevers started when I introduced dairy to her diet, I wanted to remove dairy to see if related. The very next day she said that her tummy no longer hurt (she had never complained about this). Colour returned to her cheeks and over the next few weeks she had tons more energy. She became very confident and no longer clingy. Her periodic fevers seem to have disappeared for the past 8 months. She is susceptible to get a fever when she gets ill, but there has always been a cause and they now respond to ibuprofen and antibiotics.

Our consultant thought I was crazy when I suggested dairy being the trigger, but he has since changed his mind! It really is worth a go. Such a simple solution to end such heart ache. I'd be really interested to hear if anyone else has eliminated dairy from the diet and whether they have found the milk proteins or enzymes to be the culprit?

Brocs genetics test came back.He has 16p11.2 Duplication syndrome.We are so happy that we have some answers.It does mean that our son is very rare but happy non the less.There is also an org which is going to help us figure this all out.
My daughter is 2 years old and for a year now I have been documenting her Monthly fevers they occur every 25-33 days like clockwork with the temps reaching 105. We take her to the dr and they test for flu, strep,UTI, ear infections and she never has anything but the vomiting. Once she throws up the temps start coming down and she starts feeling better. The fever can last any where from 1-3 days and seems to be worse at night.  She is also very thirsty all the time.  We had been told in the past that it was just a virus and she would be better in about a week but we have 2 other kids that never get this and she never been sick with anything else except one case of bronchitis and that was recent, But now that I brought them the documentation they are taking it more seriously.  We are going to see a Id specialist at Texas Childrens as soon as we can get an apt.  any idea what this might be?  
We had our apointment with the infectious disease doctor - lots of blood testing, u/s, complete exam.  Results -- nothing except suspected reflux.  He suggested that we pull him out of daycare and I stay home with him. (I would LOVE nothing more than that, but we have bills to pay and cannot afford for me not to work). We were sent on our way.  Two days later, daycare called - 103.7 temp.  I immediately called both our primary dr and the id doctor asking them what I should do since they say nothing is wrong with him.  We brought him in to his primary and the id doc called just as a dr came in (not our normal dr). I just handed her the phone and told them to figure it out.  She was taken by surprise and didn't like that I did it, but I'm starting to get fed up.  They did have a conversation and think:

He has reflux     causes    sinus infections    causes     fever    causes   seizures

She put him on an augmentin for the sinus infection and prevacid for the reflux.  What do you know - when he's on the anitbiotic, his temp is 98.6 every time.  Two days after the end of the cycle, he's back to 100 or 100.5.  UGH!  I'm beyond frustrated.  I've also noticed some new skin things going on with him - blistery type things on his feet that eventually peel multiple layers of skin off and light pink raised bumps on his thighs and upper arms (about the size of a pea).  They don't seem to bother him, but they are getting worse.  It's hard to know if this is related or not.

I just want answers!!!!!!!!!!
FYI - being on Prevacid for the reflux did not help.  We are now going through allergy testing and going back to the ENT to have a look at adenoids and tonsils.  It seems aparent that he has reoccuring/constant sinus infections that are causing the fevers.  The new doctor we are with is really helping us out.  Says it's taking awhile, but we are moving in the right direction and ruling one thing out at a time.  She believes it is adenoids and once those are removed it will put an end to the sinus infections, therefore ending the reoccuring/constant fevers.  I'm glad I brought up the thought about the tonsils -- I learned to mention that from this website.  THANK YOU!!!

Allergies are another thought because on top of all of this he has developed ezcema on his arms, legs and feet.  Blood testing is being done and I will get the results in a week.

ENT appointment next week.  Hoping for answers/solution soon!
Oh I am so happy that you found a dr that will work with you.Once we found the right ped we were so happy.Broc had his tonsils,adenoids out and another set of ear tubes put in in Feb this year and we were told there would be a +- 3-4 months for a full recovery for the body to adjust.Broc was ill since his T&A surgery but that was because he was ill before and also it was Winter.He does have reflux so had aspiration pneumonia and a sinus infection.Then after April he was well.I mean no fevers , nothing and then this past 2 weeks he was ill with no fever but ended up being an upper resp. infection. He had strep throat 10 times last year.I really think the T and A surgery will be a great idea.
I hope you will finally see the light at the end of the tunnel.
PFAPA!!!!
Many of you have described your children's illness as reoccurring every 2 to 6 weeks or so with a fever of 100 to 106, or so.  This sounds just like PFAPA.  My older daughter has suffered with it her entire childhood to date and she has just turned 10.  It began around 6 to 8 months.  She would begin getting a fever with symptoms of a rash in her throat(not strep) a head ache, a stomach ache and lethargy. This would last 3 days to 2 weeks each time.  Every time doctors would say it was yet another virus and I would argue it was more.  When she was about 3 we moved and had to get a new doctor who had just had another patient with PFAPA so he caught it immediately!
Now...Bad news.  There really isn't much you can do but wait it out.  You can administer a steroid that will make them feel better in a day or so but research shows it causes the symptoms to cycle at a faster pace and upon trying the steroid a couple times, this is true.  She became sick again sooner.  Not to mention the side effects of steroids on a child are miserable, she would have uncontrollable tantrums.  It was not worth it.  They told me PFAPA would wear off at about 8years old and it sort of did.  The long bouts of sickness ended but to this day she will still spike small fevers with a headache and belly ache but only for a day or two and she is able to tell us so we can knock it out quickly with motrin.  
Sorry to go on but thought several of you may want to know how this works since it is fairly uncommon.  I suggest loading your cabinets with Children's Motrin and Children's Benedril(sometimes they just need help sleeping) and plan on MANY hours of cuddling!
It proved to be harder on us than on her.  Broke our hearts in fact!  But she's a really tough kid now when she's sick!  :)
Good Luck!
Try seeing an allergist.

There are blood tests that can detect whether the infection is viral or bacterial.  The key is finding what is causing the virus.  My little one KEPT getting pneumonia and it turned out she was allergic to peanuts and we had been giving her PB&J sandwhiches.  He may be fighting virus that is being spawned by an allergic reaction or a series of them.
Broc was dx with PFAPA and that is why we had his tonsils out in Feb. He was just in the hospital again.It started with strep,then the next day he was admitted with a high fever and low WBC.He was in hospital for 7 days.Testing came back and he had parvovirus B19 and para influenza virus.He slept for 5 days straight. We then came home and tested for cyclic neutropenia and that came back negative after 6 weeks.We are now seeing an immunologist/allergist next Thursday.I am eagerly waiting to see what happens.He was dx with strep again this past Wed and is on Zithromycin again.He just had that a few weeks ago for a bad sinus infection. I have noticed that he only runs a normal temp on antibiotics unless its a virus.When he is well his temp if from 97.9F-98.3 then when he is not well it goes from 99.6F-100.8F.Then when he is really ill it goes from 101F-104F.
I have been looking at his fever/sick diary and it seems like he will be ill for 12-16 days and then a 3-4 day break and then sick again.Its really crazy.I really hope immu/allergy can find some more answers for us.
My 4.5 year old son is "prone to fevers" and I'm looking for a solution.  This thread has been helpful.  What I read is that, while it can be caused by many things that can be tested for, that it's the immune system reacting, sometimes mildly and sometimes perhaps overreacting.

I think my plan of approach is going to start with an IgG allergy test for food sensitivities.  Test for heavy metal toxicity in his body.  Along with persisting a low sugar/white flour/dyes/artificial anything diet.  Depending on the results of those tests, going on something like a GAPS diet that helps heal the gut.

I've been reading the forum for a few weeks now and decided to start my own temperature diary for my daughter.  She is 18 months old and has been getting fevers since she was about 8 months old.  They kept telling me it's a virus, ear infections, her teeth, and just common colds.  I know that some of the times that was probably true.  But here lately she has been keeping a temp. of 99.7 - 100.8.  There seems to be no break like everyone lists above.  She really doesn't have a period when she doesn't have a fever (always taken rectally).  Although, last month there was about 1 week when she was at a normal temp. but that one week is it.  She eats pretty well, plays great and sleeps really good at night.  To look at her and watch her you wouldn't know she had a temp.  I'm really confused.  I know she doesn't have a virus - there's no way it would last this long.  Does a constant temperture fall under the symptoms of PFAPA? Any help or advise would be wonderful!!! Please!
For PFAPA Broc normally had a period of about 3-5 days with a high fever of 101-104F.Orally. He also had a sore throat too and some swollen glands.We have just been to see an immunologist and he said that Broc has very bad sinus and post nasal drip which keeps making him sick and thus causing the fevers.We have also done extensive blood work on antibodies and B and T cells but we are waiting for those results.
I would definitely ask your ped if you can see either I.D. Dr or immunology/allergy Dr.

The day my son was born his temperature was very high. The nurses rushed to cool his temperature down.  

He is now four and had normal fevers up until 4 years old.  Then, he will develop a fever 102-104 and have no other symptoms. After a day or two, the fever will go away.  During one episode, I took him to the doctor. His pediatrician took a blood sample after she checked him negative for an ear infection and strep throat. She assured me he had a virus.  The test results came back with very low white blood cells count, meaning his body was not fighting off a virus of any kind.  The doctor could not explain the fever.  I am thinking he may just naturally fight off infections or maybe his body temperature just naturally runs high.  

As I was leaving, his doctor stated my son  would probably develop other symptoms later, but when I put him the bed that night. His fever was gone.   He never acted lethargic or gave me any indication that he was in pain.  
My daughter is 23 now but from infancy to around 8 or 9 years old she had issues every two weeks with high fever and vomiting. After many visits to Doctors and Hospitals and a lot of missed school days, we were finally referred to an allergist who preformed a scratch test and discovered she had several things she was allergic to on top of an issue with asthma.  After a few follow up visits to the allergist, her health issues disappeared with the use of a few meds.  By the time she was 16, she was off all the meds and had outgrown the asthma. After all the years of dealing with her illness, it was an incredible relief to discover what the issue was.   Do not rule out allergies and/or asthma.  
FYI - my son (now 25 months) has cofirmed allergies and has had his adenoids removed.  With the addition of Flonase to his medications, monotoring his food & external allergies and removing the adenoids, we have only had ONE sinus infection in the past 3 months!  He has been off of anitbiotics since the middle of October (the longest period ever) and is doing great.

Please urge your doc to check into allergies and removal of the adenoids!  I urged due to this forum and am so glad I have!
My daughter, who is now 5, has routine fevers; ranging from 101-102... sometimes higher, but that's the average.

It's almost like clockwork.  Every 3-6 weeks, generally during the night. She will wake up at night burning up.  After taking her temperature, I will then give her Tylenol, and usually she goes right back to sleep. By morning time, the fevers are usually gone, or gone by late morning.  It's the weirdest thing. Sometimes, she is super cranky, and other times she is just her normal self; but running a fever.

I’ve had her evaluated, with no explanation for the re-occurring fevers.  Basically, what the Doctor mentioned was the next time she gets a fever to go and get her blood drawn.  Also mentioned an Infectious Disease Doctor would get in-touch with us (which she didn't). So, now I'm going to wait =(
Please see my post from May12th.  It may be worth removing dairy from your daughters diet to see if any improvement.  It really is easy to find dairy substitutes and a list of ingredients to avoid on the web.  I saw an improvement over night. It has been nearly 1 and a half years since we stopped dairy and the periodic fevers have stopped.  Please note- we had allergy tests performed and these were all normal, so likely to be non IgE mediated.  I really hope that it is this simple for you.  Ukmum2
I agree 100% with you Ukmum2! We've been a dairy free family (6 of us) for about 3 years now. Our family feels GREAT! It's been a huge change for us, from where we were before we eliminated dairy. But I must add, soy is a dangerous alternative.
A friend's 18-month-old baby has, or had, a temperature of 39 degrees C and depression.  What could be the cause; and what would be a home remedy?
its so true, my 20 month old son has recurring fevers. I have been in and out of emergencies and everytime it has to do with his tonsils. I am very frustrated cause his on antibiotics again for the 5th time in 5 months and now I am waiting on an appt with the ear and throat specialist to see when he gets his tonsls removed. I have been waiting for 2 wks for this appt and nothing yet.
Has anyone mentioned Celiac Disease? Or other food intolerances like Gluten? Casein? Soy?

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/CDCFactSheets10_SymptomList.pdf

http://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/topic/88461-fevers-anyone/

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/
Our son Broc has just had a GI distress profile done and it all came back negative as we were also thinking a food allergy or intolerance.

At the moment we are seeing a metabolic specialist to test for Mitochondrial or metabolic disorders.
My daughter is 18 months old and we are having the same problem.  She has fevers that range from 103-107.4 and we have also gotten the recurring "virus" of "fever of unknown origin" diagnosis.  I took her to a children's urgent care and the dr. there recommended that she see an infectious disease specialist.  I'm trying to work that out now.  Please let me know if you make any progress with your child.  I am also at the end of my rope!
We did end up seeing an ID Dr as well.They have been very helpful in letting us know what tests the Immuno should do as well.Have you seen an Immunologist yet.I think that may be a good place to start.
Does she get a sore throat with the fevers? If so ID can help you.Our son was dx with something called PFAPA. Unfortunately for us after we had his tonsils and adenoids out his fevers and infections still never stopped.
He is also being tested for Cystic Fibrosis.Our ped is having a sweat test done on him to rule it out.
Aslo have you been seen by  GI to see if she has underlying reflux which could cause many infections such as sinus,ear etc.There are many different avenues you could look into.
Let me know if you have anymore questions please.
My son is the same way and I can't get answers either. It's always just a virus and I know it's not. It is something else and I can't seem to get the doctors to listen to me. His highest fever was 105.2 and I can tell when he gets sick because his breath smells like aerosol spray or something. They don't seem to care about his weird breath. He just turned 2 yesterday and he has had croup 10 times since birth and pneumonia 8 times. We moved out of our apartment because we thought something there might have been making him sick but it doesn't seem to be helping. He has a 5 year old sister and she is never sick.
my 4 yr old daughter has the same thing. it started when she got a viral infection when she was 9 mos old and since then she gets a fever every 3 mos.  it changed when she turned 2, it became every month. few months ago i took her to the e.r. due to 105.2 fever and stomach ache.  they told me it was u.t.i.  and she has high wbc due to infection then they send us home with antibiotics.  her pedia said it was not documented as uti because the urine culture was mixed flora.  she suggested renal sonogram and repeat urine culture.  all results were normal.  after that she had 3 episodes again, took her back to her pedia and she said it was viral.  now her temp is 98.9 and i know it is starting again.  ill take her to the e.r.. tom and will ask them about periodic fever and tonsils problems.  
My son is 4yr son reaccuring fevers started in April and they have lasted for 7days. His fever ranges from 102-104 and the Dr says is virual and the fever has to run it's course. I am so sick of hearing this, I thought there was hope last month (May) Dr gave him antibiotic but took him off after Strp test came back negative. Now today he started his fever cycle again. He is seen at a military faciltiy and I am getting really frustrated. I am glad I am not crazy or being a over protective mom. I know something else has to be going on here it  isn't normal for a child to have fevers every month let alone lasting more then 3 days. My plan is to sked his med appointment and if they say "virual" crap to me I will be asking for a referral to see another Dr outside of the military facitilty.
I didn't read all the comments, so I don't know if this has been mentioned... but:

I don't have advice for the actual fevers but, since you son is having high fevers regularly I recommend you read up on febrile seizures.  I'm not trying to add more stress and worry to your situation, but it should be something you are aware of if your child has recurring high fevers (like ours did).  One day when our son was around a year old he had a fever of around 104.5 and he went into a seizure.  It was terrifying.  Again, I'm not bringing it up to scare you, but had I known what was going on I wouldn't have been so scared when it happened.  I recommend that you know how to care for a baby during a seizure just in case.  A little info on the subject will go a long way if it ever happens.
I have never responded to one of these things online, but I was hoping to chat with you about what you wrote. My 13 month old daughter has been having recurrent fevers forever although when I tried to track them as her ped. suggested, they werent as much like clockwork as I had thought. Could she still have this even if it is sometimes 2 weeks, 3 weeks, the longest has been 6 weeks. I am mainly terrified about the steroids thing for a 1 year old. How do they affect them at this age? Just seems an extreme medication for a baby right?!
my 2yr old daughter has been sick pretty much since she was born, u name it shes had it from reflux to swallowing difficulty then on to rsv/pneumonia, chronic ear infections! this past march she finally got tubes which stopped all the respiratory issues! i thought they were a miracle for us however a week before she recieved the tubes she was placed in the hospital for a possible twisted bowel which was negative, however her symptoms were extreme high fever vomiting bile with what looked to be blood in it, they tested for many viruses never found anything! now its october and she has had the exact same thing at least every 2-4weeks! fevers 105.3 vomiting bile(bright yellown) even after a full stomach, with what looks like coffee grounds which was actually confirmed to be blood this recent hospital stay... and also found in her stool once. she was transferred out to a childrens hosptial where we saw an infectious disease dr who stated she had periodic fever syndrome but i just dont agree with all her other symtoms! she has had so many labs, a whole immune workup, mono, hpylori, mycoplasma, cytomeglovirus, blood smear( which is not back yet so please pray for us) iga which was a lil low, igm, ige, igg, hfp, cbcs she always has a high wbc, this time they done a crp which was elevated! they are testing her for chrones, celiac, etc... and we also had mold in a house we rented and ive finally tlked her ped dr to order some stuff on that! we are completely worn out but will never quit fighting for her! weve been to duke, goin to roanoke for gi in nov, and nationwide hospital to see some specialists! she also acts as if she it itching all over she is constantly digging, complains of pain in her body, has been dx with uti once however her symptoms were the same as any other time! its always the same color vomit the same fevers and always lasts 3-4days! please help!!!
Has anyone tested her stool for parasites or ova? Hope you get some answers soon.To see your LO so sick all the time is no fun.If she has been on many antibiotics have they tested her stool for c-diff? Our son got it once and now everytime he takes an ABX he gets c-diff.It makes him so ill.Many of the others you have mentioned.A CRP will be looking for inflammation marker in her body.
Another thing is to test for Lyme Disease.
Please keep us posted.
I found this thread back in Sept 2011 when my son (then 22 months old) was having recurring fevers at night. I haven't visited since but wanted to share my story in case it may help someone else out. Please have your pediatricians run & re-run blood work on your kids to rule out leukemia. My son was diagnosed with ALL, a common form of leukemia, in Jan 2012.
Here is our story: In Sept 2011 he was talking but with a limited vocabulary, obviously. His fevers did not come in regular intervals, sometimes days apart, sometimes weeks apart, but always coming on in the middle of the night and topping out at 103.8 degrees. They'd respond to Ibuprofen & go away withing a day or two. His pediatrician ran a basic blood panel & ruled out whatever she was looking for & said it was a virus & he'd get over it. The fevers continued to come & I continued to take him back to his pedi (& another dr in the same office) both of whom said it was just a virus & he'd get over it. By Jan 2012 he was also occasionally complaining of "boo boos" in his arms, legs & head but I thought it was more of a cry for attention since they came & went (side note - we had just had our 2nd child & moved into a new house so he was having a lot of anxiety & seeking a lot of attention.) In Jan 2012 I switched pediatricians & she ran another, more extensive blood panel. She knew right away what was wrong but sent us to an oncologist to be diagnosed. He is currently in remission but will continue chemotherapy for 2 more years. I do not know why the initial blood panel ran in Sept didn't catch the cancer. Maybe it was too early, or a mistake was made, who knows, but I wish it hadn't taken 5 months to diagnose the problem. I know it's unlikely that cancer is the cause of your child's fevers but it's one you should rule out. Best wishes to you all. I hope your children are feeling better.

THERES HOPE! Perhaps a ray of light for any parents who are as anxious as we were about our little boy. Same story...... 3 yr old, Fevers every 3 weeks, poor behaviour & sleep couple days prior to an epidode, night sweats that smell chemically, occasionally tonsillitis at same time of fevrr but usually no other visible symptoms, but crp & esr elevated on blood tests etc..... Got tired of no real answers from medical profession so upon much research decided to treat him for 'gut dysbiosis'. With all the antibiotics he'd been pumped full of in recent months, it could only have been helpful even if it wasn't the actual cause of the problem......And so began the big clean out of his diet to the most simple, basic foods (chicken soup, stews, boiled eggs, veggies etc). I dramatically reduced his dairy & sugar intake, gave him bi-daily over the counter probiotics and perhaps most importantly....., we removed GLUTEN! .... Since a week after we started this........ Not one fever!!!! It's been over 8 wks so keeping everything crossed!!!! His appetite is now unstoppable and he appears so much happier & healthier!! If anyone tries this and it works too, please, please let me know (ive set up an email address specifically and hope people feedback...... Mary.***@****) because I think it needs more research so there aren't so many children & parents suffering out there, perhaps unnecessarily! I just want to say that, I'm not a doctor so im not diagnosing or advising treatments, I'm just a parent sharing her experience in the hope it helps even just one other family x
Hi there! I have a 13 months daughter and she is having fever every single months, doctors say is virus every time we go to check her ! So definitely I'm tired of doctors and ER! In my country they say that some babies can get fever because they are teething! So check your babies teeth cuz it may be a teeth coming out!  Nothing that we can do, just  hope for a fast coming out of the teeth!  Doctors don't agree with this myth but I do, based on my experience too! Hope your babies feel better!
This is EXACTLY what happens to my daughter. Have you found anything out?
Surgery found to cure mysterious, unexplained fevers:

http://www.childrenshospital.org/views/june08/surgery_found_to_cure_mysterious_unexplained_fevers.html
My  2 year old daughter is in the same situation where her CRP is extremely elevated around 168 during fever and goes back to normal after fever. Do you have any update regarding your son's treatment plan and what worked to over come recurring fever.

Thank You
My son has been having recurrent fever since he was 1 year. He is 17 months now. The last episode has been on for 2 weeks now. I have done all manner of work up and nothing seems to be the problem. I am a doc myself but I am confused and his elder brother has not had fever for more than a year. I am going nuts about it
Hello!  Well, where do I start.  My son is 13 years old and the first 12 years were exactly like the many stories I have read.  During his first year, he had 44 weeks of fevers.  He has had 6 surgeries for tubes and adenoids removed twice (yes, they grow back) because of the recurring sinus/ear infections.  After his 6 month vaccination, he had seizures for 2 months.  We saw 6 specialists on a regular basis at the local children's hospital for 12 years. At one point they diagnosed him with cystic fibrosis because of his recurring fevers, sinus infections and chronic pneumonia (he had 4 positive sweat tests).  He eventually developed arthritis and had extreme difficulty walking while at the same time dealing with the high fevers.  They also mentioned Mediterranean Fever to us but I didn't think it fit.  I could go on, but the end result was he was placed on oral steroids and within 9 months, we had a happy healthy kid.  It took another 6 months to wean him off the steroids but it was the BEST thing that ever happened to us.  This school year he has not missed 1 day of school.  ALWAYS insist on hydrocortisone (not prednisone).  Good Luck!!!!
How has it been going with this diet?
Is there any correlation with the child's mother having IBS and passing this on to newborn? my grandson has had stomach trouble from birth and now at 15 months high fevers and lots of ped doc's dismissal of over reactive mom. Does anyone take ill child to a holistic person who is heling with diet to combat allergies, fever, stomach trouble?
Hi - I realize your post was a very long time ago but I am worried about the exact same thing with my 14 month old daughter. If you even see this message - what ended up happening with your son?
My son is 22 months . When was born he was a premeie. He has be running a fever off and on that it. He has a healthy diet . He eats real foods since before he was one. I have no problem him trying new things. But doctors keep telling me visus too. I don't think that it is it. I can get his fever down quick by cold bath rag and fever reducer. Within 10 to 15 mins he  is back to his self. But later on it starts all over again. How can a baby can run a fever. I'm so worry about him.