Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
Red rash on 1 year old babies penis

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

Red rash on 1 year old babies penis

This afternoon when I changed my 1 year old's diaper I discovered that the tip of his penis is a bright red.  No raised bumps or anything, and when I touched it it didn't seem to hurt him at all.  No rash anywhere else, just there.  He is uncircumcised and we have not had a rash or problem there before.  He is teething, and I read somewhere that their urine can become quite acidic during this time making them more prone to diaper rash.  He is also recovering from a long drawn out tummy virus and is still having the odd episode of dhiarea.  He never ever sits in it though, we always change him as soon as we realize.  Could either of these be the cause? I treated it as diaper rash for now, and if it isn't gone tomorrow I will take him to the Dr.  Anybody seen this before?  When I changed his diaper earlier, there was no sign at all of anything like that, so it seems to have appeared rather suddenly.  Thanks so much for your help.  Oh, one other thing..he started daycare last week and on wed. came home with a bit of a cold..nothing serious, but also wondering if the rash could be related to that?  Thanks again.
It happens to my boys from time to time. It can be from slightly acidic urine as you suggested but also when young boys and baby boys get an erection it will stretch the foreskin slightly and it can get a little red looking and even a little sore. It is very common and is just the body's way of preparing the foreskin for when it begins to retract. A little diaper cream such as sudocrem or a little antiseptic cream usually takes the redness down in a day or so.
I would try diaper rash cream overnight.  Triple paste takes Anna's diaper rashes away overnight.
I never had that with either of my boys.  I'd be inclined to run it by your doctor even if you don't need to take him.  I'm sure it is probably just what you think but as I had a "lot"of things but never that . . . I'd run it by your doctor.  (mine takes calls about such questions.)
How is it looking today Amanda. Ryder isn't circumcised is he? It can be quite common for the end of the foreskin to be a little red on an uncircumcised baby boy because of the reason's I mentioned yesterday.
No, he is not circumcised.  It is still red, but truly does not seem to hurt him at all.  It is also now red on the testi sac, and he has a rash on his bottom too.  I am almost certain now it is diaper rash.  His eye teeth are coming in and he is so cranky, and we have not had too many incidents of diaper rash, but the one's we have had always seem to be around teething time.  I am going to give the Dr. a call tomorrow, but am continuing to treat it as diaper rash for now.  I am skipping the wipes and just using a warm washcloth at diaper changes and using diaper rash cream.  He had recovered from that tummy virus, and wed. night it basically started up again (sigh..I am just having terrible luck right now, under a dark cloud or something), so it could also be part of that as he is having diareah again too.  We just can't seem to win in our house right now.  Thanks for the info.  I am hoping it's gone in the morning.

It sounds like this is just diaper rash, but I just thought I would let you know that this happens to my son (who's 3) every now and again.  He's not circumcised either and it seems that, in his case, it's because he has phimosis (unusually tight foreskin).  The doc said it might rectify itself or, if not, he might need to be circumcised at some stage in the future.  Anyway, it might be worth checking with your doc.

My son started at a nursery last September and has been sick more often than not since.  It has been a tough few months, to say the least.  I hope your little guy is feeling better soon.  Hang in there!
Does sound like diaper rash. I remember when Sam had had norovirus, his diaper rash was terrible. Poor Rhyder!
My son is 5yrs old and he is (cut)and he has something I domMt know what to do. His penis is red and dry and it's been like this on and of for about 2 week I have put eveything I could think of except diper rash cream cus I don't have any his been potty traind since 2. Could what he has be a rash. Please help DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO ANYMORE.
So my little guy 6 months old is circumsized, and this morning about 11 or so I noticed he had an erection & later in that day the base if his head (not base of penis) was super bright red & I'm pretty sure it was caused from the earlier incident .. I dabbed a little destin on it to be safe but after I read your post it made complete sence. :)