Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
Single father needs advice

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

Single father needs advice

I'm a single dad of two boys, 6 and 4.  My fiance (not the boy's mom) and I recently found out that we were going to have a baby.  We told my sons 2 weeks ago that they were going to have a little brother or sister.  My 6 year old is extremely excited but my 4 year old......not so much.

He's alway been a little crazy but still well behaved.  Since we told him he's been really acting out.  He started throwing things, hitting, and essentially stopped listening to anyone.  He's very much a daddy's boy, any suggestions on how I can calm him down or make him feel better about the whole situation?  It's been hard enough raising two boys by myself, as I'm sure many of you understand, I really want my son to be excited about the new addition to our family.

Thanks!!!
My guess is he is feeling some jealousy at a new Baby coming along and has realised he wont be the Baby in the Family any more, give hima lot of reasurrance you will still love himas much as the Baby,he will get used to it, when baby is here give him plenty of attention and guy games get rid of the energy with outside sports and activitys sand still the one to one stuff with you.For the Misbehavior he still has to have bounderies and the old time out system has been shown to work, sit him dowm somewhere and tell him why and say 'stay there till you are quiet and sorry ', if he gets off the chair put him back with no words. This is all normal behavior he feels Usurped, it will get better, maybe Mom can ask him to help with the Baby, make him feel part of it all, and dont forget the eldest can feel the same and probably did when the 4 yr old was born so he also needs more attention and Games.
what helps teh most is that you let him help yous decide as a family what to buy the baby, how to do the room, tell him that you will still have love for him and have your girlfriend tell him that she also will still love him. just let him know that yous arent pushing him away and that he willl be a big brother just like his brother was to him. you still will have to have that one on one time with and at first it will be hard when the baby gets here to make that time but that is when the boys will need it the most not just the youngest but the oldest also. and if your having a baby shower for the new baby thhen you and your girlfriend should slip a little gift in for the boys so they dont feel left out. good luck and congradulations