Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
Social interraction problems

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

Social interraction problems

I have twin four year old boys and have just come back from a parents’ meeting with their nursery teacher. She told me that one of my twins likes to play on his own quite a bit. He becomes very obsessed with whatever task he is doing and gets annoyed and on occasion has been aggressive to other children when they try to interrupt him. She told me that he seems to be very into science and wants to know how everything works. She told me that she lets him play on his own for periods of time, but then makes him interact with other children.

I have noticed that he is the grumpier of the boys, his twin brother is much more easier going but at the same time he can be very loving. He will share his toys and sweets and only a couple of days ago gave a toy away to a friend’s child, because he wanted him to have it.

After what the teacher said, I am concerned about Asperger’s syndrome, hopefully I am overreacting, although she did state that she would inform his teacher next year to keep an eye for him.

He is not as good at interacting as his brother, although he does role play with his brother and often pretends to be different animals. Is it normal at this age to want to play alone?

Thank you for your help
Kind Regards
Maureen