Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
Son showing his private parts

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

Son showing his private parts

I was called into my sons school today, (he is 5) to be told by his teacher, that when he was going to the toilet the other day he came out with his pants down and showed a girl in his class his bum and willy!! He didn't say anything to her, showed her his 'bits' then when back into the toilet. The girl went home and told her mother, who then came into school and complained to the teacher. When I asked him why he did it, he got very upset saying that he didn't know. I really came down on him, gave him a big telling off, that it is rude etc etc. I am also really embarrased and don't know whether to apologise to the girls mother.
Am I over exaggerating, have I got reason to be this upset or is this boys being boys at such a young age. any opinions would be appreciated.. Thanks.
I really don't see this as a huge big deal.  Maybe he just forgot to pull his pants up?  I mean, he is only 5.  I guess it depends in the context in which it was done.  Did he come out, focus on this girl and intentionally do this, or did he just sort of wander out pants down, realize it, and go back in to the bathroom?

I don't think I would get overly upset, nor give him a hard time.  Instead, use this as an opportunity to teach him (calmly and matter of factly) that private parts need to be kept private.  You could even say something like "parts normally covered by our underwear are not to show other people".

If he was doing this frequently, or even once in a while, I might worry more.  But a one time thing?  I would keep it calm, chat about it and let it go.  And remember - if a child that age senses your angry, your not going to get any information out of them.