Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
Son touches penis constantly

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

Son touches penis constantly

My 4 1/2 year old touches his penis whenever he is idle, tired or sulking. It is more overt than other little boys and he seems unable to stop. He can't go to sleep without a hand down his pants. He is starting school next year and  I really need help getting him to stop before then. Any advice?
My son is 4 and does the same thing, when he is doing while awake just say Mommy doesnt need to see that we do that in private. I did this with my son and he hardly ever does it in front of me any more he will go to the bathroom and say he has to pee and shut the door. He is just curious. I dont think he will grow out of it my ex would watch tv with his hand in his pants.
my aunt had the same problem with her son, she just told him that is something he does in private. I agree he's probably just curious.
Boys are very curious at this age. It seems like your son is just exploring his body. He is only doing this so much because it's a good feeling for him. You can simply tell your son that he can only do this in his room by himself. As well explain in a way that it is a private thing to do and nobody needs to see it.
Although few will admit it, this is 100% normal… as in you can find this in a psych text book… it not sexual, but out of curiosity. It has nothing to do with morals… I would suggest responding in a way that does not make him feel like sex or private parts are wrong or bad…(as that would not be a good foundation)
This will end on its own,.. you cant stop it… it 100% OK and normal and common.