Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
Starting to get answers to the blue lips
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Starting to get answers to the blue lips

Hi All:

I've been reading these posts for about 2 days now after my 8 month old had mildly blue lips periodically over the last 4 days.  I wanted to be safe rather than sorry and made a Dr.'s appt for today.  From what I can tell there can be several different reasons for the blue lips (sleep apnea was mentioned in one post) but our Pediatrician today has scheduled our daugther for an EKG and 2 other tests due to a suspected heart murmur.  After reading about the murmur's not all are serious and it's actually very common.  However, the blue lips are listed as a one of the symptoms of a potentially more serious heart problem.  Although I will wait until we get the results of the tests, I wanted to post this immediately for all those questioning whether they should call their Dr.  

As it turns out my husband was born with a murmur which was never tested and later went away, but on the other hand, my grandmother had a heart defect from birth so both possibilities run in our family.  I will be sure to keep everyone updated as we find out the results but stress how important it is to contact your pediatricians to be on the safe side.