Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
Stealing?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

Stealing?

My child is 4 and a half years old. He has a problem. He constantly goes into the kitchen in the morning and steals chocolate, sweets, and pretty much any food early in the morning (around 6am). When we locked the kitchen, he started coming into the living room and stole things from there (pens, gameboys, cds, very sentimental photos which were nearly ruined because he isn't careful and so on).
I am really at a loose end now. My girlfriend too (Hs mother, by the way). I don't WANT to have to lock all the doors at night, I shouldn't need too. I told him this morning that I was going to call the police because he had stolen again and he just threw a tantrum. The only thing I can think of to do now is to lock HIS room at night so that he can't have free reign of the flat in the early mornings.
Please help. It is getting to the point where home life is even more stressful than when I am at work.
I'd be going to a doctor and asking to see a psychologist. It sounds that he might have an autistic syndrome. His behaviour is almost identical to my sister's little boy (whom I wanted to strangle in one instance! LOL!)

Don't lock his room, he will see that as a punishment rather than an aid to help him. Also if there is a fire, or he hurts himself, you would be severely reprimanded.

I lived with my child who was a wanderer and did lots of mischief in the early A.M as well, it was stressful, but he was eventually diagnosed with a similar autistic spectrum disorder as my sister's boy.

Getting help now will save you hours of restless sleep!
Until you're able to see a doctor re: autism, perhaps you could put a baby monitor in his room (obviously out of his reach) so that you may be able to hear when he wakes up.
This way, you may be able to stop him doing these things until you have a 'plan' so to speak with a doctor.

Good luck xx
What makes you two think that it is a form of autism, out of interest? Seems quite random to kind of jump straight to that. haha. Any more information you can give me to show me why you think that it is so?
We've decided not to lock his room for exactly that reason, it wouldn't help at all. We did, however, pretend to 'call the police' because he (like any other child, I guess) thinks they are cool. When we 'called' them, he started crying (naturally) and then the 'police' told us to tell him that they have written his name down and if he does it again he will get even more trouble. That seemed to stop it for now. We also told him that if he IS hungry and he sees that it is light outside (usually around 7am - 8am ish) then he is allowed to take an apple or make some toast and we explained that chocolate will not fill him up and is a very unhealthy breakfast and should only be eaten as a dessert or treat.
A baby monitor isn't really needed/there is no place to put it where he can't get it.

But yeah, that's how that is going right now. I just want to know now what makes you think it is Autism :)
Clever way to deal with it MrPink. if he slips up and does it again I'd go so far as to ask a friendly officer to pop round, unofficially of course.  I'd just like to say I do not think it is autism. He has responded to a threat the way most children would. If it was something he couldn't help then the threat would have made no difference whatsoever.
I'm going to be controversial here.....Autism and being on the autistic spectrum are too easy to blame these days, like ADD and ADHD in the 80's and 90's. Having worked in a mainstream school with 17 children on the autistic spectrum I can say with 100% conviction that the majority did not have it. Acted up for mum and family but never for me or the other staff. The threat of being sent to see the head teacher worked the same on them as it did on the other children. There were only 2 children in that school that I would have agreed were on the autistic spectrum  the rest just knew how to push their limits and being given a label suddenly had the green light to go ahead, but because privileges were withdrawn no matter who the child (or what their condition) they all toed the line except for the 2 mentioned and a lad with downs syndrome.

I'm not saying I don't believe it exists because i do and i even think its quite possibly linked to vaccinations but I also think Dr's, health workers etc are sometimes labelling a kid because its easier than digging to find the cause of a problem.
Ah thanks for clearing it up a bit :).

Yeah, my kid went to the doctor today (going to a new kindergarten, they want to know that he is officially healthy haha, and he has a slight cold.) The doctor said pretty much the same thing as you. However, it was more about Therapy than diagnoses of ADD, ADHD and Autism. She said that a good lump of kindergarten teachers and teachers in general would rather stick a child into therapy or something like that for minor behaviour problems, than have to deal with the problem themselves.

It was something like that, that she said. I wasn't at the appointment so I can only go on what my girlfriend told me and what I remember haha. But it is quite shocking, none the less.
I didn't state that your child DOES have autism, I simply said that if you had concerns about not hearing him and had the intention of seeing a doctor in regards to autism (as redheadaussie suggested) that a baby monitor may come in handy.

Although, it IS common for children with Autism and Aspergers Syndrome to display behaviours such as lying and stealing.
Although, all children misbehave and do silly things at times.

I hope you sort things out soon.