Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
Temper Tantrum in a 3 year old
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Temper Tantrum in a 3 year old

I have a 3 year old  step son who likes to have a temper tantrum when he is not getting his way. He pushes, hits screams and yells leave me alone and throws whatever he can get his hands on. I typically let him cry it out (I stay in the room to make sure he can't hurt himself) and in about 20 minutes when he realizes that I am not going to give into his demands he stops and calms down. I then go pick him up and explain to him that we do not act like this and tell him that I love him. He then goes on his merry way like the incident never happened. Now when his dad gets involved with one of his tantrums it is a completely different story. He will continue his tirade for hours and even into the night. His father will hold him and placate him giving him whatever he wants instead of trying to get him to calm down and stop his behaviour. I think this is rewarding bad behavior. I have a five year old boy from a previous marriage who has gone through the tantrum stage and I think I am doing the right thing by teaching my step-son that his acting out (tantrums) is unacceptable behaviour. Am I wrong for trying to correct this?