Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
Tired! 2 year old doesnt sleep all night!!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

I have a question about my 2 year old daughter. plain and simple she isn't sleeping through the night. My wife and i are extremely exhausted and very grumpy! Our 6 year old was up a lot in the night but only because she had chronic ear infections, nothing like this.

Our two year old mostly wakes up every night but for example last night she went to bed at 8 pm and by 1 am she woke up whining. Never really screaming or crying just a whining.

She did that till 4 am and then was ready to get up at 6 am. So she basically only got 5 hours of sleep. Of course today she is tired and clings to the both of us. Here's somewhat of her daily routine.

-7am wakes up
-around 7:30 eats breakfast while watching tv
-8-11am snacks throughout the day (grazer) with tv or play
-12pm lunch
-1 pm nap till 2 or 2:30pm
-2:30-5pm snack with tv or play time
-5pm supper
-6pm snack before bed
-6:30 bath
-around 6:50 pjs,moisturize body
-7pm in bed, rub back, talk to her
-7:30pm sleeping in bed

Thats generally what her day is like. Give or take a little. She does eat a lot but would rather graze all day then just eat big meals. We find she sleeps better at nap time but go figure when you're up all night, by nap time she's tired!!

We don't know what to do? could it be night terrors? could it be teething?(i have noticed where the molars come in, it seems swollen, but we've given her tylenol before bed) is she sleeping to long during naps?

Any advice would really be appreciated!

I didnt see any mention of Playtime or walks , weather permitting, what games and fun does she have ?
My 13 month old has not been a great sleeper since day 1.  He didn't sleep through the night until 8 months, and since then has gone through spells where he is up at night several times as well.  In fact, he is going through that right now.  I spoke to his Pediatrician as I too was concerned he wasn't/isn't getting enough sleep.  She told me that some kids just have a tougher time self soothing then others.  On a happy note, she also told me that often children who don't sleep well have a higher level of intelligence...lol, I am clinging to that.  There is no doubt that teething or illness impacts it.  Right now my son is at the tail end (we hope!) of a lengthy virus and is also working on his eye teeth. So I know that is a big part of it.  In your daughters case it may be molars, or she just may be one of those kids.  My pediatrician tells me that they do outgrow it eventually.  I would take her for a check up..just make sure there is nothing hurting her or making her feel ill.  If all is well there, I find that sometimes my son just wants company and although I am not big on co sleeping (I am always afraid of rolling on him or something) it does help sometimes.  They just want mommy and daddy.

Also, what the above poster said has merit as well.  Lots of fresh air and playtime definately help.  Where I live it is extremely cold in winter, often too cold for us to play outside.  I really notice a difference when he gets lots of outdoor playtime vs. days he doesn't.  If the weather isn't conducive to outdoor activity we have lots of running around/playtime indoors, but it's still not quite as good.

Good luck to you, I well know that feeling of exhaustion.  Try reading the book Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child.  It really helped me a great deal.  Also, the book Happiest Toddler on the Block was a good one.  
My son does the same thing. I stopped his naps that helped some.
I agree with 91004, stop the naps. Our daughter will be up all night when she gets a nap. Also are you forcing her to sleep by herself? Most kids don't like to do that. Perhaps if you don't want to sleep next to her, her older sister can? At some point you eventually have to choose between fighting with her over sleep every night or getting the sleep you need. It's a battle I doubt you will win without compromise. Good luck!
i would try to hold her away fom as many snacks meaning sweets treats ,, during the day and from telly  ,, pick someting she likes and tell her ye will both do it together as a treat  ,, those she like playing outdoors etc ,, nature trails  ,, etc ,, parks  ,, ,, keep her from having at least one of her nap times she clearly those,nt need it ,,, and the snack before bed time ,, ,, how those she like where shes sleeping ,, ,can she pick her own duvets sets , colour of wall etc within reason ,, have you asked her about her room etc ,, you may surprised with what she tells you ,, and how easy it may be just by changing different habbits  ,, every home is our palace ,, with our own princess etc ,, time to play etc ,,
What do you do when she wakes at 1 AM? Do you go in her room? I wouldn't personally cut out naps, because she isn't getting enough sleep. I wouldn't go in her room if she is NOT crying hysterically. Iwould let her sooth herself and go back to sleep.. I guess I don't have enough information to give proper advice. I really need to know what you and your wife do when she awakes in the middle of the night. It definitely is NOT night terrors.. If it were, she's be hysterical and unconsoleable as well as disoriented. Not just whiney.
Hey everyone thanks for responding. I am a little behind on checking my answers been busy sorry about that!...... Just to update everyone..... First off she is outside all the time. she loves it! but we live in northern canada so its hard to get out when its blowing snow and -20 outside. It is getting nice outside so we are getting her out, it seems to help a bit!.. I am a stay at home dad and shes up at 6:30ish, 7 am and by 1pm i am ready for her to have a small nap, even though she could probably do without..

Also we have noticed that she has three molars coming in. I am pretty sure those are the most painful teeth to get in?

But now theres a new problem.. It all started a few days ago. It was 1pm and she was going down for her nap, i thought it was the perfect time for a shower and my wife was home and she happened to be talking on the phone.. About 5 mins later she woke up with this terrible scream!!. I thought she fell out of her crib. But of course i was in the shower so it was hard for me to get out and see what the problem was. My wife was the one that who got her.. We asked what was wrong and she said airplane! airplane!.. At that time there was an helicopter flying over top of our house( we live like 30mins from the airport, so theres always planes flying over).... The noise wasn't all that bad, but i guess it was to her, enough so that she wont even go into her bed at all!!.....Ever since then anytime she goes near her room or bed she screams and shakes and says "N0!, NO!"... When putting into bed at 7pm, we do her regular routine but now insted of it taking 20-30mins to get her to sleep it takes almost 2hours due to her screaming and not wanting to go to bed!!... On top of that she wakes up at 3 or 4am and wants out of her crib. We go back in there and tell her to lay down and go back to sleep, then rub her back.. We hardly ever take out of bed or turn on the light!. What do we do now? everybody is extremely exausted and grumpy. I mean thats the way life goes with kids but if she cant even go into bed and get a proper sleep, i would assume that will open the door for more problems?
have you tried telling her stories of areoplanes with a nice ending ,, even have a model of one and imagation play ,, or try taken her out side and let her see the aeroplane ,, going over the house or too an air field  ,, any thing to ensure her she , s ok   ,,
Weve taken her outside and doesnt seem to bother her. its at bedtime is what the problem. I guess because while laying in her bed is when this all happened..

We dont really have a model airplane, we just have 2 girls. but that is an idea
maybe cut out her drinks before or an hour or two before bed time  ,,what is her recation when this happens or yers ,, ?
sorry ,mixed it up with an other and then had a rethink ,,,   but her and your reaction is one to notice  ,, or has she a favourite teddy etc  who can watchh over her as she slleps  
We cut out naps and she is sleeping alot better. Still wakes up at 2 or 3am mostly everynight but still i can handle that over not wanting to go to bed and up all night.. never thought cutting out naps would work? cross your fingers it does