Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
Toddler Night Terror HELP?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

Toddler Night Terror HELP?

My 2 and 1/2 yr old boy is seemingly having night terrors (my diagnosis only). He sometimes screams at me like he is afraid of me, then maybe twenty minutes later is totally normal towards me.  He'll often ask for Daddy who seems able to console him (sometimes) but then he refuses to go back to bed, just wants to be with Daddy. If I deal with it and he stops screaming he generally goes back to sleep quite easily. It is so distressing. At other more severe times he will lay in bed screaming, sometimes into the pillow, will not talk to us, I cannot communicate with him, sometimes he is walking around but to me really does seem awake. Sometimes he seems to be able to communicate and others not. Perhaps this indicates severity of the episode? I really am worried lately, last night's episode wasn't so bad screaming wise but he didn't go back to sleep for nearly 5 hours. Perhaps he is afraid of sleep? Who knows, he can't tell me. He is too young to discuss it all with so I can't really ask him.
I am also wondering if "Night Terrors" is just a very broad term for something that is not easily diagnosed - i.e. it could be a whole manner of things, or have a whole range of causes but all lumped under one title...seems that way to me. If you find anything out please post it here as I am very intrigued. And also paranoid and starting to read all sorts of things about hypoglycemia and diabetes and metabolic disorders...
I hope this is just a passing phase.
They do say to try and make sure their situation is as routine as possible, create a comforting environment where they sleep, no noise, soft lighting, read soothing stories and sing gently to them before bed. Perhaps stagger bed time if they share a room and give them lots of love and attention. Also if it is reallly frequent you can wake them prior to the terror time and comfort them and tuck them in so that it disrupts their sleep but in a nice way rather than their terrifying way. Stress is a common factor...keep their lives happy and stress free. I think our boy is a very emotional soul and gets distraught over the smallest things. Perhaps this explains the terrors?
Please, anyone reading this with similar problems, post your experiences and lets all help eachother.
Have you read up on the reasons behind sleepwalking?  It might be helpful.