Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
Toddler says something disturbing

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

Toddler says something disturbing

My toddler has been obsessed with body parts and masturbation, which I know can be quite normal.   However, because of this, I decided to start teaching him the words "my body" and talking about who is okay to touch him and what he should say if he doesn't want someone to touch him.    When I told him that his penis was part of his body, and we started talking about people who can touch his penis, he told me, "Sex."   My heart went into my throat as he is just barely talking and I couldn't believe he was telling me this word.   I asked him what he said again, to be sure, and he told me, "Sex."   And even third time, he told me, "Sex."  After the third time, I was positive he knew the word, so I said, "Are you saying sex?"  He nodded yes.  "Where did you learn that?"  He didn't answer.   I said, "Do you know what sex is?"  And then he made a kissing his hand twice very noisily ("muah, muah") and then said, "Ow."

Can someone please tell me if this is as concerning as it feels?   I am panicked.

Frankly, it sounds as concerning as it feels, to me also.  Who is around the child without supervision?
Only family and trusted friends, but statistically this can be most concerning group of people.   I suppose they could also be exposing him to other individuals without telling me.  
I think in your shoes, I would not let the child be with anyone without you being there unless more than one person is there, who would not collude, and in the meantime I would talk to a children's therapist about how to ask your son to tell you what happened.  
Thanks, Annie.  
Oh my. To me, that raises a lot of red flags. I would consider getting him a physical, just to double check that everything is ok, and I would ask for a referral to a therapist. This is a word that he may have picked up from a tv show or even a commercial. He may have overheard an explicit conversation, or it may be something more sinister. I will keep him and you in my thoughts today. I know this can be very stressful to a mom.