Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
Toddler's toenail coming off???

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

Toddler's toenail coming off???

I was TRYING to cut Levi's toenails yesterday, as they are so long that his feet look like they belong to Shrek. I've been calling him my little Ogre quite a bit lately.

Anyway, as I was looking at his big toenail, I noticed it looked like there was some skin that I could probably flake off around the part where it grows out of the toe...like "extra" skin perhaps that hadn't really hardened into toenail.

Well, as I went in for a closer look I noticed that the actual toenail seems to be separating from the toe. Just a thin little area where it's not growing directly from the toe. I can pull slightly and see the tiny gap all the way across the toe. There's no blood, nothing gross...it's just separated. Has ANYONE ever seen something like this? It almost looks like the other toe is doing the same thing, but not as bad. I'm really worried. His diet isn't the best, but he has texture issues. He takes a vitamin to help the fact he isn't eating as properly as he should be. His next dr's appt is Oct 15th, I think. Should I make a special visit, or just hold off until we see them on our regular visit? Not sure what to think...

.
is it red or inflamed?
Geez Hope2...what are you doing to that poor boy now? :)

Does he react when you touch it? Have they been really long for a while? Do you think that they could be pulling back from being in shoes that are too small with the long toe nails?

I would just call the pediatrician and tell them the situation. Maybe they'll have you come in before the 15th, but maybe not because he doesn't seem to be in any pain. I wonder if it's related to the eating thing? You said that you give him vitamins...he should be OK in that department.

Poor little Levi :( I hope his tootsies are OK! Keep me updated!
They're not red or inflamed, and I have been able to clip those two nails more than the other ones if my dh holds him still. But he won't sit still long enough for me to really get the smaller ones. I'm too scared I'll nip his toes!
He hates for his feet to be touched.

His shoes have plenty of room at the toes (although we are ready for a new pair, b/c he needs something other than sandals. They're Stride Rite, and seem to be well made/comfortable).
The part of the nail that is coming apart is the area where it actually grows from the toe, not the tip of the toe.
I guess I'll try to call his doctor tomorrow and talk to a nurse. But you KNOW they're going to have me come in, because times are hard and I'm sure they could use a new Lexus SUV or a vacation to Greece or something. And my coming in would help them accomplish those goals! LOL

Oh well, thanks for the input!
but it's not a cuticle?

see if you can find images of ingrown toenails on dogpile or google? You are describing it very well- I just can't get an image in my head......
Hmmm..I'll have to look tomorrow and see if I can find a picture. It is actually where the cuticle and toe meet where there is a gap...BEHIND where the cuticle area should be. It IS kinda hard to explain. If I thought he'd sit still long enough I'd just take a picture of HIS foot! :-)

Thanks for trying to help...I'm off to bed right now, so I'll dig around and see if I can find a picture tomorrow.