Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
Tonsil/Adnoid Removal at 2 Years Old?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

Tonsil/Adnoid Removal at 2 Years Old?

Here's some background...

From birth, my son has had problems sleeping, and will on occasion, stop breathing in his sleep. He's always had a little bit of a wheeze in his chest, and breathes rather loudly.  About three months ago, he was finally diagnosed with enlarged tonsils.  Three weeks ago, we met with an ENT, who suggested removal of both the tonsils and adnoids ten days after my son's 2nd birthday.

I have tried to research this on my own and can't seem to find anything about these surgeries being done on two-year-olds. I was just wondering if anyone here has any information, including what I should expect and tips on making this as easy as possible.  To say that I am worried is a complete understatement, and I would greatly appreciate any advice or words of encouragement.
Here's a link where someone posted a similar question. The people who responded have children of different ages (including one whose son was 2 when he had it done). Hope this helps.

http://www.minti.com/questions-and-answers/discussion/736154/pain-after-tonsillectomy/
My son was 3 1/2 - and we had waited too long at that point,  really.  I wish we had done it earlier.  

The key here,  is French Toast.  Lots and lots of soggy french toast.  

Best wishes!
yes...my daughter has the same problem but wen i took her to ent they said bc of her age and weight no one in NW Indiana would do this surgery...but then i asked another ENT and he said he would do it...im waiting on the call for appt...my other daughter hasd hers removed last yr and has not had any problems w throat or even getting sick...i want them out of her NOW...i was only 2 when they took mine...but after the removal best thing her them to eat is...ice cream, jello and anything COLD
My 2 and a half year old son has the same problem. The ENT said the best thing is to remove the tonsils. I am up for that, if it will make him better. The thing that worries me most is him going under general anaesthetic at this age. Any comments?