Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
Troubles Potty Training

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

Troubles Potty Training

My daughter will be 3 in Feb. last year just before. She turned 2 she was using the potty almost every time for a week. Went to her dads for a day cane back and didn't even want to go into the bathroom! That lasted a month. Then she'd go into the bathroom but had nothing to do with the toilet.. Figure was normal. For only being 2. We moved in July and she started using the potty by herself.. Since then i have had her pretty much potty trained with her wanting to til went to her dads for the day again.. Now it's when she wants to.. If she is naked or in underwear but not with pants in she'll use the potty but if she has pants on over her underwear she goes in her underwear/pants.. Diapers too.. She tells me when she's trying to poop. And then tells me to change her. Won't sit in a poopy diaper and doesn't like it.. I have tried everything when she uses the potty!! Stickers, candy, fake, tattoos, high fives, calling gramma to tell her,   jumping up and down everything.. She's has her own potty and uses it once in a whole but it gets used as a stool more than potty..
And advice???
I would completely back off of the issue for a while.  Put her in pull ups, and let her decide when she wants to use the potty.  Being potty trained at 2 is awfully young, and you hear story after story of them regressing later on.  3 is not old to not be potty trained.  My son will be 3 next week and really still has very little interest.  It can turn into a power struggle, and that will only make things worse.  Toddlers have so little control of anything in their lives, and this is one area they are fully in control.  Don't say a word about it and I have no doubt she'll come around soon.
I had my boyfriends daughter potty trained by 3. So I disagree it is not to young. Depends on the child. However she has lots of interest just won't do it. I have backed off and pull ups do nothing but act like a diaper to her. She has been in just underwear all morning and has no problem..
I didn't say it was too young, just younger then the average. You are correct, every child is different.  However, it is very common for kids that were trained earlier then average to regress later on.  Doesn't mean anything is wrong, it's just a common occurance.  Also, kids that age are big into control.  My son is exactly the same age, and he likes to control what he can.  Very normal behavior.  So sometimes they will refuse just because it's one of the things they can control.  Sometimes just ignoring the situation changes things, and they begin to feel like using the potty is there idea rather then moms. However, you certainly know your child better then anyone does, and that is great that she hasn't had any issues this morning.  Perhaps the issue has resolved itself.
What's going on at her dads that puts her off and makes her take backward steps? He needs to be doing the same things you are to keep up with the message. If he's putting her in nappies for example and telling her not to use the toilet then its could explain alot.

My daughter was a month shy of 3 before we gave up with pull ups and went with the accident approach. She was starting to use pull ups like nappies. She had one day of 5 accidents and has been dry ever since. She just realised she wasn't going to get away with it anymore.

Good luck x