Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
What possible medical conditions can be associated with a 20 month old ...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

What possible medical conditions can be associated with a 20 month old not walking or standing unassisted

I have a 20 month old son. He is very smart, funny and lovable. He has been standing up to and walking around furniture for almost 10 months old now. For some reason he still can not stand up unassisted and he can't walk without holding onto something. When he does walk holding your hands or something else it is like his body goes before his legs. He seems to almost drag his legs a little and his right one seems to turn slightly sideways. I have taken him to so many doctors but no one will even assess him at all. I can't get any answers out of anyone other than "he will walk when he is ready" but aren't there people in the world who never walk?? I hope to God they are right and he will walk when he is ready, but my issue is, what if there is something wrong with him, the longer we put off diagnosing him the harder it will be for him to learn how to walk. He doesn't have low muscle tone, so what else can it be?
You don't say where you live,  but I'm guessing it's not in the US.  Here,  you can just call an Occupational Therapist,  and make an appointment for an assessment.  Many babies don't walk on time - sometimes they have low muscle tone (as you mentioned,  he doesn't have),  sometimes they have balance issues,  Cerebral Palsy,  some kids are just too timid to let go.  

It doesn't sound like he's using the furniture for balance - he's actually holding himself up with his arms because his legs aren't strong enough?
I think it is either a coordination issue or a joint issue. because he barely holds on, sometimes just the tip of his fingers and he can stand up all day long like that, i have often used just one of my fingers to help him walk so he has plenty of strength but it seems like he cant move his legs in the proper direction, especially his right leg it turns almost sideways
My son is the same age as yours, and I am a first time mom.  If there is one thing I have learned it is that my instincts are generally correct.  We know our children better then anyone, Dr.'s included. I have also learned to be somewhat aggressive in pursuing an issue if I think something is wrong.  Don't let them just pat you on the head and send you away as if you are neurotic.  I did that so many times, and now, I stand up and let them know that I believe something is not right, and wish to get help for him.  It's not typically my nature to be aggressive, so it wasn't easy. But if you believe something is off, keep pushing the issue.  Are you able to make an appointment directly with a specialist where you are?  I wish you well, I know firsthand how frustrating it is when Dr.;s do not take mommy instinct seriously.  
thanks....no unfortunatly we aren't. We live in newfoundland and labrador canada, you have to be referred to a specialist by either the public health nurse or your family doctor. last night i finally got a call about my referal, we will see someone on october 5th but it is not a specialist it is someone who will come to our home assess him and then decide if he needs to see a specialist or not. I am a member of babycenter.com the february 2010 birth group. i did a pole on every birth group from february 2010 to october 2010 and out of 100 responses he was the only child who couldn't stand unassisted and there were 2 others who couldn't walk unassisted but the are 6 months younger than him
My son is 16 months old and does not walk yet. He does have hypotonia (low muscle tone) and that played a big role in him being delayed with his motor skills. He is now crawling and standing up against furniture on his own. Was your child fully evaluated for hypotonia? Here his pediatrician had not seen any problems with him, it's his neurologist that made the diagnostic of hypotonia, she carefully examined him on a table, moving his arms and legs, sitting him up...

His other problem is his ears! He had numerous ear infections last winter (> 10), he had tubes inserted in his ears that did not help much. Now his tubes get regularly clogged and that very certainly plays a bad role on his sense of equilibrium. Go see an ear doctor as well!
I'm also a Canuck, currently living in Calgary, formerly of Toronto & Vancouver.  Another route you can go is the Public Health Nurse.  She can do a quick assessment when doing his vaccines/well baby check.  If you are able, try to get a referral to a Pediatrician vs. family Dr.  We have one and I find she is far more knowledgable when it comes to small children.

Also, if family Dr./clinic is your only option, quite seriously demand a referral to have this checked out.  Once your in, your in.  But do not let them put you off.  
One quick note: my son's therapist saw him today. She thinks he has an imbalance problem, she says these problems are hard to diagnose. She suggested we try fitting him with a vest with weights to ground him better. She will bring the vest at her next visit in a couple weeks - I'll keep you updated but you may want to look into that on your own as well! The vest is a type of swim vest with weights all around - not sure how heavy it is though.

If you can, try to get physical therapy for your son. That's the best, my son has it 2-3 times a month.
Thanks you have all been so helpful. It is nice to be able to talk to people about this without the usual dismissal of ......"oh he will walk when he is ready"
big news ladies......last night he stood himself up for close to a minute!!!!
I know this post was written 18 months ago.... But I just came across it today in a google search. I also live in nl!! Thought maybe if i posted a comment you might still get some sort of notification. i have an 18month old who also can't stand unassisted and same thing with walking. He walks holding onto 1 finger, cruises perfectly and stands up like u said barrrrely holding on. But will NOT do it on his own. He has been doing this too for probably 8 months. I'm starting to get worried. Just wondering since you're also in nl... Did u end up getting a referral? To who? Did u find someone helpful? I can't even get an appt. with my family dr. For another month! He's got his appt for vaccines with public health in 2 weeks.... We're they helpful at all? And what happened in the end? Did he just eventually walk or was there an issue?

Thanks for any advice!