Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
Wheezing toddler - what to do?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

Wheezing toddler - what to do?

My 20 month old son caught a cold from who knows where. His runny nose turned to coughing and has turned to wheezing today.  We have a humidifier going in his room but what else can we do to help out?  When he was eating dinner he was stopping to cough and his little face was turning red b/c he was coughing so hard.  How do we know when he has RSV?  I just put him to bed for the night and his respiration rate is about 54 breaths per minute.  It seemed his breathing was quicker than I thought it should have been.  His mood/tempermant were fine when he was awake.

This is my first child and I don't want to overreact but don't want to underreact either...  Any thoughts/comments would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance-
Tags: wheezing
I am hoping by now you have taken him to see a Doctor as it seemed form your post that would be the best way to go, it could have been a chest infection maybe he is now on anti biotics it is never overreacting to want to know when a child is sick what is wrong with them ,. good Luck
Thanks- I was freaking out most of the night but we never even heard him cough or make a peep over night - slept like a log and kicked the bug/cold he was fighting.  We had the humidifier cranked up and all is well!
Sometimes people jump too quickly from your child having a common cold/flu to them having a sinus infection. You'll come to learn what is normal for your child. Both of my kids are currently sick and getting over it. I think my daughters got sick when we took them to mcdonalds to play because thats really the only place we went that they could of gotten sick from. My stepmother took them about 2 days later and they ended up getting runny noses while they were there for a few days. She seemed urgent in me getting them to a DR to be seen because she was afraid they had a sinus infection. I mean all the DR would do is send me away and tell me to come back when they've been sick for longer than 10 days. When she had my one daughter for a couple days about 2 years ago she wanted us to take my daughter to the ER for her fever. We got to her house and she had my daughter all bundled up and sweating in a couple blankets. Needless to say we got her home and her fever went away. Anyway, like I was saying, putting your child on antibiotics will not help a cold/flu because they are viral. Antibiotics only help bacterial infections. Colds usually go away in 7 - 10 days. If your child is still mucusy and sick longer than that then it is possible it's an infection.
I know you said your son is doing better but I thought I would just let you in on what I've learned. I always feel bad when one the girls gets a bad cough when their sick, it ***** when you do all you can and still feel helpless.
Thanks for your post!  Part of me wanted to call the dr but I knew there wasn't anything they'd really be able to do...  My son has been going back and forth now for a few days with runny nose/cough. It hasn't been as bad as it was that caused me to post the question about the wheezing.  He's not due for a well check for 4 months so we'll see how long this cough persists to decide if we need to take him in to talk about asthma or what...! We take him to the kids club pretty regularly at the gym so he's exposed to germs all the time!