When should I talk to my son about his biological father?
My son is 4 1/2 and starting to really remember details of his days. I am wondering if now is a good time to talk to him about his biological father or if I should wait a few more years. He has known the same person to be his dad since he was 8 months old. This man is now my husband and we have another child that just turned 1 year old. He is a wonderful father and my 4 1/2 is very happy. I just want to be honest with him and certainly tell him before he feels betrayed that we didn't tell him sooner. His biological father doesn't know he exists because I lost touch with him before I even knew I was pregnant. He also carried a dangerous and reckless background so I didn't feel compelled to find him at the time. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Personally, from personal experience as i was 3 when my father left, if you think he is old enough to understand and grasp the concept of telling him then i would,  i wouldnt wait until he is much more then 6 or else he may feel that you held back from he, my mother told me when i was five, and i remember being able to understand why she did what she did and why my biological father wasnt a part of my life. Subjects like this when trying to explain to a little one are always difficult, my husband and I are going to have to do the same thing with my step son when he is older, he's only ever known me as his mother as his left when he was 6 months old. I really wish you the best of luck, remember, if he gets upset, he will understand when he is older. With kids it could go either way. they could completely understand or they could freak out. every child is different.
Hi, I would give him another year or so. 4.5 is still very young to understand a situation like that. By the time he is 5 or 6 he will understand better. If u tell him right now it really wouldn't make a difference.