Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
Whole milk vs. 1% vs 2% vs 0%

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

Whole milk vs. 1% vs 2% vs 0%

OK, at my dd's 2 year appointment our ped told me to transition her to 1% or non-fat milk if she would take it since less fat is better.  I transition my girl to 1%.  Now I am asking around and basically nobody around me transitioned their toddler to 1% or non-fat milk.  Everyone gives me a different reason: whole milk has more vitamin D, low fat milk has more sugar / carbs, my baby is too small, etc.  My dd is around 30th percentile for her weight so now I start doubting my decision.
What did you do?  Can you comment on your decision?
Thanks!!!  
44%
 (4) 
My toddler is over 2 yo and drinks whole milk still
55%
 (5) 
My toddler is over 2 yo and drinks 2% milk
0%
 (0) 
My toddler is over 2 yo and drinks 1% milk
0%
 (0) 
My toddler is over 2 yo and drinks non-fat milk
9 Members voted
DD has yet to have her 2yr well visit yet, not until March.  I plan on asking pedi what % to give her.  Since she couldn't have milk b/c she couldn't digest the proteins until now, I put heron 2% since it matched most closely to her Silk soy milk. However, she doesn't care for cow's milk unless it is chocolate milk. I give her low-fat chocolate milk but now give her Yo baby yogurt which is full fat milk. She still drinks 16oz soy milk just about every day.

I will probably stay my course in this regard even if pedi says I can drop her down.
My pediatrician said 2% milk for 2 year old, but it all depends on the child and their fat intake from food.. What percentile weight is she? Fionn is 47% on 2% milk. his friend is 76% and on 1% milk, another one is 23% and on whole milk. I think that is the best way to determine what she needs.
My DD is about 30 lb and turning three in may, So she is still on whole milk. And frankly if a child is overweight then OFCOURSE the less fat the better, but when your child is slightly average then whole milk all the way, it cant hurt him/her.
by overweight meant to say well above 50% centile.
Our oldest son is 4 and is drinking 2% milk - but we had him on homo milk (whole milk) for the longest time - that's what we transitioned him to from infant formula.  For awhile when he was over 3, we switched him to 1% just because it was easier - that's what my DH and I drink - but he started refusing milk!  His baby brother just transitioned from formula to milk and we have both boys drinking the 2% now - and our older son is drinking his milk again :)  I think he likes the richer taste of it.

I always heard that a higher fat content is preferable for little ones - it aids in brain development.
Thank you guys for your input!  It's so hard to make a decision.  On one hand, dd is only 30th percentile and is a poor eater.  Milk is one thing she really loves.  On the other hand, I want her to eat more solids since she is a poor eater.  I hoped on 1% she will eat more meat and veggies.  Plus, she prefers everything fried.  I want her to eat healthy but it's like she has a deep-fried radar and only eats fried stuff.  
Decisions, decisions...
Helen I would keep her on whole milk.Kids are so fussy around the 2-3 age and it is more important that she is getting the calories she needs.
Thanks!  I am debating between 2% and going back to whole milk right now...
Can't believe Fionn is a picky eater.  He looks like a good eater and I always want to take a bite off his cheeks when I see his pictures  :)  He has such a beautiful and sunny face!  Give him a ((hug)) for me.
Thanks Helen. I think either whole or 2% is fine as long as she is drinking her milk. We grew up drinking whole and never had an issue either way. If Anna prefers whole milk I would do that, it will mot harm her.
voted "My toddler is over 2 yo and drinks whole milk still" because I was raised on whole milk and i believe it to be better and I dont believe the government really knows what they are talking about. I will NOT give my child anything less than whole of anything. If it is something I wouldnt eat or drink Im not going to make my child eat or drink it..
It is not the government but our pediatrician who says that 1% or non-fat is best and this advice is probably based on research.  Pediatricians are trying to stop increasing childhood obesity in the US but my daughter is already pretty skinny which is why I have doubts.