Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
a head strong 2 year old

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

a head strong 2 year old

My son is very head strong person, he doens't like bed time. My problem is putting him to bed and him getting to sleep. he was in a toddler bed at 16 months because he was jumping out of his crib. At first he would get out , if we used a gate he would climb it, and we would return him to bed, eventually he would stay in bed and eventually sometimes crying sometimes not he would go to sleep on about a half hour. Now recnetly he cries to get in my bed (not happening) and gets in and out of his bed.  We start his routine bath, teeth, an episode of Mickey mouse at 7 and the last week he doesn't run out of steam until 10pm, he needs to get up at 6/6:30 and that is not enough sleep for him.  He does still take a two hour nap after lunch every day. any ideas??
I would suggest maybe skipping the tv show. I know with my daughter Caitlyn (who is 3 going on 4 in August) I had to turn the tv completely off. I would give her a glass of milk before bed/nap time and then I'd bring her into the bedroom to let her drink it. (I suggest a quiet room for him to be in before time to go to sleep. Now from all I have read I have found out that milk(or dairy products in general) promote sleep. So, after I finally got fed up with fighting with Caitlyn for HOURS about going to take a nap or going to bed at night I changed the routine up a bit. At night it is bath, milk, then in the bed and I highly suggest some soft music. I know with Caitlyn this has worked wonders! I got a cd that had nothing but soft mellow piano music on it and it really helped! Caitlyn was the same as your son. She would kick, scream, get up to play with light switches, climbed the baby gate, etc. Maybe just give it a shot? I know cutting the tv out before bed has done Caitlyn wonders. Along with the milk of course.

Well I hope I was able to help at all! Good luck and hope to hear the results some time soon!
Thanks so much for your suggestions I already cut out the TV, but I look forward to trying the music and milk :)
I would tell your son that he has a very special bed time assignment that ONLY 2 years are allowed to help with.  It's a very important job.  (kids love feeling like their a part of the grown up's world) Tell him that you can only tell him at bed time.

What time is his bed time?  2 years old I would guess 8:00 or 8:30 ish?  Make sure his afternoon nap is closer to the noon hour. Starting a nap after 3 might give him that second wind which you cant turn off till 10pm.  

After bath time, and pajamas etc... tell him that he gets to pick out, not 1 but 2 bedtime stories for you to read to him. (kids always pick novels so if you dont want that to happen I'd put those books out of sight) Tell him that he has to pick his very favorite, extra special books.  Tell him that big boys get 2 books read to them... babies only get 1 because their too little for 2. (he's at that age where he feels proud of being a big boy, so really make him think that picking out 2 books is a very big boy thing)  Tell him your bedtime story rules.  Mommy will read any 2 books that he picks but he has to lay in his bed. He can help turn pages etc but the idea is for him to unwind and relax enough so that when you're done reading he's ready to drift off.  If he starts getting up, or acting out while you're reading you need to end reading for that night.  He has to know that you mean what you say. If you say "If you lay down and be a good boy mommy will read to you"... it allows too much bargaining room for him to get his way.  Big boys get to pick 2 special books for bedtime but only for big boys who are in bed.  

As my kids grew into a new stage or age, I'd change it up by reading a book, and then telling them a bedtime story that I would make up.  You can leave the story hanging at a really interesting point,and trust me your kids can barely wait till bedtime the next night to hear the rest.

It's all about tricking.  I know that sounds devious but I mean it in a parenting way!  Making things seem grand, important, special...when we're talking about the every day little things you want kids to do....... it's all about making them think you need their help, and that only big kids can do certain special things.. like picking out books!  lol

What I would have given to have calgon take me away..... just once! lol