Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
a problem child

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

a problem child

I have a 14 y.o. son with failing grades. Grounded a lot of times. Don't know on what to do.
May I suggest you curb the punishments and find out why ...Is he okay at school any bullying, any problems in his life may affect him ?..
Yes.  I actually think most kids don't really 'like' to fail.  Does he have trouble with the learning approach at his school?  Is there any subject that he does well at or is it across the board?  What types of things BESIDES punishment have you tried to help him-------- tutoring or mentoring?  Worked with him on his schoolwork yourself?  What types of motivating things do you have in place?  By that I don't mean you buy him something great for getting good grades---------  but creating a way of making him feel good about himself for achievement is really important.  You don't want to just get good grades because mom won't be mad------------  you want to be motivated from within to be successful.  So, work on how you can create that in your home.  

He probably needs more help, make sure you provide it somehow.  good luck
Thanks for the response. My next step is to schedule my son to check for any learning disabilities?
Sorry for the mixed-up. I think i am in the wrong community. I should be in the age bracket of 10 y.o. and above community.
Yes, this is the 1 to 5 year old community but I saw your post and wanted to offer some thoughts.  

Yeah, I think I would want to investigate why he is failing.  Kids hit a certain point in school in which things get much harder.  Smart kids can slide under the radar for a few years doing alright in school and then wham---------  any difficulty learning makes their grades go way down.  Did he do alright in the past?  Is this new?  Or has it always been difficult for him?  

What do his teachers say?  He's in 8th grade or 9th?  What kind of feedback are you getting?  Have you tried anything to support his learning needs?

So, yes.  Next step is to figure out why the grades are down.  If it is a learning issue------- this is so important to know.  If it is not, there are ways to support him as well.  Some kids have a difficult time being organized for example and staying on top of what they need to do.  Developing a system to help him can go a long way.  Tutors, mentors, etc.  But if it is a learning disability--------- you have to know this to adequately allow him the chance to do well.  
good luck